PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Mistakes

Rod
09-13-2002, 03:15 AM
All of us have made them. What I want to know is, what would you consider is the worst move you have ever made? It can be anything from missed shots, poor position, miscue etc.
Tell us the circumstance and what you did. Believe me your worst may be minor in the grand scheme of pool. By that I mean your level of play and what you did. So tell me your story, I like stories. We all need a good laugh and if we can't laugh at ourselves who can we laugh at? You can use the wei if necessary to diagram the shot.

I'll tell you mine tomorrow, I need a little more time to remember how stupid I was./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Fred Agnir
09-13-2002, 06:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> All of us have made them. What I want to know is, what would you consider is the worst move you have ever made? <hr></blockquote>
I can think of two that I can remember.

During league play, I cut the 8-ball in the corner, but the cueball went across the table towards middle of the side pocket. I was frustrated that I was going to scratch, so I put my hand down to catch the cueball. However, when I caught the cueball, it was a full diamond away from the side pocket. I mean, it wasn't even near the pocket, as if I was in some time warp trance.

The other time is something that I now think is fairly common. Another league match, and I must have either been cocentrating too hard or drinking too much. Or both. Meaning to chalk my stick, I picked up the cueball instead. Again, another trance thing as I was completely lost what to do next.

Fred

Ludba
09-13-2002, 06:41 AM
Several months ago I was playing eight-ball against a player who was much better than me, but I was in the zone. I had a beautiful seven ball run, and knew I had the eight in the corner, but I was worried about scratching the other corner, so I gave it draw to hit the long rail. The eight ball sank. My draw sent the cue ball into the nipple of the corner pocket then it bounced against the other nipple, then fell right in. My opponent had six balls left on the table.

Another time I had won three consecutive games, each one a bigger win than the previous one. My fourth and final game in league play, I ran out six balls, hit the seventh to get position on the eight, inadvertantly hit the eight, which rolled slowly but surely into the side pocket. My opponent had five balls left on the table.

stickman
09-13-2002, 07:44 AM
I've made so many dumb mistakes, it's hard to recall any specific ones. I've missed gimme shots, concentrating on leave, made the eight ball out of turn by not concentrating on where the cueball was going, after the shot, picked the cueball up on a foul, in a nine ball ring game, all the usual dumb mistakes. The only one that comes to mind as a recent DM was pushing out in my APA nine ball league. /ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif At least that one didn't cost me a match, just a ball in hand foul, and a small amount of embarrassment. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

09-13-2002, 07:50 AM

Rich R.
09-13-2002, 08:00 AM
My worst dumb mistake, of many on the record.
In my first year of playing in an APA 8-ball league, my team made it into the playoffs. In the second or third round of the playoffs, I was playing a higher rated player.
In one game, after running 6 of his balls, my opponent missed. I ran 6 of my balls, leaving only my last ball, my opponents ball and the 8 ball on the table. I studied the table carefuly, got down and took careful aim and shot my opponents ball into the pocket. This left him with ball in hand on the 8.
Rich R.~~~not my last mistake, but hopefully my worst.

09-13-2002, 08:07 AM
Rod,

You'll like this. Let me set the tone... I'm all geared up for my first big match at my first big tournament (Derby City Classic). I'm playing a recognized pro. I'm nervous. I break, the one ball goes down, and I calmly shoot in the 3 ball. My opponent calmly explains to me that the 2 ball was the next in order. : (

Needless to say, I was profoundly embarrased for the duration of the match. I never fully regained my concentration after giving up ball in hand in that way.

Regards,

Doug

09-13-2002, 08:10 AM

Fred Agnir
09-13-2002, 08:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> All of us have made them. <hr></blockquote>
Here's one that my friend (I swear it wasn't me) did when he was fairly new to the game. Two players on the adjacent table were playing some 14.1. At one point, the balls were still bunched up, one player had just missed and sat down, and the other player was in the bathroom. My friend, who new nothing of straight pool thought that their game was over and that the one player pushed the balls to the rack area for the other player to rack. So, he inexplicably walked over to the table and just started firing in the balls!! Whack! Whack! Whack!

Fred

Wally_in_Cincy
09-13-2002, 08:38 AM
Dumbest thing. Where do I begin?

