PDA

View Full Version : The regime speaks: NO DEAL!

LWW
04-07-2011, 03:09 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The White House has vowed to veto the short-term spending bill House Republicans voted on this afternoon that would provide a budgetary “safety net” while the parties work on a long-term deal.

Hours later the House passed the safety net bill anyway on a mostly party-line 247-181 vote.

Without a short-term extension, lawmakers face two options: either reach a deal on a broad bill to fund the government for the rest of this year, or else have the government shut down as of midnight Friday.

“If presented with this bill, the president will veto it,” the White House said in an official statement of policy objecting to the House’s offer. </div></div>

OH DEAR! (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/apr/7/senate-leader-reid-government-headed-shutdown/)

cushioncrawler
04-07-2011, 06:03 PM
4oheight.
Black friday.
Good friday i call it.
mac.

pooltchr
04-07-2011, 06:44 PM
So let me see if I have this straight.
The Reps in the house voted not to shut down the government.

Obama says if it gets to him, he will veto.

Now, who is it that is forcing the government shut down?????????

Steve

LWW
04-08-2011, 03:16 AM
The only acceptable answer to some would be BOOOOSH!!!!

Qtec
04-08-2011, 03:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So let me see if I have this straight.

Steve </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>March 16, 2006</span>

Faced with a potential government shutdown, the Senate votes to raise the nation's debt limit <span style='font-size: 14pt'>for the fourth time in five years.</span> The bill passed by a 52-48 vote, increasing the ceiling to $9 trillion. The bill now goes to the president.

The debt now stands at more than $8.2 trillion.

Like many cash-strapped Americans who have maxed-out credit cards, the federal government has hit its limit for borrowing funds to keep operating. <span style='font-size: 17pt'>If the limit isn't raised, the government likely will run out of borrowing authority within days, risking a shutdown.

When President Bush took office five years ago, the national debt was at $5.6 trillion; since then, big budget surpluses have collapsed into huge deficits, and the debt has shot up nearly <u>50 percent.</u>
</span>
Few lawmakers, though, wish to be on record as authorizing more debt — the House goes so far as to hike the limit automatically. And Senate Democrats are telling their Republican counterparts not to expect any help from them, particularly in an election year.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>If any amendments are attached to the Senate's debt measure, the House would be forced to vote on raising the limit</span> — <u>the last thing many lawmakers seeking re-election want to be on the record as doing.</u>

Treasury Secretary John Snow wrote congressional leaders last week, <u>imploring them to immediately raise the $8.2 trillion debt limit. The House has put the new limit at $9 trillion </u></div></div>

This would be automatic BUT ,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If any amendments are attached to the Senate's debt measure,the House would be forced to vote on raising the limit </div></div>

The GOP want to blackmail the POTUS into accepting provisions that the GOP could never get through the senate in the normal way.

Finally Obama shows some backbone.

Q

LWW
04-08-2011, 04:03 AM
You are aware that you have no idea what you are talking about?

Qtec
04-08-2011, 04:11 AM
Oh really,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WASHINGTON -- The United States government is on the verge of shutting down over a dispute about subsidized pap smears, according to sources familiar with the budget negotiations.

The White House and Senate Democrats have publicly capitulated to ever-increasing Republican demands for spending cuts, but negotiations over the budget for the remainder of the fiscal year have shifted their focus from money to so-called riders -- provisions that restrict the federal government from spending money on certain projects or entities.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>Riders are used by members of Congress <u><span style="color: #990000">to make social policy without going through the regular congressional committee process,</span></u></span> or they are used to benefit business interests <span style='font-size: 20pt'>by specifically blocking the government from spending money to write or enforce certain regulations.</span> </div></div>

link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/07/government-shutdown-planned-parenthood_n_846463.html)

I said,
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The GOP want to blackmail the POTUS into accepting provisions that <u><span style="color: #990000"><span style='font-size: 17pt'>the GOP could never get through the senate in the normal way.</span></span> </u> </div></div>

Q....pretty clear you are wrong.

LWW
04-08-2011, 04:21 AM
Thanks for proving my point.

Had the democrooks and dear leader followed their legal duty last year, a budget for this year would be in place and none of this would be an issue.

As I said, you have no clue what you are talking about ... as you so seldom do ... and are simply parroting the "OPINION" that you have been told you hold.

JohnnyD
04-08-2011, 05:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are aware that you have no idea what you are talking about? </div></div>
That is typical for him,sir.

Qtec
04-08-2011, 05:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had the democrooks and dear leader followed their legal duty last year, a budget for this year would be in place and none of this would be an issue </div></div>

Again, the raising of the debt ceiling and the Budget are two different things.

Q

LWW
04-08-2011, 05:26 AM
No, they are not.

pooltchr
04-08-2011, 06:24 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">[quote=pooltchr]So let me see if I have this straight.

Steve </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>March 16, 2006</span>

Faced with a potential government shutdown, the Senate votes to raise the nation's debt limit <span style='font-size: 14pt'>for the fourth time in five years.</span> The bill passed by a 52-48 vote, increasing the ceiling to $9 trillion. The bill now goes to the president.

The debt now stands at more than $8.2 trillion.

Q

</div></div>

March of 2006? Who passed the bill?

And, since Gayle refuses to give a straight answer to the question I asked her, maybe you will do so.

