PDA

View Full Version : Will this guy EVER get it??????????

pooltchr
04-23-2011, 07:24 AM
This seems to be his answer to everything!!

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>President Barack Obama says one answer to high gasoline prices is to spend money</span>

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Obama-pumps-plan-to-develop-apf-1883916447.html?x=0

Steve

Sev
04-23-2011, 11:36 AM
You cant spend you what you dont have. OH wait. Thats unless your the government.
Well them so much now either.

cushioncrawler
04-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Why the great concern with hi gasoline prices????
If mobil charge a hi price then why the great concern????
Why shood any of this hav any bearing on the potusa?????
If there iz a price-fix involved then that would of course be a worry.

And of course nearly every price in the usofa iz fixed -- there aint no free market.
Or praps there iz a free market, but it iz the mob v's crooks v's criminals v's the corrupt v's the mafia v's cartels v's gougers v's wallstreet.
It iz a usofa style free price-fixed market -- u kood kall it a free-fixed market.
mac.

pooltchr
04-23-2011, 04:20 PM
You make a good point, Mac. A few years ago when gas hit $4 a gallon, the media (and the left) put all the blame on Bush/Chaney and friends. But now that a Dem is in office, there is no blame on Obama.

However, as we have learned, they never let a good crisis go to waste. If gas prices are high (which is exactly what Obama said he wanted to see), then it is another excuse to spend more taxpayer money.

Steve

cushioncrawler
04-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Yes, i think the key word iz prices.
The price at the pump probly haz little to do with the cost.
I suppoze that wallstreet (eg futures) kan fix prices in a legal way, without much chance of anyone going to prizon.
And i suppoze that mobil & co kan fix gas prices by renting a condo in wallstreet.
I dunno much about finance, but it wouldnt surprize me.
mac.

pooltchr
04-23-2011, 05:02 PM
And it is just as easy for Washington to manipulate prices on just about everything that is sold in this country.

They do it by controlling the environment in which businesses must operate, and through various taxes they impose on targeted industries.

A few years ago, the tobacco companies were the target. And as the government went to work on them, the price of their product increased to the consumer. Tobacco farmers don't get that much more for their product, and automation has made manufacturing much less expensive. So the biggest force on price increases is the taxes and regulations placed on the tobacco companies.

Now, why is gasoline going up? A small part of it is the price of oil, and the short term fluctuations are influenced by the futures markets. But the environment the oil companies have to operate in are their biggest hurdle. We have different requirements for gasoline in just about every state. That means the refineries need to produce 50 different versions of their product. Regulatory restrictions on refineries are another. This country has not issues a permit for a new gasoline refinery in over 40 years, So we are stuck with a lot of old technology. And we haven't even considered the fact that getting permits to get crude out of the ground is a legal nightmare that takes years.

I'm not against reasonable safety and environmental regulations, but just streamlining the process a company has to go through in order to conduct business would go a long way toward keeping costs down. But our government just loves to create new agencies, with new budgets, and more employees, so their goal doesn't result in streamlining...in fact, it does just the opposite.

Steve

cushioncrawler
04-23-2011, 05:17 PM
I am ok with big gov fixing prices uzing taxes etc to reflekt real costs (or to protekt our future), thats ok.

Not important. When i woz young i woz sent to work on building a big dam -- the water woz for tobacco -- this worryd me. Now there iz zero tobacco grown in that valley, vinyards hav replaced tobacco. I dont smoke, but i luv red wine. Red will probly kill me in the end.
mac.