Once I was playing Tom_in_Cincy a 14.1 match and I was up by 10 balls early in the match and I actually thought I might have a chance to beat him. That was dumb /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

The lowest point ever in my pool life was last May in the APA regional tourney. We were down 2-1 in the Vegas match. We needed to win the last 2 to go to Vegas. So it was up to me and the captain. I played next. I was on the hill and was left a virtual roadmap to get out. I hit the 6-ball at pocket speed. Only it didn't quite make it /ccboard/images/icons/crazy.gif. It hung right at the lip. I coulda freakin' died. I lost. I got drunk. I don't wanna talk about it anymore so quit asking me about it /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

cheesemouse
09-13-2002, 08:46 AM
Years ago I was playing in a local team tournament. They had this rule where you had to move a patch inside the first diamond of the hole where you were calling your 8-ball. Our team was drunk and playing a team of four women and one guy in a wheel chair. My first game I ran my set of balls and fired the eight straight in and my lady opponent promptly said "you lose, you did'nt move the patch". There insued lots of hooting and howlering, mostly in good fun. My next game I again ran my set of balls and got down on the eight...but I remembered I hadn't moved the patch, so, I got up from the shot and unzipped my pants, pulled out my ahhhhhhh... member, stuck it on the patch and slid it down the rail to mark the pocket. Oh, the evils of alcohol. The embarassing parts is the patch stuck to my member and did a double flip in the air landing on the floor...
They still give out a 'Biggest Dick' award patch, in my honor, at the end of the year in this local league.

9 Ball Girl
09-13-2002, 08:52 AM

Kato
09-13-2002, 09:17 AM
I'm sure I've made worse but this is the freshest in my mind. I was playing in a 9-ball tournament a couple of weeks back. It was hill/hill and he missed the 6 but snugged it up to the 9. I probably stared at the shot for 3 minutes, made 5 seperate decisions, decided none of those were very good and went with my original plan which was a sellout-off angle cross bank into the corner pocket. I had to drag draw the cue ball to get position and I was out. Well, I jawed the 6 ball and my opponent ran out. Loss of game and out of the tourny. I should have played safe and I know there was at least one on the table. I was playing real good and seeing everything so my ego got in the way.

The second dumbest mistake I ever made was that I woke up this morning.LOL

Kato

Paul_Mon
09-13-2002, 09:26 AM
Rod,
The worst mistake I've made and probably will make again is shooting balls into my opponents pocket in 1 pocket. It is fairly common and very dumb.

Paul Mon

P.S. One time I had ball in hand on the 1 ball and instead of placing the cue ball I relocated the 1 ball. HUH???

bluewolf
09-13-2002, 09:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> All of us have made them. What I want to know is, what would you consider is the worst move you have ever made? It can be anything from missed shots, poor position, miscue etc.
Tell us the circumstance and what you did. Believe me your worst may be minor in the grand scheme of pool. By that I mean your level of play and what you did. So tell me your story, I like stories. We all need a good laugh and if we can't laugh at ourselves who can we laugh at? You can use the wei if necessary to diagram the shot.

I'll tell you mine tomorrow, I need a little more time to remember how stupid I was./ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

as an apa 2

2 dumb ones
1 undercutting ob on mod to difficult cut shot
2 miscalculation of defensive strategy...ie look at all my shots and trying to calculate which will give the worst leave and doing a booboo giving them a straight in side pocket shot.

bw

09-13-2002, 09:39 AM
They are to numerous to mention...I could write a book about them...The one that sticks out the most though is the night I played Johnny Archer (1993) in a Nine-ball tournament in Columbia, SC and it was a race to (11)...This was the first time I had ever played against a top rated pro played...The score was (3-1) in Johnny's favor when he broke...and scratched...With ball in hand I shot him a leave on the 1-ball...Which he missed...I shot him another leave...He missed this one also...I then told him he was on foul number 2...I shot him a third leave and (you guessed it) he hit it and made the ball and ran out...The finale score was (11-2) in his favor...

A friend of mine told me about my mistake after the match...From then on... I always remember to count the Scatch the Break as (Foul No.1)...

That's 9-ball for you...

Uncle Ron (RGC) in SC

09-13-2002, 11:01 AM
Here's a couple.

