PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new cue

BluesTele
04-09-2011, 05:22 AM
I'm plan on getting a new cue and have it down to either a
Cuetec R360 or the Meucci Demo Cue with Black Dot shaft.

Any owners of either of these cues can offer me any pro/con comments.
I can't decide, I'd appreciate any assistance.

Rich R.
04-09-2011, 07:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BluesTele</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I'm plan on getting a new cue and have it down to either a
Cuetec R360 or the Meucci Demo Cue with Black Dot shaft.

Any owners of either of these cues can offer me any pro/con comments.
I can't decide, I'd appreciate any assistance. </div></div>
Frankly, I wouldn't choose either of those cues but, then again, it is your choice and cues are very personal.

How did you narrow your choice down to those two?
Have you every hit balls with either one of those cues?
What other cues have you considered and did you hit balls with them?

Mainly, I'm just curious about how you narrowed down your choices.

BluesTele
04-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Never hit with them.

I basically choose them just from their advertising.
I especially thought that Meucci was highly rated ?

Why wouldn't you use either of these ?

And what would you recommend.

LWW
04-09-2011, 01:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BluesTele</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Never hit with them.

And what would you recommend. </div></div>

Old Meuccis were.

Newer Meuccis are, IMHO, grossly overpriced ... although I have always loved the "GAMBLER" cues.

A stick I strongly suggest you consider is the Predator line.

bradb
04-09-2011, 06:11 PM
It basically comes down to what you feel comfortable with. Try a variety of quality cues at your local billiard supply a until you find what feels best in your hands. Hopefully they will let you try it out. No sense paying a lot of money for something you may regret.

Some players like a Preditor, some don't, for me it like my Lucassi.

-Brad

Sid_Vicious
04-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Lucasi is a very good hitter for a Chinese made cue. I liked every one of them that I hit with, and own one now. I never owned a Meucci in all of my playing career. Hit with some. Most were too strange for my taste, too whippy. I do seem to remember the black dot was pretty solid. It may be OK.

Do you already own another cue now? sid

Rich R.
04-10-2011, 12:34 AM
Never hit with them.

And what would you recommend. </div></div>
As you can figure out from the statements from others, choosing a cue is very personal. It is what feels best to YOU.
Try as many different cues as you can before making a choice. Find a cue that feels good to you.

I would also recommend you find a custom cue maker in your area, preferably a member of the American Cuemakers Association. Save your money until you can afford an entry level cue by that cue maker and go from there.

BluesTele
04-10-2011, 06:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lucasi is a very good hitter for a Chinese made cue. I liked every one of them that I hit with, and own one now. I never owned a Meucci in all of my playing career. Hit with some. Most were too strange for my taste, too whippy. I do seem to remember the black dot was pretty solid. It may be OK.

Do you already own another cue now? sid </div></div>

hi sid,

i own 2 - 30 year old mali's.

i have watched all the videos on meucci's site and i am
leaning a little towards a meucci with the black dot shaft.

i have posted this thread on other billiard forums
and i'm really surprised that alot of players do not
like either cuetec or meucci...

tom

pooltchr
04-10-2011, 06:32 AM
There is a reason for the negative feedback you are getting. Cuetec made their name by selling the fiberglass coated shafts. And when they are new, it's not bad, but over time that finish tends to get sticky, and creates extra drag.
Meucci, as was pointed out, used to be very highly regarded, but in recent years, quality and customer service have seemed to decline.
Take almost any Meucci in your hand, and gently run your finger over the edges of the inlays. In most cases, you will find that the inlays aren't flush. To me, that is unacceptable in a cue of that price range.

That being said, the best advice is already posted. Try as many different cues as you can. In your price range, you should be looking at Fury, Lucasi, Pechaeur, McDermott, and a few others. And if quality rates over style, you might find a plane jane or sneaky pete from a custom cue maker that is within your budget.

Steve

Bambu
04-10-2011, 07:55 AM
As Steve said, I can only agree here....not much more to say. Predator is the new Meucci, and cuetec just isnt wood. I would look for a base line or sneaky pete model mcdermott, joss, huebler, or predator. Either that, or even a used cue could do the job. Whatever you do, choose a cue you have tried before. (Or, you may not even like it.)

L_Vigus
04-10-2011, 08:02 AM
I would save your money and play with the Mali Cues. If you have to have a new cue, buy one because of how it plays. Not because of thier marketing. Post where you live and play. There are some serious collectors and dealers on these fourms that might let you hit with some of thier cues. They may even have some for sale.

