PDA

View Full Version : Who invented the billiards jump shot?

Dozer
04-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Who invented the billiards jump shot?

Rich R.
04-08-2011, 02:29 PM
I don't know but the jump shot has been around a long time. Of course, many years ago, jump shots were done with full cues.

Fran Crimi
04-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Right. Players were shooting jump shots in 14.1 long before 9- ball. Years ago, jump shots weren't necessary in 9-ball because they were playing rollout on any shot. But in 14.1 they were jumping the cue ball into the rack to break up the balls if their break shot was too straight, among other tricks.

People started jumping shots in 9 ball once the rules were changed to one-foul ball in hand. I believe that several pros perfected it at the same time due to the rule changes. Pat Fleming may have been one of the earliest to perfect the jump shot with a full cue. Earl was another. But there were several others.

By the time jumping with a full cue was perfected, along came Sammy Jones who I believe was the first to execute jump shots with only a shaft. That was the beginnings of the short jump cue.

eg8r
04-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Some guy from long ago that got tired of kicking out. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r

LWW
04-09-2011, 01:44 PM
A basketball player by the name of Billy Yards.

Deeman3
04-10-2011, 04:24 PM
Yep, Sammy Jones sawed off the first one just to piss Earl off! :). JK

wolfdancer
04-10-2011, 04:27 PM
I did, forgetting to chalk up on a draw shot

BCA Master Instr
04-11-2011, 07:06 AM
I have a Pool Book from 1852 detailing the jump shot.
randyg

Deeman3
04-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Randy,

Exactly 100 years before my birth and I thought they were probably using maces back then! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Fran Crimi
04-12-2011, 06:17 AM
Haha! You're right. That sent Earl through the roof.

Hey DeeMan, remember those horrible looking rods that were around for awhile? They looked like cattle prods.

Deeman3
04-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Fran, Yes, I remember them! I must have five or six jump cues but most tournaments I play don't allow them. Sorta with Earl on this one, I'd prefer only allowing your normal cue but don't want to put jump cue makers out of business! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dawn would disown us!

04-12-2011, 10:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haha! You're right. That sent Earl through the roof.

Hey DeeMan, remember those horrible looking rods that were around for awhile? They looked like cattle prods. </div></div>

Weren't they made out of aluminum and called "jump rods" or something like that?

Sid_Vicious
04-12-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm not clear on why they are continuing to get banned in different venues of pool, unless it sour grapes by those who choose not to learn how to use them. There is an art to jumps, and even the TV pros in their games where the jumpers are allowed, flub getting over balls that should have been made, jumping all the way off the table,,,so that little shorty ain't the free pass out of lock up if you don't learn the mechanics correctly. I'd about pull my sponsorship from some of those I've seen who top the blocking ball so badly in serious matches with the short cue for not being proficient for that choice of shots. I know just what you'll say, "The pros don't practice much with the short cues." Well, then don't use them during serious competition if you haven't gotten proficient with at least clearing a blocker sitting 1.5 to 2 balls away or more. Point is, it's not all in the shorter cue, it's in the player too, which I think makes it just another part of pool. The crowd loves them too, which this sport of ours dearly needs today, public attraction.

Might as well ban the long putter in golf too. sid

Fran Crimi
04-12-2011, 05:07 PM
Dawn? You've got me wondering...I'm missing the connection.

Now, if you said Robin, I'd get it right away.

BCA Master Instr
04-13-2011, 07:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not clear on why they are continuing to get banned in different venues of pool, unless it sour grapes by those who choose not to learn how to use them. There is an art to jumps, and even the TV pros in their games where the jumpers are allowed, flub getting over balls that should have been made, jumping all the way off the table,,,so that little shorty ain't the free pass out of lock up if you don't learn the mechanics correctly. I'd about pull my sponsorship from some of those I've seen who top the blocking ball so badly in serious matches with the short cue for not being proficient for that choice of shots. I know just what you'll say, "The pros don't practice much with the short cues." Well, then don't use them during serious competition if you haven't gotten proficient with at least clearing a blocker sitting 1.5 to 2 balls away or more. Point is, it's not all in the shorter cue, it's in the player too, which I think makes it just another part of pool. The crowd loves them too, which this sport of ours dearly needs today, public attraction.

Might as well ban the long putter in golf too. sid </div></div>

Well stated Sid. I agree 100%
randyg

Deeman3
04-17-2011, 04:13 PM
I did mean Robin! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sid, anyone can learn to jump with a light cue but it took much more skill with your normal playing cue!

wolfdancer
04-17-2011, 04:58 PM
that is amazing. I've seen a few old books on the game, but none that date back that far.

FCrimi
04-17-2011, 05:12 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deeman3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did mean Robin! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sid, anyone can learn to jump with a light cue but it took much more skill with your normal playing cue! </div></div>

True, Dee Man, but here's the thing, as I know you know: Basic jump shots do take more skill with a full cue, but the jump cue gives you more options to explore, like learning how to master jumping with draw, follow and sidespin. Those take some real skills to master and nothing to shake a stick at (Yikes. Bad pun).

I I figured you meant Robin. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

wolfdancer
04-17-2011, 06:06 PM
I remember Robin demonstrating (and selling) jump cues at one of the trade shows that I attended. I even bought one from her, but the local rules prohibited their use at the time