1. I scratched on a push out TWICE in the same set.

2. Had ball in hand trying to line up a 1,9 combo. It was a little off angle. I suddenly got confused and picked up the one ball and moved it in perfect line for the combo. My opponent called the foul (of course) and proceeded to drill the now dead combination...

3. I was once trying to reach a shot, my feet slipped out from under me, I fell onto the table, moving about 4 balls, rolled off the table and onto the floor, my cue fell on top of me and poked me in the eye.

4. In a bar, I broke the balls, popped the cueball off the table. It went about 4 feet in the air, and landed directly in someones pint of beer, shattering the glass it all over them.

5. I was out of a tournament.. .pissed off... and looking for a table to bang some balls around on. I found one, the 6,7,8, and 9 were on the table, I started banging them around, then the two people that were playing for the hotseat came back from the bathroom. It was their table, and it was hill/hill.

6. I was playing for money against someone I didn't know. I was chewing gum while I was playing. I missed the nine ball and yelled some explative. the gum flew out of my mouth and landed directly on the 9-ball. Is that a foul?

09-13-2002, 11:05 AM
When I was younger I used to sub- contract for a roofing company and I had just hired on an old friend of mine, Shawn. Well we ended up one night going to our favorite lil pool hall and started shooting for afew bucks... i got up on him early playing for 10 bucks a set ran him to 50 bucks, then we went back and forth for a while neither really getting any advantage but the hours were ticking away.. we decided that there was no point in going home as we were going to be starting work in a couple hours and we might as well stay and play...... with about 2 hours to go shawn asks me if we can play double up, I do and i get up to 200 bucks on him..... in the last set of the night (time for work) I run the balls down... have this beauty 8-ball straight in the corner and I slam it in for the win (400 bucks right?) WRONG! Shawn calls FOUL!..... Im like WTF???!!! I didnt touch or do anything i say to him... he says yeah I know.... but you still have another ball on the table! DOH!!!!!!!!! overtired I guess :OP...ended up having to split time with him too!

09-13-2002, 11:16 AM
A buddy and I were shooting at the table adjacent to our regular table because there were people playing on it when we got there. We were in the middle of a game when another buddy came over to talk to me. During the conversation I heard "It's your shot Chris". I looked at the layout of the table and thought "I'm out". I got up and made an easy shot in the corner pocket.....on the wrong table! The two guys that were playing there looked at me with that "What the hell do you think you are doing?" look. All I could do was shrug my shoulders and say, "Your's looked better than ours", then I bought them each a beer.

Rod
09-13-2002, 12:22 PM
My most recent hair brain move entitled, Bringing Back The Dead. The game is 9 ball even race to 7. My opponent is not quite a match for me, famous last words. I had run down to the last three on the table with the 7 near straight in and the 8 and 9 in front of adjacent corner pocket. I bent over and addressed the cue ball and noticed I lined up with the shot straight on, straight in to the side rail just before the pocket. In a flash I'm thinking I'll just change my stroke direction and make it anyway! huh? I know as well as anyone a brain in motion while shooting is a dangerous thing. Regardless I let it fly and shot it into the side rail just as it was aimed! Well this guy senses he might have a chance needing 3 games. Make that two I just give him one. Snap a 9 ball on the break. Snap a partial run then a safety tighter than a nats butt stretched over a rain barrel. No way for me to lock up a ball and hitting it would have been the next miracle. Well you know the outcome, did I mention I was on the hill?

Rod
09-13-2002, 01:44 PM
Doug,
Sometimes we just feel like crawling in a hole, problem is there is nowhere to hide.

Rod
09-13-2002, 01:49 PM
Quote Jason, I was playing for money against someone I didn't know. I was chewing gum while I was playing. I missed the nine ball and yelled some explative. the gum flew out of my mouth and landed directly on the 9-ball. Is that a foul?

Jason, it might not be a foul but it is a sticky situation!

09-13-2002, 02:04 PM
JasonG,

That's about the funniest post I've ever read. Especially the foot slip. It's happened to me, but with less disasterous/hilarious results. I'm still Laughing...