Larry

LWW
04-10-2011, 09:16 AM
Viking also makes a very nice cue.

L_Vigus
04-10-2011, 09:46 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Viking also makes a very nice cue. </div></div>

Used to, they went under recently. Hard to compete in the cue market right now. Competion from China and the fact that new hobbiest builders( I am one) are poping up on every street corner. Makes things tough for everybody, except the people selling to the new builder/assemblers!

Larry

Sid_Vicious
04-10-2011, 11:56 AM
How much money is in your budget? If you simply want a new cue with firm hit, and are looking at say $200, and don't have the availability for trying several cues locally, then I'd just look at an online seller with good prices on the Lucasi that appeals to you by the looks alone. If your budget approaches or passes $300+, then I would find a prominent custom cue builder and wrangle for one of their sneaky petes.

I liked the Mali cues I played with years ago. If you like that hit, then McDermott, Viking(better than McD)...the list is pretty endless for the Mali recreation.

How much is the black dot demo selling for? I ain't entirely discounting that cue if it's reasonable. That one black dot I played with hit to my liking. I just lost any interest in Meucci cues years ago when they were dual purpose,,,pool and fly rods. They wisely, IMO, drifted away from the whippy shafts a little over time.

Like I said, if you have some cash burning a hole in your pocket and simply want yourself a new cue without the hassle, then I'd jump on a Lucasi. I never heard of a bad Lucasi. sid

I also want to give Meucci some positive. There are several good players around here I know that won't play with anything else. I'm not sure if those are "old school players" and they like the cues just because they grew up with them, or what. I assume the latter though, plus new owners might be just like you and go with their advertising. jm2c sv

cushioncrawler
04-10-2011, 04:10 PM
I hav heard of some crazy cheap deals on topline cues at cash converters (pawn shop in usofa i think).
$1000 cues for $100.
mac.

Deeman3
04-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Way back in my salad days, a good cue was hard to find. I started with a Palmer and then a Balabuska. Now, if you pay more than a couple humored bucks it is hard to buy a bad cue. Bob Meucci largely lost his reputation by not standing behind his products and, although he certainly was an innovator in the early days using precision toolmaker skills and tools (I was there, in Memphis from the start) much of his new stuff is not based in science or real research, IMO. Shaft orientation is dependent on several factors, where you are hitting the cue ball, and if you think about hitting the same place on a tip on most shots is not a great concept.

Anyway, listen to these guys as they know what they arentalking about but hit a few different onesmbeforemdeciding.

Good luck, by the way, I love my Schoen, my Adams, then my Balabuska in that order!

bradb
04-11-2011, 04:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lucasi is a very good hitter for a Chinese made cue. I liked every one of them that I hit with, and own one now. I never owned a Meucci in all of my playing career. Hit with some. Most were too strange for my taste, too whippy. I do seem to remember the black dot was pretty solid. It may be OK.

Do you already own another cue now? sid </div></div>

I love my 18.5 wt. Lucasi it has a nice balance and feel. I even kept the medium hard tip that came with it which I break with occasionally and it never loses shape. I've had it since I last talked to you about buying cues, thanks for the steer that way. Its a medium priced cue about 300 bucks. I think most cues are chinese made now, we can't compete with them over here.

I bought a fiberglass over wood Cuetec snooker cue for playing snooker which I like because it has the classic wedge handle. But I don't like their pool cues at all. Have'nt had any trouble with stickyness on the fiberglass but I hate the carbonite cues which really grab your skin.

Brad

SpiderMan
04-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Is the "black dot" shaft a flat-laminated shaft marked with a black circle (white dot in center of circle)? If so, I'd stay away from it - the ferrule is thin, weak, and apparently poorly-glued. I've had to replace several ferrules on fairly-new Meucci cues of this description because the attachment between ferrule and tenon broke down.

Actually, Meucci shafts in general seem to have more ferrule problems than typical. They tend to have a thicker tenon, which means that the ferrule walls are quite thin. I believe this leads to impact deformation which breaks the glue bond. Whenever I re-ferrule a broken Meucci, I trim the tenon down a little to accept a ferrule of conventional thickness, attach with slow-cure epoxy glue, and that seems to hold up quite well.

If you get in a bar fight, don't hit anyone with a Meucci - it won't hold up.

