PDA

View Full Version : What Great Pleasure! To Watch the Royal Wedding.

Gayle in MD
04-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Such grandeur annd tradition, may bore some, and even irritate them, but I have always loved the pagentry, tradition and joy, of the Royal Family Weddings.

It was a welcomed relief from real life issues, which provided the world the opporunity to escape some of the harsh realities of the problems of the world, and enter for a few hours, a world of beauty and joy.

I, for one, thoroughly enjoyed it, except for the moments, when I had to cry, thinking of how Princess Diana, so tragically, had to miss this day.

The music, was fabulous, and what is more beautiful, than listening to a boy's choir.

A truly beautiful bride, and handsome groom, so obviously in love, and in spite of their probable true wishes for a more private wedding, they proved seemingly well fit, and up for the majesty of the event.

As the event unfolded, I was happy to see that they came to enjoy it all.

I just wish that William's wonderful mother, could have been there with her sons.

G.

eg8r
04-29-2011, 09:03 AM
As our great friend Deeman said, it was great to see something the US did not have to pay for. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r <~~~says sorry to Dee for paraphrasing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Gayle in MD
04-29-2011, 09:07 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As our great friend Deeman said, it was great to see something the US did not have to pay for. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~says sorry to Dee for paraphrasing /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

LOL, I suppose one could look at it that way. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

wolfdancer
04-29-2011, 10:09 AM
I have always considered William to be a Prince of a fellow, but at the same time had the U.S. had to kick in for the expenses, that would have been a royal screwing. And speaking of a royal screwing, I hope a good time was had by both parties....

eg8r
04-29-2011, 10:11 AM
I never did understand all the hoopla over that family. My mother absolutely loved Princess Diana and I never "got" it. Thank goodness I don't watch much news and never the local stations that way I can avoid as much of this wedding as possible.

Did Obama ever get an invite or was he really snubbed?

eg8r

Gayle in MD
04-29-2011, 10:19 AM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I thought they were both just smashing! I absolutely loved her gown. I thought it was the prettiest Royal Gown, since Princess Grace's wedding.

I really missed my mom, my daughter and younger sister, though, since we used to always get together to watch these events. I used to have a special menu ready for them, and we would make it into a sort of mother/daughter day of fun.

But, sadly, she is no longer with us, and neither my daughter, nor my sister, are in town at the present.

So, it wasn't the same, but still very enjoyable to watch.

G.

Sid_Vicious
04-29-2011, 10:31 AM
I'm happy for those who get into this kinda thing, but for me...if I never hear or see anything about a royal British wedding ever again, it'll be too soon. The bride this time does add commoner class. That was cool. Otherwise, all that expensive pomp and show-off to me, is a negative emotion, and that expense could have helped a lot of needy people. England would most likely be one of the last countries I'd ever choose to visit anyway, it just has no appeal at all.

Weddings in general seem such a waste of money. I like simple things. To each their own. sid

Sev
04-29-2011, 10:46 AM
They make a fine looking couple. Diana would have been proud.

Probably one of the prettiest wedding gowns I have seen.

Gayle in MD
04-29-2011, 10:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm happy for those who get into this kinda thing, but for me...if I never hear or see anything about a royal British wedding ever again, it'll be too soon. The bride this time does add commoner class. That was cool. Otherwise, all that expensive pomp and show-off to me, is a negative emotion, and that expense could have helped a lot of needy people. England would most likely be one of the last countries I'd ever choose to visit anyway, it just has no appeal at all.

Weddings in general seem such a waste of money. I like simple things. To each their own. sid </div></div>

LOL, Sid, spoken like a TRUE MAN!

I'll bet many Big Weddings would never occur, if women didn't love them so.

I love Weddings, and I've never watched, nor attended a wedding, without being emotionally involved with the couple. Usually, I shed a few tears, thinking about how wonderful love is, and how great it is when we are newly in love, and also, of all of the love, attention and effort that parents put into bringing up their children. To me, the wedding, is the culmination, of all of that parental effort, finally arriving at a day of real celebration. And, as we all know, love does make the world go round.

BTW, I heard that the Queen, paid for the Wedding, and even the brides parents, kicked in.

Of course, that probably didn't cover the total expense of the pagentry, but the British, really love it, as was evident in the swells of happiness, and cheers, among the many thousands who stood along the route.

I thought that Kate and William's decision to leave the Palace, and ride alone together, to the next spot, with Prince William himself, at the wheel, waving, smiling, and closer to the many cheering Britians, was just GREAT! It was really an expression, of how this couple intends to handle their Majesty, IMO.

They seem such a down to earth, happy couple. I hope they have a wonderful life together. I think that Princess Diana, had a huge impact in Great Britian, and that her influence, with her sons, have made them both fine young men. I thought of her so much, as I watched...

As my Dad used to say, so often, "You're only young once!" I suppose I look at weddings somewhat as a celebration of young love, and I just love them! My daughter's wedding, was truly one of the happiest days of my life, and I know that was so for all of my family.

I think that Mother's who are lucky enough to see their daughter, marry a fine young man, and begin to carve out a good life together, feel that all of their efforts, were well worth it, regardless of how much money might be involved in the celebration.

To me, it's the creation of another special memory, a celebration of a another marker event, in on'es life. I've always thought that memory making, is a fine investment of my time, and maybe, the most valuable creation, of all. After all, memories really are the stuff life's made of. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Love,
Gayle

LWW
04-29-2011, 02:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never did understand all the hoopla over that family. My mother absolutely loved Princess Diana and I never "got" it. Thank goodness I don't watch much news and never the local stations that way I can avoid as much of this wedding as possible.

eg8r </div></div>

Dear leader has not been invited after a number of faux pas by the first family.

Also, I have never ... and probably will never ... understand how modern western nations such as the UK, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and India rationalize using taxpayer funds to support a megawealthy royal family?

The idea of Kings and Queens is so anti American.

sack316
04-29-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm not into it personally, but I do understand how some are fascinated with the pageantry and allure of the whole ordeal. I'd rather see the focus on this as opposed to say Charlie Sheen or Lindsay Lohan stuff anyway... at least the wedding is a positive event to be focused on.

And Ed, yeah I saw Deeman's post on it too... you captured it just fine /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

LWW
04-29-2011, 03:40 PM
The event itself ... yes, I get that.

I mean the idea of a "ROYAL FAMILY" supported by the taxpayer at all.

I think it's awesome if a family can have their kids wed in this fashion ... with their money.

cushioncrawler
04-29-2011, 04:44 PM
I didnt see any of it (praps 10 seconds) -- never saw the bride or the service. I dont like church services. At one stage i shut the double doors from the billiard room koz i kood hear a bishop or someone talking shit. In the lounge madsherie woz of course watching and taping every second.
And i am a royalist, ie a monarchist. Most in ozz are republikans, most in ozz dont know how shitty theusofa really iz.
mac.

pooltchr
04-29-2011, 07:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never did understand all the hoopla over that family.
eg8r </div></div>

I'm with you, Ed. I thought the reason this country came into being was to get out from underneath the evil royals!

Steve

Sev
04-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Wheres your sense of magic and romance people??

Its England and their tradition. Let them be.

As Memikey suggested on AZ, it is bringing a net profit into the nation of England.

LWW
04-30-2011, 02:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wheres your sense of magic and romance people??

Its England and their tradition. Let them be.

As Memikey suggested on AZ, it is bringing a net profit into the nation of England. </div></div>

Nobody's suggesting they shouldn't be allowed to do it ... just that it is completely against the idea of what America is.

Stretch
04-30-2011, 02:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never did understand all the hoopla over that family. My mother absolutely loved Princess Diana and I never "got" it. Thank goodness I don't watch much news and never the local stations that way I can avoid as much of this wedding as possible.

eg8r </div></div>

Ed, i don't think it was a snub. The young couple specifically requested that it NOT be a "Political" wedding so it was more to do with their family and friends. A bare minimum of representatives from the Commonwealth even attended. It was as (young British) as possible. I guess Prince Harry had quiet the after party and is flipping for breakfast. ALNIGHTER! Queenie Promised to only show up for Half an hour. So protocall had to be observed for that long. As soon as she was out the door though.........i think it's still going on. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif St.

Qtec
04-30-2011, 03:41 AM
Not to mention the security aspect of it. If Obama came, so would 500 security guys.

Did they really need all that hassle on their wedding day?

Q

Qtec
04-30-2011, 03:49 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just that it is completely against the idea of what America is. </div></div>

Like having a ruling class?

I thought you guys called them Job creators?

