PDA

View Full Version : Measel CB Is Taller By 0.050"

Sid_Vicious
04-28-2011, 11:06 AM
I inherited the gizmo Jeanette Lee sponsors, the Spider, and found something interesting when rolling my different CBs under the Spider. The measel CB is different height than my other regular CBs. It was the only CB I have that triggers the light, but that's another topic. I have several CBs, a red dot, a regular CB from a set, another practice ball and two more I'm not sure of, but all those are the same height. Out of all of them the Measel Ball in taller by 0.050".

Anyone else noticed this dimensional difference? sid

Never mind. I did measure the other practice ball and it was like the measel ball, right at 2.250". The rest of the CBs must have worn down, and the numbered balls from the set were also smaller. Seems peculiar though that the striped balls(which I never use here at home, but are a used set) are all generally about the same, 2.205-2.210". I would have thought the 9ball I use the most would be even smaller. It's like there is a softer layer of about 0.040" that sheds, and then it stays pretty much that new dimension. I just found this strange.

Rich R.
04-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Sid, I haven't measured any exactly but I do know that not all measle balls are the same size.

At a tournament a couple of years ago, the TD had 3 measle balls for the final rounds. Two of them came from complete sets of balls and the third was purchased in one of those single ball blister packs. IIRC, the one from the blister pack was a slightly different color of white and it was slightly different in size. I can't remember if it was a hair bigger or a hair smaller but it was different. We lined up the three balls and put a straight edge across the top and you could see the difference.

Sid_Vicious
04-28-2011, 01:47 PM
My various CBs were measured with a pair of dial calipers. It seem that what I've really found though is that the standard CBs along with the bacic set of playing balls, have reduced from 2.25". The general pool balls sold are 2.25" by norms. I am just surprised that all of the other balls I've measured, except for the two practice balls, have reduced by nearly the same amount, and they aren't only from one set of used pool balls...my red dot for instance was a seperate purchase.

So, the title of the thread should probably, "All My CBs Shrunk But For Measle." They didn't shrink, at least I doubt they did. sid

cushioncrawler
04-28-2011, 05:06 PM
Sid -- Size duznt matter. The main thing iz wt.
I find that old english crystalate and bonzoline billiard balls which were 150gm to 152gm when new hav worn down to 146gm, especially the red ball (which gets most of the action).

Newish krappamith snooker sets are notorious, the balls are say 140gm new and later 139gm but the white (Qball) might hav worn down to 145gm. Lots of snooker players carry their own full-wt white.

It would be interesting to know whether the vitreous coating on a krappamith duz wear more quickly than a ??????
mac.

Krappamiths -- not so much a bakelite ball with a vitreous coating, but a vitreous ball with a bakelite center.

wolfdancer
04-28-2011, 05:40 PM
Mac, when working at the pool room...out of curiosity we did weigh and measure the measles ball Vs the standard red dot.We had a gram scale to measure with.(also very useful to ensure you didn't get cheated on your devil weed buys)
As I remember the measles weighed a few grams more and was slightly larger, slightly. I'm pretty sure about the weight, not so sure about the size. As I also remember?....the red dot (or circle?) weighed slightly less then the other balls, which allowed almost everybody to now have a draw shot.
For our big tournaments at the time....the better players insisted on using the blue dot (or circle).
I think a member here at the time , Fred Aguire, a plastics engineer,explained the weight difference by the different phenolic rosins compositions that the different cue balls had. But ......my memory is now very suspect.

cushioncrawler
04-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Yeah. Bakelite (phenolic resin), polyester, melamine (the best plastik for a billiard ball), and the old celluloid (or whatever it woz called).
But of course u karnt beat elephant tusk (ivory). Its a pity that elephants dont shed their tusks each year.
mac.

Sid_Vicious
04-28-2011, 08:23 PM
I wonder though. Is the varying weight created by different density and materials, or could the measley ball have been over-sized compared to the ball sets? Bottom line, and which brought this topic to fruition, is that the red circle and set-CB is too low to trigger the light and lazer switch in the Spider aiming tool that J. Lee sponsors. The measley ball won't either, but just by the proverbial c-hair. I agree that the 0.050" difference on diameter means little, but a purist would probably disagree. sid

cushioncrawler
04-29-2011, 01:40 AM
I feel sure that colors make a diff to wt. I used to think that yellow woz heavyst, but now i aint so sure.

In the oldendays they added filler to save money, and filler like clay made the balls heavyr.
Nowadays they reckon they dont add filler, and that the balls are stronger. Mightbe so, but the balls are softer too, too soft (Dr Onoda wrote on this), and together with that vitreous coating there are lots mor kix (madmac wrote on this), hencely modern balls are krappamith.
mac.