PDA

View Full Version : Pool-Themed Music

SpiderMan
04-11-2011, 01:59 PM
I always record my team's matches at all of our major tourneys, and give a DVD to each player afterwards. Last weekend we took 1st in the "Second Chance" bracket at the TX State 8-Ball tournament, and I wanted to do something a little different.

I'm reviewing all the matches and putting together a highlights video - short vignettes featuring great shots and runouts. Now I want some feel-good fun pool music for the sound track.

Other than Jonny Lang's "Rack 'em Up", I'm drawing a blank on what to use. I need about 15 minutes, 4 or 5 songs.

Suggestions?

SpiderMan

pooltchr
04-11-2011, 02:35 PM
You don't mess around with Jim

Jim Croce

you don't mess around with jim

Steve

Bambu
04-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Pantera- New Level

Snap- I've got the power

Herbie Hancock- Rockit

Missile Troy- Detachable penis

Marilyn Manson -Tainted Love

Sid_Vicious
04-11-2011, 05:21 PM
Why not use the sound track from COM? I would be surprised if SPetty doesn't have a small collection of her own also. sid

pooltchr
04-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Richard Elliott did a jazz album 7 or 8 years ago called Ricochet...all the music was inspired by his love of the game of pool. One of my favorites is a cut called Corner Pocket.

Since it's all instrumental jazz, anyone who didn't know probably wouldn't know it was pool related......but now you know!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Steve

JJFSTAR
04-12-2011, 01:00 AM
Mack the Knife - Kurt Weill with lyrics by Bertolt; but there are many other versions that would be nice.

dg-in-centralpa
04-12-2011, 09:01 AM
George Thorogood-Bad to the Bone

DG

Soflasnapper
04-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Paul Simon's Late in the Evening. (sez, 'some guys were shooting pool,' but warning, also sez, 'went outside and smoked myself a j').

A couple of people have songs called 'Dirty Pool,' (Sublime and I think Lenny Kravitz, not sure. However, when I've played those out of curiosity it's hard to hear any references or I don't remember what they were in any case).

I like Kravitz' 'Straight Cold Player,' although I get the impression it's about the ladies more than pool (I don't care and I take it the other way).

'Maggie May' ("take my daddy's cue and make a living out of playing pool.")

The problem with the songs that merely reference pool is that they mainly never mention it again, so any obvious connection is lost.

SpiderMan
04-12-2011, 02:30 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mack the Knife - Kurt Weill with lyrics by Bertolt; but there are many other versions that would be nice. </div></div>

I didn't remember "Mack the Knife" being about pool. The version I'm remembering was by Bobby Darin.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
04-12-2011, 02:31 PM
Were there any songs on that soundtrack that were actually about playing pool? I can't remember it from the movie.

SpiderMan
04-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Nice tune, good background music. Might use it if I can't find enough songs that are actually about pool. In a similar vein, "Who Let the Dogs Out?" by Baja Men is one I've used before.

SpiderMan
04-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Good one, not really about pool but does have a few references in it. Thanks!

SpiderMan
04-12-2011, 02:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem with the songs that merely reference pool is that they mainly never mention it again, so any obvious connection is lost. </div></div>

Yes, that's what I'm finding also. The only real "pool" song I've found so far is "Rack 'em Up".

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
04-12-2011, 02:38 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pantera- New Level

Snap- I've got the power

Herbie Hancock- Rockit

Missile Troy- Detachable penis

Marilyn Manson -Tainted Love
</div></div>

I haven't heard any of these - are they actually about playing pool, or do they just mention it once?

Sid_Vicious
04-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Don't think so, that music just always brings pool to my mind instantly. sid

Fran Crimi
04-12-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm partial to this one. It's not pool-specific but it may as well be:

It's My Life
lyrics
Songwriters: Bon Jovi, Jon; Martin, Max; Sambora, Richard S;

This ain't a song for the brokenhearted
No silent prayer for the faith departed
And I ain't gonna be just a face in the crowd
You're gonna hear my voice when I shout it out loud

It's my life
It's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just wanna live while I'm alive

(It's my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said, "I did it my way"
'Cause it's my life

This is for the ones who stood their ground
For Tommy and Gina who never backed down
Tomorrow's getting harder, make no mistake
Luck ain't even lucky, gotta make your own breaks

It's my life
And it's now or never

(It's my life)
'Cause it's my life

You better stand tall
When they're calling you out
Don't bend, don't break
Baby, don't back down

It's my life
It's now or never
'Cause I ain't gonna live forever

(It's my life)

(It's my life)
And it's now or never

(It's my life)
'Cause it's my life!

Soflasnapper
04-13-2011, 10:16 AM
"What's the use of calling shots, if the cue ain't straight in line? Cue ball's made of styrofoam, and no one's got the time."

Mississippi Half-step Uptown Toodleoo, Grateful Dead

Or like Fran's suggestion, something just sports oriented in general, like Queen's 'We are the champions,' especially if you have some scene lifting trophies over your heads.

Maybe Aerosmith's cover of 'Train Kept a Rollin.'

