PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 Racking

Harry B
04-09-2011, 06:30 AM
I've read that in racking 14.1 the 15 ball should be placed at the apex with the 1 and 5 balls at the wings.
Does anyone know why? What purpose is served?

Rich R.
04-09-2011, 07:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harry B</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've read that in racking 14.1 the 15 ball should be placed at the apex with the 1 and 5 balls at the wings.
Does anyone know why? What purpose is served? </div></div>
That is pretty much old school.

At one time, that method of racking for the opening break may have been in the rules or it may have been just a matter of tradition. I'm not sure which. The only reason I can see for it is that the 1 and 5 balls are bright colors and easy for the breaker to see. I have no guess as to why the 15 ball would be placed in front.

In recent years, I believe any random racking of the balls is acceptable.

Brian in VA
04-10-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm unaware of the rule about the 15 ball but the 1 and 5 are to be placed at the corners, for the reason that Rich gave. It's to make it easier to see the edge of those balls.

Brian in VA

Harry B
04-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the input...I'm sure the rule/tradition about the 15 ball is pretty old and most likely no longer valid.

Rich R.
04-12-2011, 06:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian in VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm unaware of the rule about the 15 ball but the 1 and 5 are to be placed at the corners, for the reason that Rich gave. It's to make it easier to see the edge of those balls.

Brian in VA </div></div>
Brian, is the rule about the 1 and 5 in the corners still on the books or is more tradition at this point?
I've seen some top notch players not placing the 1 & 5 balls in the corners in tournament play.

Brian in VA
04-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Nope, it's in the book still. At least it was the last time I looked it - only on the opening break.

Brian in VA

FCrimi
04-13-2011, 05:50 PM
I've just checked the latest version of World Standardized Rules and there is no mention of placing any particular balls when racking in 14.1.

Brian in VA
04-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks for looking! I hadn't checked yet.

Brian in VA