I do recall one that happened to me that is similar to your beer glass story. I was playing on this bar box in a fairly crowded bar one evening. It was my break, and I decided to wack them with every once of energy that I had. Needless to say, my cueball control was wanting, as I watched whitey glance off the head ball and shoot off at warp speed toward the bar, shattering a full glass of beer. All of this happened so fast that nobody, including my opponent, knew what exactly happened. I suggested that it was probably a good time to go, and slunk out.

09-13-2002, 02:05 PM
Hi there.
I was playing one of the best players in my town whom I rarely won against.
One day, playing 8-ball I broke and ran on him. I get down to a straight-in shot on the eight. When I say straight in I mean a toddler could make it with his eyes closed. Well, in all my excitement I rattled it. DOH! /ccboard/images/icons/blush.gif

SpiderMan
09-13-2002, 02:50 PM
I was playing in a tournament once, chewing gum. I got down on a shot, then felt a sneeze coming. I raised up about a foot, sneezed, and the gum flew into the open mouth of a spectator behind the rail.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> Quote Jason, I was playing for money against someone I didn't know. I was chewing gum while I was playing. I missed the nine ball and yelled some explative. the gum flew out of my mouth and landed directly on the 9-ball. Is that a foul?

Jason, it might not be a foul but it is a sticky situation! <hr></blockquote>

SpiderMan
09-13-2002, 02:54 PM
You're right, I think it's common. I've seen several people chalk with the cueball.

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fred Agnir:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Rod:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; All of us have made them. What I want to know is, what would you consider is the worst move you have ever made? &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;
The other time is something that I now think is fairly common. Another league match, and I must have either been cocentrating too hard or drinking too much. Or both. Meaning to chalk my stick, I picked up the cueball instead. Again, another trance thing as I was completely lost what to do next.

Fred <hr></blockquote>

phil in sofla
09-13-2002, 03:01 PM
Three or four parter.

1) Popped some X
2) Decided to shoot pool
3) Matched up with a local hotshot who is the former snooker champion of Chile for a 9-ball race to 5 games at double the stake I'm comfortable with, without getting or even asking for weight.
4) Ignored my friends who were questioning my playing this guy at all
5) Lost the first set badly and went for another without asking for weight.

Having learned my lesson, I will never repeat 3-5 again!

09-13-2002, 03:27 PM
Gave Keith McCready the 7. What can I say? Nobody told me who he was..... until later. Fade That!

Amanda
09-13-2002, 03:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TheShot:</font><hr> Gave Keith McCready the 7. What can I say? Nobody told me who he was..... until later. Fade That! <hr></blockquote>
You obviously never watched the color of money did you?
LOL
That is a good one, speaking of which I watched him get knocked out of the semi finals in the Planet Pool tour here last weekend. In midst of talking [censored] in the hill hill game, he choked on a shot.

09-13-2002, 04:43 PM
HI Amanda,
He didn't look the same, I have seen COM a time or too. Everyone else in the PH (The only 24hr/7 in the KC area) knew who he was and none of them clued me in. They all got a kick out of it. And so did I (my a$$ that is /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif )

Amanda
09-13-2002, 04:53 PM
I must admit that when I saw him this past weekend, he looked familiar but couldn't put the name to him till I saw him shoot, that stroke of his is what clued me in. And yes he has changed a bit over the years.

Rod
09-13-2002, 05:35 PM
Quote Spiderman, I was playing in a tournament once, chewing gum. I got down on a shot, then felt a sneeze coming. I raised up about a foot, sneezed, and the gum flew into the open mouth of a spectator behind the rail.

SpiderMan "

Wow that's a powerful sneeze you had there. Did you ask for it back, or did he start chewing?

Barbara
09-13-2002, 05:43 PM
Oh Jason...

I would've PAID to see you do #3!! PAID!!

Sorry Big Fella, just LMAO!!

BTW, I would not have called a foul on #6.

Barbara~~~can picture it now...

Fred Agnir
09-14-2002, 06:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: SpiderMan:</font><hr> You're right, I think it's common. I've seen several people chalk with the cueball.<hr></blockquote>
That's *exactly* what I was doing. I'd picked up the cueball and was all set to bring it to my tip when I realized what I was doing. Sad to say, I almost did this recently which is why the previous time was fresh in my mind.

Fred

Rod
09-14-2002, 01:51 PM
Quote Fred,

Fred,
I'm not sure what is in "your" drinks but it is funny and one I've never seen to my knowledge. The asnwer is simple, just simle and say oh here you have ball in hand!