JJFSTAR
04-13-2011, 02:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I didn't remember "Mack the Knife" being about pool. The version I'm remembering was by Bobby Darin.

SpiderMan </div></div>

I don’t think Mack the Knife is about pool but then again nor are most of the suggestions here. But the 1st verse is poolesque enough for me.

Oh, the shark has pretty teeth, dear
And it shows them pearly white
Just a jackknife has MacHeath, babe
And it keeps it way out of sight
When that shark bites with his teeth, dear
Scarlet billows begin to spread
Fancy gloves, wears old MacHeath, babe
So there's never, never a trace of red

The reason I suggested it was because it has been used in “pool themed” videos before. Although the one below is not great because the guy they chose obviously is no tournament pool player and that spoils it to a point for people like us it is just an example.

The main reason I suggested it is because of its crescendo. This generally lifts the spirits musicians know this, so do speech writers and pyrotechnic display artists for that matter

http://vimeo.com/7526456

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UxGRcywG8w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW1tsONEI_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKN5SRq1V7Q (same song)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh7Phh7aliA&feature=related (same song different vid)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLuJM1_WEeA&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcnoaEsEz7E&feature=player_embedded#at=29

These are a few examples. I think you should take some artistic freedom and really do this right it sounds so very good but if I were you I would not be bound by a constriction like “the music should be or even needs to be about pool”

Much luck on your video.

Brian in VA
04-13-2011, 03:36 PM
Don't forget Bob Seger's Main Street which refers to a pool hall in the second verse.

We Can't Dance by Genesis refers to pool in the last verse, too.

Brian in VA

KAM007
04-14-2011, 12:38 AM
Sweet Dreams-Eurthmics. I heard it as a backdrop for a Strickland match.

KAM007
04-14-2011, 12:44 AM
Woops, spelled the artist name wrong, Sweet Dreams - Eurythmics

Bambu
04-14-2011, 06:54 AM
Some great tunes here, nice!

One more would be giant pants MC Hammer-

U cant touch this!

Another one, usually not my style but I love the hamsters:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hamster+commercal+lyrics&aq=f

You can get with this(missed shot) or you can get with that(winning shot).

SpiderMan
04-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Hey, thanks for all the suggestions. Can't start on my editing until after tax weekend, but here's what I've decided to do:

I'll consolidate each player's games onto personal DVDs and hand them out as souvenirs. This is no different from what I always do after a major tournament.

I'll then ask each player to review his matches and point out what scenes he'd like to see in our "highlights" video. These are the clips that I'll put to the background music.

Rather than trying to find 15 minutes of "real pool" music (responses here indicate it doesn't exist), I'm going to edit the shooting segments by removing the "dead" time where players are studying the table, walking around, etc. My goal will be to get it down to "action only" and cover it with one song. I may also include close-up shots of the tournament board, which I photographed before we left. Haven't decided on all the details, and will probably change the storyboard a few times before I'm satisfied.

For background music, I'll decide between the pool-related "Rack 'em Up", or a generic-but-lively "spirit-lifting" piece. If the latter, I'm leaning toward "Who Let the Dogs Out" (Baja Men), "Call Me The Breeze" (Skynyrd), something by George Thorogood, or maybe an old Steppenwolf tune. Final choice will probably be dictated by the actual length required. I used "Call Me the Breeze" in a biker reunion video a few years ago, and most folks said they liked it even though it had nothing to do with motorcycles.

After I finish, I'll post it on my Funkychateau YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/FunkyChateau) and Funkychateau Vimeo (http://vimeo.com/user1426141/videos/sort:oldest) channels, and we'll run it in the media room at our team party before 'Vegas.

SpiderMan

Bambu
04-15-2011, 06:16 AM
Oh man, who let the dogs out is so fitting, perfect!

JJFSTAR
04-15-2011, 09:42 AM
I agree with Bambu “Who let the dogs out” sounds like an excellent choice for what you are describing.

SpiderMan
04-15-2011, 02:12 PM
This Queen song would be interesting, if I hadn't already used it in a video, but maybe I'll relent: http://www.youtube.com/user/FunkyChateau#p/u/8/KmuGH36QAOk

SpiderMan

cushioncrawler
04-15-2011, 03:03 PM
"Down by Law" - Jim Jarmush
" I have killda ha mana - Eight ball - good ball !"

Duzz anyone know of theze words from the film.
Are they song lyrics???
mac.

mlwjoplinmo
06-09-2011, 03:55 AM
The Color of Money song is Ware Wolves of London by Warren Zevon. Another one I like is Kyrptonite by 3 Doors Down.

eg8r
06-09-2011, 11:19 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I used "Call Me the Breeze" in a biker reunion video a few years ago, and most folks said they liked it even though it had nothing to do with motorcycles.
</div></div>I was going to mention Filter - Hey Man Nice Shot but it had nothing to do with pool even though you could time out certain edits to make it appear so.

eg8r &lt;~~~figured the song wasn't really "feel good" but it could fit if the people don't try and figure out the real meaning behind the song. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif