PDA

View Full Version : table cover

ihatecars
04-09-2011, 08:06 AM
I am looking for a table cover for my 8'. What type/material is suggested? Is heavy duty vinyl good? What about naugahyde?

cushioncrawler
04-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Why?? Duz the sun shine on it???
mac.

ihatecars
04-10-2011, 08:55 AM
Yes, and also to keep dust or anything else unwanted off. (food, etc)

LWW
04-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Naugas are a very small animal so it would take many hides to cover a table.

Seriously, anything non porous should do fine.

cushioncrawler
04-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Your cover shood be a big one to keep the sun off the whole table, not just the top.

Just then i put my cover on one end of my 12' table to keep the morning sun off. And i will be praktising at the other end. I kood just shut the blinds, but its cold this week and we need the sunshine heat. Plus i hav my billiard room wood heater burning too.
mac.

Rich R.
04-12-2011, 06:55 AM
Frankly, I think you will use your table more if you don't cover it. I know it only takes a minute to uncover it, but, some days you will feel like that uncovering is a big chore and you won't play. Good window coverings may be a better choice.
If you must cover it, the lighter the cover the better, to make it easier to uncover.
As for the sun, it shines on my table all of the time but a lot depends on your table. I have a mid priced Brunswick and the finish on my table is not natual wood. It is a laminate product similar to that used on the Gold Crowns. My room has a southern exposure with large windows and I have had no sun damage at all. A natual wood table would be much more sensitive to the sun.

Brian in VA
04-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Last thing to consider is whether or not you have pets. I have cats and dogs at my house. The dogs don't care if you cover it or not. The cats only seem to care if you don't cover it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I've managed to not have any pet damage so far and I like the way it makes the table look. It also keeps people off it unless I approve. Teenagers, don't you know.

Brian in VA

FCrimi
04-13-2011, 05:43 PM
The problem I found with covers is that once you put one on a table, you and the rest of your family are tempted to lay things on top. One of the all time favorites is clothes, but then other heavier things start to pile up on it.

I'm not saying you shouldn't cover your table. It will definitely keep the dust off and out of the pockets, which can be a real pain to clean. But if you think you or your family will lay stuff on it, then get something heavy to protect it.