PDA

View Full Version : I love community togetherness in the south...

sack316
04-30-2011, 08:34 AM
A few years ago when we here in Prattville got devastated by tornadoes we had so much togetherness and help come in from all over the state.

I'm proud to see my town putting together several fundraisers and non-perishable item drives this weekend to provide assistance around the state

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our city saw the generosity of people a couple of years ago when we suffered a tornado and now it is time for Prattville to give back. We are a caring community and we need to step up and help these people in a desperate time of need. </div></div>

I've seen several free concerts listed for today that were put together quickly to raise donations, among several other events that will be going on. So proud of my city!

Also, the well known rivalry between Auburn University (Auburn, AL) and University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa, AL) is about as heated as any can get. Not long ago a Bama fan poisoned landmark traditional trees on Toomer's corner in Auburn as a prank. U of A and Tuscaloosa pulled together with "Tide for Toomer's" to raise money in hopes of saving the century+ old iconic trees.

I'm proud to say Auburn has returned the favor and created a "Toomer's for Tuscaloosa" cause in hopes of helping our rivals during their tragedy.

It never ceases to amaze me to see how so many people come together, putting EVERYTHING else aside to help others.

Sack

Gayle in MD
04-30-2011, 09:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A few years ago when we here in Prattville got devastated by tornadoes we had so much togetherness and help come in from all over the state.

I'm proud to see my town putting together several fundraisers and non-perishable item drives this weekend to provide assistance around the state

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Our city saw the generosity of people a couple of years ago when we suffered a tornado and now it is time for Prattville to give back. We are a caring community and we need to step up and help these people in a desperate time of need. </div></div>

I've seen several free concerts listed for today that were put together quickly to raise donations, among several other events that will be going on. So proud of my city!

Also, the well known rivalry between Auburn University (Auburn, AL) and University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa, AL) is about as heated as any can get. Not long ago a Bama fan poisoned landmark traditional trees on Toomer's corner in Auburn as a prank. U of A and Tuscaloosa pulled together with "Tide for Toomer's" to raise money in hopes of saving the century+ old iconic trees.

I'm proud to say Auburn has returned the favor and created a "Toomer's for Tuscaloosa" cause in hopes of helping our rivals during their tragedy.

It never ceases to amaze me to see how so many people come together, putting EVERYTHING else aside to help others.

Sack
</div></div>

Kudos, Sack. I know exactly what you mean. I, too, was touched by our community spirit, and all the help and aid, from our neighbors, back when Isabel hit here, and the community south of us, lost 87 homes.

All were taken in by neighbors, and various business in our community came together to clear and rebuild, even before insurance money came through.

Watching the clips, of these horrible Tornados is just heartbreaking.

BTW, How did Dee's area fare??? Haven't heard.

G.

LWW
04-30-2011, 10:42 AM
That is far more common in the south ... and I'm glad to here you have great neighbors.

Sev
04-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Remember when people were incredulous about the lack of looting in the Japan. It appears very little is occurring in the south. Granted the police are out in force but still there have been very few incidences.

It would be a far different story in the metropolitain areas of NY and CA or New Orleans.

sack316
04-30-2011, 01:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Kudos, Sack. I know exactly what you mean. I, too, was touched by our community spirit, and all the help and aid, from our neighbors, back when Isabel hit here, and the community south of us, lost 87 homes.

All were taken in by neighbors, and various business in our community came together to clear and rebuild, even before insurance money came through.

Watching the clips, of these horrible Tornados is just heartbreaking.

BTW, How did Dee's area fare??? Haven't heard.

G. </div></div>

That reminded me, even on the day the storms hit, hours before anything was even happening, folks were on the radio announcing businesses, gov't buildings, and other places that people could go "if they were just scared". Thought it was pretty cool that people were opening up to create gathering spots for people to just come ride it out where they didn't have to be alone if they didn't want to, or just to feel a little safer /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I know Deeman is fine, and his area is alright as far as I know (he lives closer to the aforementioned Auburn area of the state).

Sack

sack316
04-30-2011, 01:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is far more common in the south ... and I'm glad to here you have great neighbors. </div></div>

Well luckily we had great neighbors a few years ago when we were hit, we're just trying to return the favor now as best we can /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sack

sack316
04-30-2011, 01:57 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Remember when people were incredulous about the lack of looting in the Japan. It appears very little is occurring in the south. Granted the police are out in force but still there have been very few incidences.

It would be a far different story in the metropolitain areas of NY and CA or New Orleans. </div></div>

Yeah I don't recall any looting incidents last time we got it bad. I have heard no reports of any thus far this go around.

In fact someone on facebook created a page for people to post keepsakes, photos, and documents that they have found in debris. Not only to share but also in hopes that things can somehow be returned to the rightful owners at some point. I know my Mom is still heartbroken over all the things she lost a few years ago, hopefully the outreach will help someone else get some of their things back!

Sack

pooltchr
04-30-2011, 08:33 PM
We've seen the same thing here when eastern NC got hit with tornados. Our area rarely sees anything like that, although one did touch down not far away when your storms finally got here.

I remember when Hugo shut down Charlotte for days. People were having "freezer parties" You take everything our, throw it on the grill since we had no electricity, and invite all the neighbors over for a big cook out.

For all the abuse the south takes from our neighbors to the north, there are no finer people anywhere. When the chips are down, a southerner will give you the shirt off his back if you needed it.

Steve

sack316
05-01-2011, 07:15 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When the chips are down, a southerner will give you the shirt off his back if you needed it.

Steve </div></div>

Literally! And sometimes even if you don't <u>need</u> it. Years ago I ran into this guy that worked under my Dad, didn't really know him personally at the time. He was wearing a funny shirt, and I told him I liked it! Next day my Dad came home from work, and handed me the shirt! Dude took it home, washed it, and just gave it to me.

Sack

Sev
05-01-2011, 02:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When the chips are down, a southerner will give you the shirt off his back if you needed it.

Steve </div></div>

Literally! And sometimes even if you don't <u>need</u> it. Years ago I ran into this guy that worked under my Dad, didn't really know him personally at the time. He was wearing a funny shirt, and I told him I liked it! Next day my Dad came home from work, and handed me the shirt! Dude took it home, washed it, and just gave it to me.

Sack </div></div>

Hey Sack.
What are the rules for working in AL?

In the next few months contracting is going to be booming.