Q

Stretch
04-30-2011, 04:03 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to mention the security aspect of it. If Obama came, so would 500 security guys.

Q </div></div>

For sure not! I confess i watched the highlights of the service as well as the vows and all that. The Devil in me always comes out when they get to the part where he says "if anyone here objects to this union speek now or forever hold your peace". I mean there is always that slim chance where some damn fool might actually stand up and object. Wonder what would happen then? lol St.

LWW
04-30-2011, 05:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to mention the security aspect of it. If Obama came, so would <span style='font-size: 14pt'>500</span> security guys.

Q </div></div>

What an ill informed nit you are:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For months, London police, Scotland Yard and MI5 - Britain's counterintelligence unit - have been considering a slew of ugly scenarios as they prepare for the most expensive security event ever staged in the U.K. The $33 million operation was launched days after the Nov. 16 engagement announcement. Police began digitally mapping key locations from the air to identify weak spots, like rooftops, and intelligence units started tuning into phone conversations and monitored the Internet for chatter of potential wedding terror. At an April 19 security briefing, the Met's assistant commissioner Lynne Owens revealed that a team of 35 specially trained dogs - that can sniff bomb materials from 330 ft. (100 m) - had already scoured the wedding route. And police have opened up traffic lights, lampposts and water drains along the route, searching for explosives - and will recheck them in the coming days. Owens also confirmed that <span style='font-size: 14pt'>5,000 police officers</span> will be on duty on April 29 </div></div>

OH DEAR! (http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20110426/wl_time/08599206730300)

LWW
04-30-2011, 05:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to mention the security aspect of it. If Obama came, so would 500 security guys.

Q </div></div>

For sure not! I confess i watched the highlights of the service as well as the vows and all that. The Devil in me always comes out when they get to the part where he says "if anyone here objects to this union speek now or forever hold your peace". I mean there is always that slim chance where some damn fool might actually stand up and object. Wonder what would happen then? lol St. </div></div>

I think that's why they built the Tower of London.

LWW
04-30-2011, 05:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just that it is completely against the idea of what America is. </div></div>

Like having a ruling class?

Q </div></div>

America has no ruling class ... and I know this pains the O-cult greatly.

Sev
04-30-2011, 06:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never did understand all the hoopla over that family. My mother absolutely loved Princess Diana and I never "got" it. Thank goodness I don't watch much news and never the local stations that way I can avoid as much of this wedding as possible.

eg8r </div></div>

Ed, i don't think it was a snub. The young couple specifically requested that it NOT be a "Political" wedding so it was more to do with their family and friends. A bare minimum of representatives from the Commonwealth even attended. It was as (young British) as possible. I guess Prince Harry had quiet the after party and is flipping for breakfast. ALNIGHTER! Queenie Promised to only show up for Half an hour. So protocall had to be observed for that long. As soon as she was out the door though.........i think it's still going on. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif St. </div></div>

Actually Royal dignitaries and and leaders were invited. So it was not totally non political.

Gayle in MD
04-30-2011, 07:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not into it personally, but I do understand how some are fascinated with the pageantry and allure of the whole ordeal. I'd rather see the focus on this as opposed to say Charlie Sheen or Lindsay Lohan stuff anyway... at least the wedding is a positive event to be focused on.

And Ed, yeah I saw Deeman's post on it too... you captured it just fine /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack </div></div>

Sack,

They were very determined not to have their wedding day be a day with political overtones. Neither Tony Blair, nor his predecessor were invited.

I thought their decision that gifts be made in the form of contributions to their favorite charities, said a lot about this young couple. I heard, this morning, that the money is flowing in. That's a good thing.

Another thing, tonight is a big night in Washington D.C., the date planned well in advance, for The White House Correspondents Dinner, and, as well, the President and First Lady, have had a trip to Great Britian, on their schedule, leaving in just a couple of weeks.

I'm not big on celebrity worship, but I've always been caught up in the history of Europe, and particularly, England. Always loved movies set in England. Always loved the many great writers, of Great Britian.

For me, though, it was also a day of remembrance, of Lady Di, who I think had a tremendous impact on Great Britian, on the world, and particularly, on the face of family, and Royalty, as she, more than any other Royal before her, insisted her children live a normal life, outside the limits of the Palace, and be a part of and aware of, and connected to the commoners, of their country, the people of need, the plight of others in their country, less fortunate, not just in England, but around the world, as well, all those who suffer, and are needy.

