PDA

View Full Version : What's the best flooring?

KalboKev
04-21-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm soon to buy a table, vintage Gold Crown III vs New Star Billiards? Still not sure about the "Brunstone Slate" Brunswick used then? "that's a whole different topic" I digress.
What is the preferred footing surface around the table where you play? I want to do it right and that seems sort of important to me?

Bambu
04-21-2011, 03:40 PM
I like carpeting. Soft feel and you never really damage cues or balls.

pooltchr
04-21-2011, 04:07 PM
A friend of mine just got a new Diamond Pro installed. He has a very firm floor that seems to be some kind of hard rubber. Very comfortable to stand on, and protects of damage to flying pool balls and dropped cue sticks.

Steve

Bambu
04-22-2011, 08:00 AM
I wouldnt doubt it if the rubber you saw is just a series of thick gym mats, usually 4 X 8. They use them at a nice room around here called Raxx. Great for spills in a high traffic area, or even a home table with a lot of drinking going on.

pooltchr
04-22-2011, 08:47 AM
I checked with my friend and found out what he got.
It is from ECO Surfaces 877 326 7873
He said it wasn't cheap, but it is great. In fact, a very well known instructor saw it and liked it so much, he is putting it in his house in KY.
Frank said he actually had it cut out, so the table legs actually sit on concrete, but everything else is covered with this surface. It is about 3/4 inch thick, so if you do that, you may need to adjust the table legs to compensate for the height difference.

Good Luck.
Steve

FCrimi
04-22-2011, 01:22 PM
This isn't really related but it's a funny story. When the WPBA played a tournament in Rochester, we somehow wound up playing on a pro hockey rink. They put that rubber flooring over the ice and the tables on top.

We were OK on the pro side because to dress the place up a bit, they laid down Oriental carpets over the rubber. But next to us, on the bar box side, the players were walking directly on the rubber flooring. The cold from the ice seeped through the flooring and black ice started forming on the rubber --- and the players started falling down all over the place.

I was sitting in the stands during a break and watched the first player go down, and then another and another. The rubber flooring kept them from getting hurt but it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen in pool. They were hanging on to the tables to keep from falling. I remember one guy hung on to the table but wound up sliding right under it. I nearly died with laughter. If it weren't for the rugs, that could easiy have been us.

KalboKev
04-23-2011, 06:07 AM
It's funny, the corner pockets are "supposed" to be between 4.5 and 4.625 inches width. Side pockets an additional half inch. It's almost impossible to find a Table mechanic that can/will set it up properly? Rules are rules... right?

Bambu
04-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Great story Fran, thanks!

Sev
04-26-2011, 07:17 PM
Look into cork.