SpiderMan

bluey2king
04-19-2011, 09:12 AM
I love my Lucasi! I gave up my Viking for it! I did put a Predator shaft on it...and have since move to a OB-1 shaft. but I love my turquiouse Lucasi (they don't make this model any more).

JJFSTAR
04-20-2011, 07:10 AM
Here is a post from a short time ago this is how I feel about getting a cue. The question is about tip diameter but it says a lot about new equipment.

Tip diameter or taper, like all pool equipment (of quality) is a personal preference and varies in importance from one individual to another. Figure out what you really like to shoot with by trying out lots of different equipment.

IMHO you have been the victim of a very poor line of thinking
Originally Posted By: JasonWDTX
A couple years ago an older gentleman (hustler back in his day) started teaching me all he knew, he told me to get a pro taper down to 11mm so I did that.

The question is why did he tell you to go out and buy that? I can tell you why; because HE shoots great with it and he thinks that when HE discovered that a pro taper with a small tip improved his game that a pro taper with a small tip will improve EVERYONES game.

This may at first sound a little silly but it is just to prove a point. Efren plays/played with a $13 cue for some time, so should we all go out and get that same model? Of course not that’s silly but with all due respect to your teacher that is exactly what he told you to do.

Sooner or later you will find the stick (assuming you “try out” lots of different pool equipment) that feels right. It will give a report when you hit the ball that you will find pleasing, it will have a feel that slides in and out of your bridge effortlessly, a grip with the material and thickness that you really like and you might even like the color.

There is no person on earth no matter how knowledgeable they happen to be about the game that can tell you what that is!!!

There is so much new stuff out there it is now more than ever a daunting task to find your perfect mate but keep searching. It may be that brand new “ultimate weapon” made by Meucci it may be some custom cue makers cue in some city that you haven’t even been to but it is worth the effort to find it.

Dennis-SL7
04-21-2011, 06:50 AM
I think older Meucci's are very good cues. I had one with the black dot shaft and liked it til I played with a Schon with a Predator shaft. Naturally I would recommend the Schon, but the key is you must shoot with the cue and really like it before you purchase. I would also recommend staying away from any shaft that is not wood.
Good luck!

BluesTele
04-21-2011, 05:53 PM
After all the negative posts on this and other forums concerning Cuetec and Meucci, I re-evaluated my choices.
I upped my budget to it's limit and I'm getting a Predator, sneaky with the steel joint, wrap and a 30" 314-2 shaft.

Hopefully I'm making a better decision.

As a saving grace both online retailers that carry this offer a great return policy !
Both are out of stock and will be getting them in mid-May.
The waiting is a little painful...

Sid_Vicious
04-21-2011, 06:05 PM
I think you'll like the Predator. sid

JJFSTAR
04-22-2011, 07:01 AM
The probability of you liking this cue is very high. The 314 – 2 is a great shaft; Predator makes a great cue. But it is my opinion that you should continue to try out different sticks when the opportunity presents itself.

I shoot really well with the 314 – 2, Z2, I2 & 3, GCore. They are all great shafts (for me). However the possibility that this is the BEST cue for you never having shot with it before is not as good as you might think right now. You are buying a great cue; but don’t discontinue your search for your “perfect mate”.

Rich R.
04-22-2011, 07:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are buying a great cue; but don’t discontinue your search for your “perfect mate”. </div></div>
This is great advise.

I will also add, don't limit your search to aftermarket shafts. Some cue makers make some great shafts to go with their cues. Don't assume that, if you buy a custom cue, you have to add an aftermarket shaft. Frankly, I prefer the shafts that came with several of my custom cues over any aftermarket shafts.

Bambu
04-22-2011, 08:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BluesTele</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After all the negative posts on this and other forums concerning Cuetec and Meucci, I re-evaluated my choices.
I upped my budget to it's limit and I'm getting a Predator, sneaky with the steel joint, wrap and a 30" 314-2 shaft.

Hopefully I'm making a better decision.

As a saving grace both online retailers that carry this offer a great return policy !
Both are out of stock and will be getting them in mid-May.
The waiting is a little painful...
</div></div>

I think you made a great choice too. Careful with the return policy though, some sound great but they dont allow you to chalk the tip. Should still be an easy sell if you somehow dont like it, and have to keep it.

pooltchr
04-22-2011, 08:49 AM
One other thing about Predator. Be careful who you let work on it. Anything other than changing tips can void the warranty if done by someone not authorized to work on them.

Good choice!

Steve

BlakeW
10-28-2011, 11:29 AM
Love my Huebler sneaky pete.