PDA

View Full Version : Cue / Tip Questions

09-12-2002, 01:45 PM
I'm a newbie (as the handle would imply) trying to get some idea of the equipment some of you more serious players are using so I don't wind up buying something I'll have to replace later on. If you guys wouldn't mind sharing with me a few bits of info, I (and my game) would appreciate it.

A) What kind of cue do you use as your playing cue, the one you take all your normal shots with? What weight is it? Anything particularly good or bad about it?

B) Do you use a break/jump cue? If so what kind and what do you like/hate about it?

C) Are you particular about the kind of tip on your cue? Do you play with a Talisman or Moori tip? Are you a dime or nickel player?

I'm sure it seems like a lot of crap to ask you guys, but most pool players I've ever talked to love prattling on about their favorite stick, so I figured I'd give it a shot. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

09-12-2002, 01:57 PM
Joel Hercek custom cue, 18.9 oz. It is beautifully balanced.
Moori Hard tips with dime shape.
Gulyassy Jump/Break cue--jumps like a rabbit/breaks like a train.

When buying a cue, I would suggest finding a dealer where you can try before you buy, since balance and feel are often the deciding factors. One advantage to multiple shafts is being able to try different tips until you find what works best for you.

My choice of Moori tips is based on consistency. I don't think they are necessarily better than some others, but they are very consistent from one tip to the next.

09-12-2002, 02:11 PM

09-12-2002, 02:31 PM
Predator SPW 18.3 ounces w/ Moori MH tip. I like the feel of a wood-to-wood joint and the simplicity of the sneaky pete Pred cue. Moori tip is my choice just like what the others said, consistent and gets a good grab of the cueball.

09-12-2002, 09:05 PM
I'm playing with a Phillippi right now until my Ginacue gets here in December, 19.5 ounces 12.75mm shaft with a Moori medium tip. I also have a 20 ounce Predator BK that breaks great, don't have a jump cue because I hate em. I don't know about the old nickel or dime thing, I belive the tip of your cue should have the same curvature as a billiard ball, but thats just my opinion.

If you're just starting out, I would probably recommend something like a Lucasi cue with a good old LePro tip, they are very good quality cues for the money and things like weight and shaft size are all about whatever you feel the most comfortable with. oh yeah get a break cue too /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Ludba
09-13-2002, 06:02 AM
I currently have a J. Pechauer with a Le Professional medium tip, 19.5 oz. It retails at about $340. But honestly, if you are just starting out (as in playing 10 to 20 hours a week for a few months), I would suggest the following:

1) Find a billiards store or pool/spa/billiards store and get a fifty dollar two-piece Brunswick or Cue-tec cue and play the heck out of it. It will be head and shoulders above house cues that have been used and abused by every idiot in the tri-state area. It won't be as good as a $700 cue, but if you haven't been playing for a long time, you probably won't appreciate the enormous difference between a high-end cue and a low-end one. But right now all you really need is a good practice stick; something to give you some stroke consistency and some exposure to owning your own cue. My $50 Brunswick lasted several months, and I beat the hell out of it. Incidentally, my cuetip fell off soon after I bought it. I got it retipped for $10. The new tip was better than the original and I'd only spent $60 total on the cue.

2) Get a cheap carrying case. You can probably get one for as little as $20. I got a $45 one that holds 2 cues, because I knew I was going to get a second cue later on.

3) Find a pool hall that has a pick-a-prize pool league. That means a pool league where you play for about 16 weeks and at the end you get a cue stick. Each week you pay a certain amount (for my $340 cue I had to put in $16 per week. So I paid $256 over 4 months for a $340 cue. But there are cheaper cues, possibly as low as $10/week).

4) Use your $50 cue as a break cue. This works out a lot better if you have a two-cue carrying case so that you can tote around both cues.

Unless you are playing in some serious competitions, I wouldn't suggest getting a jump cue. They are certainly easier to jump with, but I practically never jump and even if I did I am still not at the point where I want to spend $100 on a good jump cue.

I'm definitely a nickel player, though I'm going to experiment with dime shape. I got a $15 tip tool and started fudging with my old cue tip (thank god it was the old cue), messed it up right proper, and now my old cue makes a popping sound when I stroke the cue ball. Iritates my teammate.

Anyway, good luck.