PDA

View Full Version : Heavenly doubt.

cushioncrawler
04-23-2011, 03:40 PM
How old were u (pipple out there) when u first had doubts about the existance of God. I would say about 10yrs.
How old when u had no doubts about the existance of God, ie when u knew that it woz 100% fakery. I would say about 13yrs.
How old were u when u gave up going along for the ride just to make mum n dad etc happy. I would say about 16yrs for many.
mac.

cushioncrawler
04-23-2011, 03:48 PM
HERE ARE SOME YAHOO ANSWERS
MAC

At 4 I realized it was nonsense. Kept going to church as my parents did and it was a social event, sadly. Had my first sexual experiences at church camps, happily. Left when I was 13 or 14.

Around 6 years old.

A friend of mine who had never been to church asked me why my family went, and what we believed. As I was explaining the beliefs to him, I felt embarrassed by what I was saying. There was a lump in my throat, as if I was forcing myself to speak the words but that I didn't actually believe them. That was the first time I can remember having doubt. I had asked theological questions before that moment, like "Why did God create Satan", but I never had doubt even after receiving the trademarked response: "You'll have to ask God once you're in heaven." Everyone else seemed to accept that answer, so I guess I just went along with it. (Was raised in a Christian Fundamentalist household) Source(s): agnostic

1. I was seven when I first heard about *the* imaginary little space chap. I was surprised grownups could be so silly; I am still amazed. Monsters in the closet, under the bed, dancing about on cloudies awaiting requests? Itís nothing but superstitious nonsense; itís quite pathetic. At 64 I have NOT seen-heard anything to cause me a change my mind.

2. I started my research into invisible sky critters when I was seven after first hearing about them. I was pretty smart when I was seven, I knew there were NO invisible sky critters. BUT I looked anyway... for decades.

I think I was 7 or 8 when I stopped believing in the Christian God. I was being raised in a strict Catholic household. I just couldn't reconcile a loving God with one who would inflict so much pain and hurt on the world, and who would damn people to hell for eternity.

Well, my dad is/was an agnostic atheist, but my mother was somewhat Christian/Catholic. I was raised to believe the Christian god and Jesus were real, but it wasn't a huge thing in my family. We never went to church or called ourselves "Christians". I was about 8 or 9 when I first doubted the existence of a god. I was kind of a smartass about it too. However, I suffer from an anxiety disorder and as a result I spent many sleepless nights irrationally worrying about death and the prospect of non-existence (this was when I was still 9-or-so, and I didn't know what anxiety even was at that point). Anyway, because of my irrational anxiety I basically had to believe in the Christian god just to be able to sleep at night. There was no other way I could put my mind at ease, and as a little kid I didn't give it much thought, all I knew was that the prospect of heaven was pleasant while the prospect of nothing gave me panic attacks. Sooo after a while I forgot I ever stopped believing in God at all. Then, when I was 15 or 16 I was having serious trouble with anxiety again, only this time it wasn't in relation to death. I started praying a lot... literally I would kneel down by my bed and weep, just begging for *anything* at all from God... surprise surprise, I got nothing! After a few months of torment from anxiety and feeling abandoned by God, I came onto this very forum asking people what I was doing wrong, why I wasn't good enough for God's response, why he had condemned me to misery without even acknowledging my prayers. I got a bunch of responses from atheists and, a long story short, I did some research and came to the conclusion that no gods exist, and... yeah. That's it. Perhaps that was more information than you asked for but I'm bored so hey, it was fun typing out my little life story here (:

I donít question God, just religion. I started to question religion when I realise that women wasnít worth much in the original bible...

I was born an atheist. Unfortunately I was exposed to Christianity as a child. Fortunately I fought it off.

I never had any doubt..I was very clear about nature..never believe in god and religion..science..

8.. when i got the answer to how the world works..i started thinking"hey if this had the answer..maybe evrything does" ..
hinduism

27 , i was as Evangelical, pentecostal, apostolic Christian. AKA BS!!!

catholicism.. started doubting in grade school (7?)... fence sat throughout my 20's as an agnostic and finally came to my senses a few years ago (30)...

