PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on an area rug

ihatecars
04-30-2011, 04:36 AM
I am thinking about putting an area rug under my pool table. I don't have my table yet, it hasn't been delivered. It is an 8' table with wooden legs without levelers attached.

One issue I am encountering is the size. I don't want the rug to only cover the legs of the table, I also want it to stretch out passed the table.

I have real wood floors and I want to protect against foot traffic and balls flying off the table.

Does anyone have an area rug? How do you like it? What size is it?

Any suggestions?

bradb
04-30-2011, 03:43 PM
The rug will have to extend out some distance from the table as it would be awkward for players to stand on the edge of the rug while shooting. I would say at least 5 feet.

I have a 9' table sitting on a hard wood floor and I have no trouble with damage to the wood. -Brad

cushioncrawler
04-30-2011, 05:20 PM
My 12' iz on hardwood floor. The floor (and the table) hav lots of ball dents. The floor dents dont worry me (but worry madsherie), but the dents on the fiddleback blackwood rails are praps a bit of a worry (not that u kan do anything).

I wouldnt hav a big carpet rug, carpets are dirty. But we did consider having 4 narrow carpet runners of some sort around the table, after all carpet runners are sort of traditional with 12' tables.

We hav some big cattle skins on our floors, mainly for show. Plus lots of calf skins in places, not for show. Big skins are about $500, cheaper if a defekt or small hole.
The big skin next to the table iz a pain, it keeps catching, and never sits flat.
Whenever we vacuum we shake the skins out over the edge of the balcony -- the big skins are a 2-man job.
mac.

bradb
04-30-2011, 07:21 PM
I may have to take back my statement that there is no damage to the wood floor.

I got to thinking about it and so went in and studied the floor. From normal angles there is no visible damage, however when I got down at floor level and with the window light reflecting off it there are a few small indentations that can be seen.

I'm hoping I can pull them back out with a hot iron and a damp cloth, (it works on a cue.) The dents are minor but now its bugging me a bit.

An area rug under the table could be closer in than 5 feet if its not too thick. I have a large silk persian rug and its not uncomfortable to stand on its edges.

cushioncrawler
04-30-2011, 10:38 PM
Some of my bigger floor dents were made by Colin Colenso. U kan twist your ankle inem.
mac.

Rich R.
05-01-2011, 04:38 AM
Unless you constantly jump balls off of the table, I don't think dents in the floor will be a huge problem. I also think having your feet on the edge of the rug could be distracting.

Another consideration could be leaving the table sit on the bare floor and surround the table with a wide rug runner on the area where your feet will be. The runner could be cut to fit and connected at the corners.

Although the rug would be much easier on your feet and legs, I would probably just leave the floor bare if it were in my house. It would definitely be easier when it came time to clean.