Why did the Dems, with a super majority in both houses, and control of the White House, refuse to do their job last October and pass their budget when they were supposed to?

Steve

Steve

Soflasnapper
04-08-2011, 11:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So let me see if I have this straight.

Steve </div></div>

There is no veto possible unless the House bill is passed by the Senate in identical form and presented to the president.

Since that hasn't happened, your suggestion (I guess you're suggesting it) that the fault is OBAMA's really doesn't fly.

As the Senate has agreed on the money part of the CR extension, the remaining issues that prevent the deal are the GOP rider provisions, that seek their partisan political results IN ADDITION to their monetary goals.

These are new policies that they could not get through the Congress on their own, so they are trying to leverage them in by constructively extorting these from the Democrats as their price to not close down the government.

I guess you support this kind of tyranny of the minority, or would have already called for them to knock off the culture war stuff and fund the CR already. If you do support this kind of extortionate plan from the GOP, man up and have the courage of your convictions. Don't mealy mouth out that the tactic from them isn't responsible for a shutdown, and try to duck that responsibility from your side.

This can be more clearly understood if we put all the parties to the other partisan side.

Imagine a GOP president and a GOP Senate majority at about 54, with the House under majority Democratic control. Imagine under a similar looming shutdown, the GOP had agreed with the Dems on the level of spending, but in addition, the Dems demanded as their OTHER condition that the federal government now provided funding for abortion on demand throughout the country.

Do you now see the picture?

wolfdancer
04-08-2011, 11:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you now see the picture? </div></div>
you might be asking for a little too much there, posing that tough question.....

pooltchr
04-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Did I say I blamed Obama? No, I'm quite sure that the Dem ruled Senate will keep the bill from ever reaching Obama.

The Dems had a chance to pass a budget and the chickened out. Now, they can't afford to allow the Reps to pass a bill that actually cuts the budget. It would make them look bad politically. So their course of action is to try and shut down the government, and blame the Reps.

I have said it before, and will continue to say it. The political maneuvering and one upmanship played by the two parties is the single greatest factor that has resulted in the economic mess we are in right now.

Steve

Soflasnapper
04-08-2011, 11:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did I say I blamed Obama? No, I'm quite sure that the Dem ruled Senate will keep the bill from ever reaching Obama.

The Dems had a chance to pass a budget and the chickened out. Now, they can't afford to allow the Reps to pass a bill that actually cuts the budget. It would make them look bad politically. So their course of action is to try and shut down the government, and blame the Reps.

I have said it before, and will continue to say it. The political maneuvering and one upmanship played by the two parties is the single greatest factor that has resulted in the economic mess we are in right now.

Steve </div></div>

The Dems AGREED to cut $33 billion (whatever, close to that). That was the number the GOP had asked for through Boehner. The Dems will give them that cut in the next minute if the GOP will drop their riders, which are not about the money but about prosecuting their culture war issues. WHY WON'T THE GOP TAKE YES FOR AN ANSWER???

The actual reason the country's budget is hosed is the disproportional influence of big money (on both parties, btw), and a continuing obdurate refusal of big money to agree they have ANY responsibility to help close these budgetary gaps by some level of sacrifice at any level whatsover.

To me, if the ship's going down, the higher priced cabin travelers need to do their part, wait their turn for the women and children to get in the lifeboats first, and etc. Instead, they're waving around their bankrolls and causing them to be let onto the lifeboats first, and only they can fit.

LWW
04-08-2011, 02:29 PM
I largely agree with that.

cushioncrawler
04-08-2011, 10:48 PM
What happened?? Who won?? Who kame sekond??
mac.

Qtec
04-09-2011, 01:22 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess you support this kind of tyranny </div></div>

Obviously he does.

O'Donnell points the hypocrisy to a Republican.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Despite the fact that the funding for Planned Parenthood only accounts for a tiny portion of the budget, Rep. Tom Graves (R-GA) insisted to MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell that this assault on women's reproductive rights and health care was somehow about getting our deficit under control.

I'm not sure how someone like this guy sleeps at night because given the smirk on his face as O'Donnell laid into him for playing politics with women's health care, he thinks this is some kind of a game. It's a deadly game they're playing and one where they obviously don't care how many lives might be lost in the process of either threatening to or actually shutting down the government, <span style='font-size: 14pt'>or as a result of their extremist ideology.</span>

And as far as his claim that the Republicans are somehow doing "the will of the American people", well here are some polls to the contrary: </div></div>

link (http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/heather/lawrence-odonnell-lays-rep-tom-graves-bein)

Q

Qtec
04-09-2011, 01:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have said it before, and will continue to say it. The political maneuvering and one upmanship played by the two parties is the single greatest factor that has resulted in the economic mess we are in right now.

Steve </div></div>

BS. The " political maneuvering and one upmanship" [ sic ]is coming from one side only.

This recession was caused by Wall St fraud/greed and you and the GOP want the poorest people to pay for it. That's the bottom line. You and the TP have been spoon fed lies and you lap it up to the extent that you and they are willing to vote AGAINST their own best interests.

Crazy.

Q

pooltchr
04-09-2011, 07:05 AM
It's really a shame that you try so hard to participate in a discussion about which you know absolutely nothing.

Steve

LWW
04-09-2011, 07:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What happened?? Who won?? Who kame sekond??
mac. </div></div>

1 - Lameness.

2 - Nobody.

3 - Everybody.