PDA

View Full Version : Steve, take care of my boy!

sack316
04-28-2011, 06:23 PM
Not that it was a big surprise, but Carolina took Cam Newton as the #1 pick in the draft. Y'all got an incredible physical talent, I just hope they take some time to work with him and develop him into a pro QB. For some reason some "experts" were questioning his desire and work ethic, but I've seen him for the last year and can tell you that is of NO concern.

Enjoy the Cammy Cam Juice my friend!

Sack

pooltchr
04-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Cam was my second choice personally. I would have hoped they would have taken a closer look at Locker...not anywhere near as high a profile quarterback, but there is just something about that guy that I think will make him a very good NFL quarterback.

Newton has no doubt got some talent. He can read the field, and has a great arm. Time will tell if accuracy becomes an issue for him. NFL defenders are going to be much quicker than what he faced in college.

We did good when we took Peppers in a first round pick. I hope this one works out as well.

New season, new coach, new quarterback...we can only improve over last year!

BTW, I think they set a record for the least amount of time between being on the clock and announcing their pick!

Steve

sack316
04-29-2011, 07:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cam was my second choice personally. I would have hoped they would have taken a closer look at Locker...not anywhere near as high a profile quarterback, but there is just something about that guy that I think will make him a very good NFL quarterback.</div></div>

Actually he WAS a high profile QB... last season. But chose to return to college for one more year. I was glad to see him still end up a top 10 pick because I hate to see kids lose draft positioning for returning for their senior years! My only knock on him is that he has had quite a few injuries, but that's just because he plays the game hard. NFL coaches won't let him take the hits he did in college when he'd scramble.

I think his name just got lost in the shuffle this year with all the hype around Cam, Luck, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Newton has no doubt got some talent. He can read the field, and has a great arm. Time will tell if accuracy becomes an issue for him. NFL defenders are going to be much quicker than what he faced in college.

We did good when we took Peppers in a first round pick. I hope this one works out as well.

New season, new coach, new quarterback...we can only improve over last year!

BTW, I think they set a record for the least amount of time between being on the clock and announcing their pick!

Steve </div></div>

I've been surprised that "experts" have questioned his accuracy so much. He completed 66% of passes last season (damn good against SEC defenses all year... and higher than Peyton Manning, yes I said Peyton Manning, ever had in college). His yards per ATTEMPT was over 10, which means many of the passes were downfield, further making the completion % more impressive. His QB rating was 182.05! His passing ability was top notch all year! I think "experts" were sucked in to how much/well he ran the ball and assumed he was more of a "running QB" than a QB. But I do assure you, accuracy is not a question.

What he will have to work on is mechanics. Auburn ran a sort of hybrid spread... no huddles and out of shotgun 99% of time. He'll have to get used to working under center, 3 and 5 step drops, and those quick hitch passes to a slot receiver. He'll have to learn to make checks at the line himself without help from the sideline (Auburn's no huddle got them to the line quick, with plenty of time on the play clock to get audibles, protection changes and adjustments from the sideline). And finally he'll probably need a little quicker of a delivery. He doesn't drag the arm long and loopy as someone like a Tebow does/did... but he isn't a quick fire like a Manning, Brees, or Brady either.

Overall he's got all of the ability. The main concern I have is if he'll have the mental focus to do the "classroom" type stuff that will catch his brain ability up to that of his body's.

Sack

LWW
04-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Let's hope he outdoes the prior worstest ever #1 pick ... Kijana Carter.

sack316
04-29-2011, 03:26 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Let's hope he outdoes the prior worstest ever #1 pick ... Kijana Carter. </div></div>

In Carter's defense, he did suffer a serious injury which he never recovered fully from... so I'd classify that in "unfortunate" pick category rather than "worstest". It's not like he was a Jamarcus Russell or something

Sack

LWW
04-29-2011, 03:38 PM
I agree completely that it wasn't his fault ... but when you have the #1 pick in the nation and they are toast after the first play of the first preseason game of the first season of there career I think it qualifies as the worstest result ever for a #1 pick.

Mike Brown is cursed ... and ignorant on the topic of football on the field. It is astounding that he is the son of Paul Brown.

Has anyone ever seen his birth certificate? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

sack316
04-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Worstest <u>result</u> I can accept, just not worstest pick /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif It was a solid pick, with unfortunate circumstance that happened to follow.

Y'all got a great and the most pro-ready receiver in the draft, so there's a good start.

Cincy may be able to get Dalton or Mallett today. Mallet has the most potential but also the most questions. Dalton isn't extremely gifted physically, but is a smart kid and a winner. And even if not them, down the line they could get a very underrated Greg McElroy in late rounds. He never did too much on the field to impress or draw attention to himself... other than just win a crapload of games.

Sack

LWW
04-30-2011, 02:10 AM
What the Bungles desperately needed was a new QB with Palmer having had it with the Brown regime.

sack316
04-30-2011, 06:24 AM
those were my thoughts exactly. They got Dalton now, I think he could be a solid NFL QB. When/if business can resume as usual, I'm pretty sure McNabb and a few other veteran QBs will be looking to go somewhere else. Maybe they can make a good trade for one of them to come take the reigns for a couple of seasons and groom Dalton.

Sack

LWW
04-30-2011, 02:31 PM
I wish the city could draft a new team owner.

Cincinnati also negotiated the worstest ever stadium deal with Mikey ever.

Spent over twice as much on stadium for 8 Bengals games as they did for the Redlegs 81 games ... and the Redlegs have ownership determined to restore the Big Red Machine dynasty, while Mikey boy is pizzed when they make the playoffs because he has to pay the Ben-Gals for an extra weeks travel.

sack316
05-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Do you think Palmer is going to follow through with his threat of retiring if they don't let him out of Cincy?

Sack