PDA

View Full Version : Live TV Coverage Needed

09-13-2002, 12:57 AM
I was glad to see that this years US Open is going to be televised live on pay-per-view for customers with a satellite dish. Its about time that someone figured out theres a following that greatly enjoys watching billiards. Now if we can just get all of the tournaments some type of live coverage or even same day coverage(opposed to a month or months later)we might actually help promote the sport a little more seriously. At this point in time when baseball players complain about $50 million contracts and football and basketball players are arrested nearly every other day I feel the public wouldn't mind a gentlemens sport that takes skill, intelligence, and carisma. But as we all know, just as in the world of pool, money makes the world go round. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Beav aka Ohio Fats /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
09-13-2002, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: beav99:</font><hr> I was glad to see that this years US Open is going to be televised live on pay-per-view for customers with a satellite dish. Its about time that someone figured out theres a following that greatly enjoys watching billiards. Now if we can just get all of the tournaments some type of live coverage or even same day coverage(opposed to a month or months later)we might actually help promote the sport a little more seriously. At this point in time when baseball players complain about $50 million contracts and football and basketball players are arrested nearly every other day I feel the public wouldn't mind a gentlemens sport that takes skill, intelligence, and carisma. But as we all know, just as in the world of pool, money makes the world go round. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Beav aka Ohio Fats /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

I've said for a long time that if pool was on tv at the same time every week the audience would probably quadruple. As it stands now you can't find it unless you're a junkie like us /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

You are in Ohio?

Ludba
09-13-2002, 07:16 AM
I was very happy to hear about the US Open as a pay-per-view event too. There is also a plan in the works for a billiards channel, though I believe it will be long in coming.

And I believe it will take a great deal before pool will be viewed as a legitimate sport. And when I say it will take a great deal, I mean it will take a lot from the pool community itself: from the pool players at the local level right up to the organizations that administrate this game.

For example, pool has had and continues to have a shady image. Many people think of pool in association with gambling, drinking, and smoking. This is not a condemnation of any of those activities, but in reaching a wider demographic, it is plain to see that the current pool setting does not appeal to the family values crowd or to people who don't smoke or drink. Compare that to a football game, where adults, children, smokers, nonsmokers, gamblers and non-gamblers can appreciate the game without being in an uncomfortable or stifling setting. So to the majority of the audience, a woman's nine-ball championship seems a little weird without the players drinking beer and betting on the outcome while the smoke wafts between them. Nevermind the fact that most of them won't appreciate the nuances of the game, and that they'll think it's boring to watch. The average viewer (the one we want to reach in order to get pool more exposure and coverage) is probably wondering,"If they're not playing for fun or playing for a whole lot of money, what's the point?"

In effect, ESPN2 has taken the pool out of the bar, but it can't take the bar image out of pool.

Don't get me wrong. I love drinking as much as the next guy, but pool deserves more acclaim than it gets, and I think this is one of the problems.