I stopped believing in God when I read the Bible. Enough said.
Source(s): Atheist

10 is when I started doubting.
Christianity.

11-12 Presbyterian Christian.

cushioncrawler
04-23-2011, 04:07 PM
At no age did I choose to believe a lie, however at age 36 the preponderance of the evidence began to become apparent. By age 45 I had become quite comfortable with the facts. Now at 50 I rejoice at my emancipation, ever grateful for each day of life and the transcendence one experiences upon contemplating the reality of a world without a deity.

I really began to doubt my theistic upbringing when I went through confirmation in Junior High. I'd say my atheistic belief was very solid by the end of college.

I've never made a conscious choice to believe a lie. I've weighed evidence and concluded that there is no god. That was over a 10 year span of time in my early adult life.

About ten when education and intellect showed me the truth!

About 19 initially. But I did waver a bit subsequently. About 32 finally. I've seen nothing in the 20 years since then to make me reconsider.

27... i wasnt a child anymore....and it may be a lie to you... but it is a reality ... you just fail to accept it. i dont base my life or death on it. i simply live. you are the one basing your life on a god that is just like the thousands we have put away into mythology over the last few thousand years.
i understand... youre afraid..and maybe even a bit vain,... i mean, you do after all believe you deserve to live forever...whats more vain than that?

I was pretty much, always atheist. My parents weren't religious. I didn't go to church very often, only when my grandmother forced me. There were times when I would wonder about things, but ultimately I never really believed.

I realized that God was just another fairly tale. I think I was like, twelve or thirteen when I began to question religion. But I don't know what age I officially considered myself an Atheist.

It wasn't a choice, I was just resistant to indoctrination. Aged 8 is when I became aware of the myth.

Fairly young but I did not mark it on the calender, it sort of EVOLVED.

After dispassionately examining the root cause of being a believer at around the age of 13.
Maybe someday you can as well.

it doesnt matter what anyone believes. the fact is that no god is anywhere to be found. you know this is true. faith is believeing what you know is not true

Mid forties. I've noticed that religions don't encourage kids to wait until they're adults to make a decision in favor of religion.

first started having doubts about age 7. And if anything has cemented my belief that there is no God it would be falling in love with a girl when I was 15.

It's only a lie to you, sweetcheeks. And it was more of a conclusion I came to.

It wasn't a "choice" per se, I just REALIZED that there is no god. That probably happened around 15 years old.

It just came to me one day when no one tried to indoctrinate me.

wow alot of the ages are around the same.

The real lie is that God exists.
Once I quit believing in fairy tales, well, there went another one called God.

I was seven when I found the logical truth.

There is no God.

cushioncrawler
04-23-2011, 04:13 PM
THEZE 2 POSTINGS CAUGHT MY EYE.
IT MAKES SENSE THAT ONCE U STOP BELEEVING IN ONE FAIRY TALE, EG FATHER XMAS, U WOULD NATURALLY STOP BELEEVING ALL FAIRY TALES AT THE SAME TIME.
MAC

The real lie is that God exists.
Once I quit believing in fairy tales, well, there went another one called God.

I realized that God was just another fairly tale. I think I was like, twelve or thirteen when I began to question religion. But I don't know what age I officially considered myself an Atheist.

cushioncrawler
04-23-2011, 04:24 PM
AT WHAT AGE DO CHILDREN STOP BELIEVING IN SANTA????
One of the answers woz az follows.

"....They will let you know. But keep up the pretense awhile longer. It's a nice fantasy. Gifts from Santa under the tree are welcome at nearly any age, I think. Even if it has become a bit of a joke...."

I THINK THAT PRAPS BELEEVING IN GOD IZ JUST A PRETENSE TOO, A NICE FANTASY TO SOME.
MAC.

Sev
04-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Bad news from the doctor aye?

cushioncrawler
04-23-2011, 09:06 PM
3% of doctors beleev in Santa.
mac.