Barbara
09-14-2002, 03:20 PM
Well, this is definitely not pool related, but it does fall under one of the most stupid things I've ever done in my life.

Popped the T-tops off the T/A this morning and ran my errands. Came home, unloaded the car and left them off. The hubby and I go out for a sail, it's slightly cloudy, no rain forecasted until tomorrow. Well, guess what? Pete and I turn around after an hour out on the river because of the looks of one hellacious front coming through. We got hammered with lightning and the second most dumb thing I did was put the sail cover over the main while hanging on to a 33' lightning rod!

The #1 dumbest thing was leaving the T-tops off my baby in the first place.

Okay, I've Shop-Vac's the Beast as much as I can, ran a small fan out to him and have him covered with tarp and the windows slightly down to take out more moisture. Will recondition the leather again on Monday. Anything more I should do and look out for? Please PM me so that I don't compromise this thread which is hilarious. Thanks Rod!

Barbara~~~should've listened to the little voices that told her to button up her baby....

09-15-2002, 10:59 AM
The DUMBEST mistake was marrying that yapping wife Blewwolf!

TomBrooklyn
09-15-2002, 11:29 AM
Quote: bluewolf:as an apa 2, 2 dumb ones
1 undercutting ob on mod to difficult cut shot
2 miscalculation of defensive strategy... giving them a straight in side pocket shot.<hr></blockquote>Hello, Earth to bluewolf, Earth to bluewolf, come in...

bluewolf, what you described are not dumb mistakes. They are simple miscalculations. In reading the other posts in this thread, can you see the common theme that is missing from your tale?

As an APA-2, you may want to pay close attention to what the more experienced players around you are doing and saying to pick up on these kind of things. You may also want to to avoid wearying the more advanced players by not elaborating on every minutia of your novice game.

While I've found most of the advanced players on this board to be exceedingly helpful to lesser players, I would not assume it's appropriate to abandon the courtesies and deference that are normal in a relationship between a novice and journeyman or master. =TB=

Nostroke
09-16-2002, 10:40 AM
Thought i already posted this but here goes.

i dont remember the circumstances but during a match around mid rack, i approached the table lined up the shot using the nine ball as the cue ball and stroked the 9ball into the object ball and missed on top of it. I was so happy to see someone else do this in an Open Tournament about a year later.

Another time i was playing in a low dollar game -race to 6- I won 6-0 but my prick opponent now said it was a race to 7 and wouldnt pay. I said ok you jerk, ill beat you to 7 then. Im sure you have all guessed the final score by now- 7-6 Him!

CarolNYC
09-16-2002, 03:07 PM
Hi Rod,
At the qualifier for Valley Forge,with the audience watching, I was looking to make a jumpshot ,trying to be cool and didnt realize as I was looking at the shot,I was CHALKING THE WRONG END OF MY JUMPCUE!ha ha ha ha-Real smooth!ha ha ha
Have a nice day!
Carol~knows Barb can back this one up!

CarolNYC
09-16-2002, 03:38 PM
Jason,
This is the funniest thing Ive heard-I am LMAO-did your opponent know the gum was on the 9-ball and if not, did he shoot at it and the cueball and 9-ball stick together?ha ha ha ha
Carol

CarolNYC
09-16-2002, 03:42 PM
Spiderman,
Now this one takes the cake!ha ha ha-I hope the spectator had the decency to say "God Bless You!"
Carol~thought of you everytime I seen the movie billboard!:)

Rod
09-16-2002, 03:49 PM
Carol, ha ha ha
And here I thought C.C. went over those jump shots with you. Well don't feel bad Fred tried to chalk with the cue ball!

CarolNYC
09-17-2002, 07:14 AM
Good morning Rod,
CC did go over the jumps with me-I may have been chalking the wrong end of the Bungee, but I pocketed the ball and took a bow to the applause!ha ha ha ha!(and laughter)
Yes, Freds chalking with the cueball was very funny!
Stay well!
Carol

Rich R.
09-17-2002, 07:53 AM
I won't mention any names here, but I know some one here who, on occasion, has been know to miss with ball-in-hand on the 8-ball. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif
Rich R.~~~come to think of it, I have done that myself. /ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif