PDA

View Full Version : Some video of the Tuscaloosa tornadoes...

sack316
04-28-2011, 12:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7T7GYl0xvg

Pics are all over the place of the aftermath too, pretty crazy stuff.

Sack

Sev
04-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Scary stuff.
Though I would like to chase them once.

LWW
04-28-2011, 01:22 PM
Once I was elephant hunting in Africa, but I couldn't remove the tusks because they were so tight ... so next time I went elephant hunting I went to Alabama where the Tuscaloosa.

eg8r
04-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Wow, that is all I can say. I am very happy you and your family are OK.

eg8r

cushioncrawler
04-28-2011, 05:33 PM
They say the width kan be 1.6km, but u will never see any damage photos showing anything wider than 2 or 3 small suburban blocks, ie say 500m.
If anyone kan show wider i would be very interested.
Damage from hi wind kan be 4km wide, but hi winds aint the deadly core winds.

I hav followed a few small damage trails myself, and small twisters in ozz hav praps 50m width, or say 150m track overall width if a twin twister.
And i followed a single F1 trail (2 killed in car) that woz less than 200m wide.

If cloud base iz 3000', then (to my eyes) top of funnel iz 3000' wide, and iz 1000' wide on the ground. If cloud base iz 6000' then 2000' wide at ground.
When i say funnel i mean the overall funnel holding 3 or more twisters inside.

And the (dopler radar) speeds quoted are not ground speeds, they are mostly over 100m above ground, and probly inklood vertical speed allso(not important but just so u know).
mac.

Gayle in MD
04-29-2011, 09:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7T7GYl0xvg

Sack </div></div>

I kept thinking about you, and your family, as I watched the clips of all the horrible weather in your area.I have a number of friends in your state, and have yet to hear from a few, but most of them live near Dolphin Island, and along the coast.
I haven't heard of damages in that area???

Glad you are fine.

Love,
G.

sack316
04-29-2011, 03:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7T7GYl0xvg

Sack </div></div>

I kept thinking about you, and your family, as I watched the clips of all the horrible weather in your area.I have a number of friends in your state, and have yet to hear from a few, but most of them live near Dolphin Island, and along the coast.

Glad you are fine.

Love,
G.

</div></div>

Thanks G, and yeah the coast is fine... they are just busy getting ready for Mullet Toss this weekend down there! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Most everything was central to north, with Tuscaloosa, Cullman, and Birmingham getting the worst. I don't know what the final numbers will be as far as fatalities, but I know somewhere in the range of 300 people are still missing or unaccounted for on top of the already confirmed deaths. And workers are going 24/7 to restore power to key areas with hospitals and nursing homes.

Sack

Gayle in MD
04-29-2011, 03:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7T7GYl0xvg

Sack </div></div>

Glad you are fine.

Love,
G.

</div></div>

Thanks G, and yeah the coast is fine... they are just busy getting ready for Mullet Toss this weekend down there! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Most everything was central to north, with Tuscaloosa, Cullman, and Birmingham getting the worst. I don't know what the final numbers will be as far as fatalities, but I know somewhere in the range of 300 people are still missing or unaccounted for on top of the already confirmed deaths. And workers are going 24/7 to restore power to key areas with hospitals and nursing homes.

Sack </div></div>

Such a horrible tragedy. You have to cry, seeing those poor people coming back to nothing, everything gone, annd the loss of lives, just heartbreaking.

I will e-mail you later, I can't remem ber what part of the state you are living in, but I hope you were not affected in any way.

Take care...and keep watch, I guess... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

sack316
04-29-2011, 03:42 PM
I live in Autauga Country... Elmore Country, which is just beside me and north of Montgomery Country got some damage. Nothing as significant as other areas, but still some.

Tuscaloosa was the big brunt of devastation, which is about 90 miles northwest of me. I'm not trying to make a comparison by this comment, but it's as close to a Katrina situation there as I had ever hoped to see again in my lifetime /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I'll probably be up there myself sometime next week. I had hoped to go this weekend but they are encouraging individuals to stay away for now as group and organizational efforts do their thing.

Sack

sack316
04-29-2011, 03:56 PM
HERE is a map showing areas with damage (http://helpalabama.com/) , for anyone who wanted to see and/or help.

G, since you asked, just north-west of Montgomery you'll see Prattville... that's where I live /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

Sev
04-29-2011, 04:30 PM
I always suspected you were a prat. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

cushioncrawler
04-30-2011, 05:26 PM
Do many homes hav concrete safe-rooms???
Or safe-cellars???
What iz the advice if u dont hav safe shelter -- to drive away (if daytime)???, or run away????
mac.

wolfdancer
04-30-2011, 09:35 PM
Remove all clothing, bend over as far as you can....and kiss your butt..Goodbye!!

cushioncrawler
04-30-2011, 10:44 PM
For bush-fires u needtahav an outside safe-pit.
If tornados are only 500m wide u kan drive away (in daylite) or run away (if no serious hail), but u would havta hide from flying debris anyhow.
mac.

sack316
05-01-2011, 07:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do many homes hav concrete safe-rooms???
Or safe-cellars???
What iz the advice if u dont hav safe shelter -- to drive away (if daytime)???, or run away????
mac. </div></div>

Can't speak for some other states, but basements, cellars, or concrete shelters aren't common here in Alabama. We just get to a hallway, closet, bathroom, or wherever is away from windows and doors (I have a friend who had relatives whose home was completely destroyed... except for the very hallway they were in... close call!).

If not in a safe structure you're supposed to high-tail it into a ditch.

Sack

Sev
05-01-2011, 02:52 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cushioncrawler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do many homes hav concrete safe-rooms???
Or safe-cellars???
mac. </div></div>

Unlike the NE US, house in the south are less likely to have a basement.

Myself eventhough we are sheltered we are planning on excavating the side of the hill and putting in a couple rooms underground. Basically a glorified root cellar with power and a generator.

If a tornado came through our valley we would have to make a dash for a deep stream bed.

sack316
05-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Quote from the FEMA people today here:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ALABAMA HAS DONE MORE IN ONE WEEK THAN KATRINA RELIEF DID IN SIX MONTHS </div></div>

Can't say it enough, I'm DAMN proud of my state. War Eagle and Roll Tide!

Sack