PDA

View Full Version : Playing the tourny director

09-12-2002, 09:12 PM
Am I the only one who hates playing the guy running the tournament. They have to constantly leave the table to update the brackets and also to watch frozen shots etc.. I am not saying it makes me lose but I like to shoot with a certain rhythm if you know what I mean. Am I being picky or do these constant pauses break any of your concentration also.
fatsam

Rod
09-12-2002, 09:39 PM
Sam, I never played in a tournament I run for the same exact reason. If there is not someone there to handle their job I don't think they should play. I've seen it happen many times and it is an inconvience, for lack of a better word to everyone in the field not just the one their playing.

Troy
09-12-2002, 10:01 PM
My previous employer played in tournaments, was the de facto TD, and the Room owner.....

By de facto, I mean he had his nose in my face (I was the TD) about every 5 minutes whether he was playing or not.

Troy...~~~ As I said, previous employer

cuechick
09-13-2002, 06:20 AM
IMO it is unethical. A TD should always be neutral, not even Abe Lincoln could be fair to everyone, if he was also playing...it is simply, wrong.

Tom_In_Cincy
09-13-2002, 06:24 PM
FatSam
I run about 3 or 4 invitation tournamnents a year. 16 player max. limit.. The players are all friends and honest.. I am lucky in that respect.

The last tournament I ran.. had a $35 entry fee.. 9 ball race to 6 in the winners side, race to 4 in the one-loss side.

I have never been bothered while I was playing a match.. and I always play in my tournaments. I just never win them.. .. best I've ever done is 3rd place..

I like the atmosphere of all the good friends playing serious pool. Most are all the same skill level.. its never been easy to pick a winner out of the bunch..

Barbara
09-13-2002, 06:34 PM
Well,

You'd never see that at a NEWT event. If Mic and I had no one from the room to call shots or help write in the names (we find this out ahead of the tourny), then one of us sits out and runs the thing.

I would stay away from tournaments that have the scenario you describe. It's not fair to you or the other players to be so distracted with his business.

Barbara