PDA

View Full Version : Any sc-fi movie fans?

LWW
04-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Another list of films I suggest everyone should view at least once.

1 - Things to Come: H G Wells classic projection from early WWII forward 100 years. AMAZING FX for it's day. The Moon launch is in itself a thing of beauty. Also the group called "WINGS OVER THE WORLD" was a dream of what the UN should have been.

2 - Forbidden Planet: Shakespeare set to a sci fi setting with awesome FX for it's day. The flick from which Star Wars was largely copied. Starring Leslie Nielsen, Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis and Robbie the Robot.

3 - Ironman I: I'll probably get some flack for this pick, but I think it will age well and is a great movie.

4 - The Day the Earth Stood Still: The first one. Awesome in it's elegant simplicity.

5 - Twelve Monkeys: Perhaps the best time travel movie ever.

6 - 2001 a Space Odyssey: Every time I watch it I see something I didn't notice before. Phenomenal detail and accuracy.

7 - The Terminator: Possibly the most aired movie of all time.

8 - Metropolis: I know it's a dupe from the B&W thread, but it deserves to be on both.

9 - Star Wars I: OR whatever they call it now. No list would be complete without it.

10 - Earth vs the UFO's: No list would be complete without a cheesy classic either.

11 - From the Earth to the Moon: Anything with Woody Woodpecker explaining space flight is worth seeing.

12 - Plan 9 from Outer Space: Bela Lugosi's last hurrah. So completely horrible that it's entertaining in a very bizarre way.

pooltchr
04-07-2011, 12:03 PM
Number 4 is one of my all time favorites.

I'm not big on the monster type sci fi movies, but there are some good ones out there.

Two recent tv series', The Event, and V, have held my attention longer than a lot of tv shows for the past couple of seasons as well.

Steve

wolfdancer
04-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Plan 9.... has been called the worst movie ever made, but I side with you....it's so bad, it's good,... at least it's entertaining
"2001" still holds up well after all these years. It was even entertaining without dropping acid, although the "light show" near the end was not as exotic/intense.
How could you leave "The Third Man" off your list?
And H.G. Wells "The Time Machine", or "War of the Worlds" at least deserves special mention, no????
"Witness for the Prosecution" would be on my list, and maybe "Night of the Hunter"???

LWW
04-07-2011, 02:16 PM
There have been so many great sci fi flicks that it would be impossible to name them all.

If you want a campy one try "AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON"

cushioncrawler
04-08-2011, 05:44 AM
Time travel -- the 3 stooges meet hercules.
mac.

Sev
04-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Dam there are just so many.

Always like Tron because of the premise.

Alien.

Star Trek Movies. Yah some are better than others. However being a Trekki... .

ET.

Close Encounters.

Sev
04-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Stargate.

Stretch
04-08-2011, 08:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stargate. </div></div>

IMO nothing comes close to Avitar. I saw it at an i-max theator in 3-D. Blew me away! St.

Sev
04-08-2011, 01:52 PM
I cant wait to the next Avatar comes out.

I am also betting that Weaver returns in some form.

bobroberts
04-08-2011, 01:59 PM
I can't believe you forgot .
Close Encounters of the first time.
One off the best sci fi movie ever.

wolfdancer
04-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Dennis Weaver?
"Chester" is now starring in sci-fi flicks?
I bought Avatar on Blu-Ray for my friend's kids, and had taken them to see it awhile back, at the theater.
I never did figure out if the good guys won, or?...still can't figure it out after watching the DVD
I guess you have to be under 12 to "get it"
I think they tried to make you so uncomfortable with the audio levels, at the theater,that you would forget how bad the movie was. I stuffed candy bar wrappers in my ears and when that didn't help, stuffed the candy bars in them.
At the inflated prices one has to pay for candy/refreshments, at the movies...I think we need to revive the O.P.A. just to govern that industry.

Sev
04-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Sigourney

Sev
04-08-2011, 02:17 PM
I didnt.

wolfdancer
04-08-2011, 02:30 PM
"touche"

wolfdancer
04-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Weren't all three "stars" nominated for an academy Award for their performance in that classic?
If only they were alive today...they would be posting here on the
other side, and their posts might be more readable, maybe even make more sense?
GREAT News!!!!!
That movie is available on the net as a "free" download.
I wonder how "free" is free?

cushioncrawler
04-08-2011, 10:46 PM
I know i wont like avatar.
I think i saw a few snippets and it woz rubbish -- i wouldnt see it for free.
Bloody overdone unbeleevable krap action -- 16 frames per sec i think too -- yuk.
If they karnt do it in 32 fps then why bother.
mac.

wolfdancer
04-09-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm not sure there was an actual plot to the movie.....but when they hired a big name star like Jeff Bridges, sic...they probably had to pay him so much they couldn't afford a real script.
Hey, I just checked and they couldn't even afford an original story line. It was a remake of a 1982 animation movie (I bet they had a better cast back then)

Qtec
04-09-2011, 03:08 AM
Great idea for a film but...........shooting the guy as soon as he walks out the spacecraft?

Q

Qtec
04-09-2011, 03:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6 - 2001 a Space Odyssey: Every time I watch it I see something I didn't notice before. Phenomenal detail and accuracy. </div></div>

Finally something we can agree on. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Seen it 29 times+ and its still captivating. If it was on now I would watch it.

Q

Sev
04-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Have any of you read any of the follow up books on 2001?

They were all pretty good.

LWW
04-09-2011, 01:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have any of you read any of the follow up books on 2001?

They were all pretty good. </div></div>

2061 and 3001 ... yes I have.

Arthur C Clarke was the shizzle.

If you haven't, try "RENDEZVOUS WITH RAMA"

LWW
04-09-2011, 01:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bobroberts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't believe you forgot .
Close Encounters of the first time.
One off the best sci fi movie ever. </div></div>

Yes, it was.

LWW
04-09-2011, 01:10 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stargate. </div></div>

A great flick ... thew TV show did it no justice.