She was such a good mother, and a fine person, and I do think many mothers around the world, had her in their thoughts, and in their hearts, yesterday.

This lovely new bride, will probably have a great deal more support, than Diana ever had, on many levels, because of everything that Diana endured, the way she handled all of it, and because of her devotion to Motherhood, above and beyond, everything else. That would make Lady Di, very happy, I'm sure.

G.

Gayle in MD
04-30-2011, 08:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stretch</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I never did understand all the hoopla over that family. My mother absolutely loved Princess Diana and I never "got" it. Thank goodness I don't watch much news and never the local stations that way I can avoid as much of this wedding as possible.

eg8r </div></div>

Ed, i don't think it was a snub. The young couple specifically requested that it NOT be a "Political" wedding so it was more to do with their family and friends. A bare minimum of representatives from the Commonwealth even attended. It was as (young British) as possible. I guess Prince Harry had quiet the after party and is flipping for breakfast. ALNIGHTER! Queenie Promised to only show up for Half an hour. So protocall had to be observed for that long. As soon as she was out the door though.........i think it's still going on. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif St. </div></div>

I loved the convertable ride, with the prince at the wheel!

I loved watching the Britians, thrilled with the entire event.

It's so great, regardless of the country, to see the citizens, or subjects, as the case may be, cheering for and enjoying their traditions, and sharing joy, with the Royal Family.

I haven't seen that much joy, since President Obama, was sworn into office.

G.

LWW
04-30-2011, 10:40 AM
Wait until he leaves office.

pooltchr
04-30-2011, 08:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wait until he leaves office. </div></div>

LOL!!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Steve

wolfdancer
04-30-2011, 11:12 PM
I've been to England, either Portsmouth or Plymouth?, and we took the train to London. It was interesting, but I can't see myself ever going back.....I had a hard time learning the language...they have a habit of dropping syllables, or letters e.g. gov'ner, ere mate ....and the damn fools drive on the wrong side of the street.
But the Aussies really love the Limeys, so they can't be all that bad
Now, Australia is a country that I would enjoy visiting again....

LWW
05-01-2011, 05:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually Royal dignitaries and and leaders were invited. So it was not totally non political. </div></div>

Dissing Winston, offering a gift of NTSC DVD's and an iPod of Obama speeches as token gifts, and laying hands on the queen didn't help matters.

Gayle in MD
05-01-2011, 05:50 AM
They drive on the wrong side, huh, lol.
I think my love of history, influences how much interest I have in England and the Royals.

BTW, if you haven't seen, "The King's Speech" it's really a great movie.

Also, if you didn't watch the White House Correspondant's Dinner, Last night on C-Span, you might want to watch it on their Video links. If you do, see if you can fast forward to the comedy part. A RIOT!

Both the President, and Seth Meyers, the guy from Saturday Night Live, did the comedy roasting, and they were both hilarious.

Trump, was there, and took the roasting from the President, fairly well, although he scowled through most of it, but by the end, after Seth Meyers got through joking about Trump's hair, and some other stuff, Trump really showed what a sore head he is. You could see he was seething, and really couldn't take a joke. He didn't crack a smile through Meyer's whole routine, lol.

At the end, the cameras caught Trump, pushing past people, his wife BEHIND HIM, (didn't even allow her to walk in front of him!!!) trying to catch up to him, and he looked pissed, big time.

Can't wait to read NYTthe , and WAPO, today! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

eg8r
05-02-2011, 07:43 AM
LOL, it probably was one for the record books. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

LWW
05-02-2011, 10:35 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think my love of history, influences how much interest I have in England and the Royals.

BTW, if you haven't seen, "The King's Speech" it's really a great movie.</div></div>

That cracks me up.

That statement shows that you are either oblivious to the true history of the royal family ... or a Hitler fan like the king ... or both.

wolfdancer
05-02-2011, 07:54 PM
I can describe the occasion with 3, or maybe, just 4 words
"Pomp and Circumstances"...."An Affair To Remember"
or 5 ?...."The Man Who would Be King"

pooltchr
05-02-2011, 08:18 PM
good thing we didn't get OBL on Friday...the MSM wouldn't have known what to cover!

Steve

LWW
05-03-2011, 04:07 AM
They never know what to cover until the regime tells them what to cover.