PDA

View Full Version : Donald Trump's Vietnam Draft Claim

Qtec
05-01-2011, 04:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>Donald Trump's Vietnam Draft Claim Called Into Question </span>

<span style="color: #990000">Earlier this week, Donald Trump said during an interview that he avoided being called to serve in the Vietnam War because he "got lucky" and "had a very high draft number." The Smoking Gun reports, however, that appears not to have been the case.</span>

According to the website, Selective Service records tell a different story:

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>By the time his number (356) was drawn during the December 1, 1969 draft lottery, <u>Trump had already received four student deferments and a medical deferment, according to military records on file</u></span> with the National Archives and Records Administration. An extract of Trump’s Selective Classification record, seen here, was provided in response to a TSG records request.

(Click here to view the records obtained by The Smoking Gun.)

National Review Online relays what Trump initially told New York-based station WNYW about the matter earlier this week. <span style="color: #3333FF">“I was sitting at college, watching," he said to the local outlet, "I was going to the Wharton School of Finance. And I was watching as they did the draft numbers and I got a very, very high number and those numbers [they] never got up to.”

The Smoking Gun reports, however, that <u>the draft lottery that took place in December of 1969 came eighteen months after Trump graduated from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.</u></span>

National Review Online questioned the claims made by Trump to WNYW on Thursday. Brian Bolduc wrote:

But in her biography of Trump, Donald Trump: Master Apprentice, journalist Gwenda Blair attributes the Donald’s escape of the draft to another factor: “Donald’s military career ended with NYMA graduation; <span style='font-size: 17pt'>despite his athletic prowess, in 1968 he received a medical deferment from the military draft.</span>”

Trump has yet to announce whether he plans to run for president in the next election cycle. During a stop in Las Vegas on Thursday night he said he could be expected to make his plans known by June 1. When one woman at the event shouted "run for president," the billionaire reportedly responded, "I think I am going to make you very happy on that." </div></div>

Can't wait for the Fox expose' on this. LOL

Every time the guy opens his mouth he seems to get dumber.

Q... link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/29/donald-trump-vietnam-draft_n_855481.html)

[ He's lucky he inherited wealth because otherwise he would be in jail. If you can be bankrupt 4 times.......and still have your own private jet, then you are part of the problem, not the solution.]

LWW
05-01-2011, 05:44 AM
So he didn't flee the country a la Billy Jeff Clinton?

So he didn't run patrol with body guards assigned to him a la Albert Gore Jr?

So he didn't go to the reserves a la George Walker Bush?

I don't like the way any of them behaved during this period ... but your spin on all of this is again hyperpartisan.

Gayle in MD
05-01-2011, 06:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>Donald Trump's Vietnam Draft Claim Called Into Question </span>

<span style="color: #990000">Earlier this week, Donald Trump said during an interview that he avoided being called to serve in the Vietnam War because he "got lucky" and "had a very high draft number." The Smoking Gun reports, however, that appears not to have been the case.</span>

According to the website, Selective Service records tell a different story:

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>By the time his number (356) was drawn during the December 1, 1969 draft lottery, <u>Trump had already received four student deferments and a medical deferment, according to military records on file</u></span> with the National Archives and Records Administration. An extract of Trump’s Selective Classification record, seen here, was provided in response to a TSG records request.

(Click here to view the records obtained by The Smoking Gun.)

National Review Online relays what Trump initially told New York-based station WNYW about the matter earlier this week. <span style="color: #3333FF">“I was sitting at college, watching," he said to the local outlet, "I was going to the Wharton School of Finance. And I was watching as they did the draft numbers and I got a very, very high number and those numbers [they] never got up to.”

The Smoking Gun reports, however, that <u>the draft lottery that took place in December of 1969 came eighteen months after Trump graduated from the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania.</u></span>

National Review Online questioned the claims made by Trump to WNYW on Thursday. Brian Bolduc wrote:

But in her biography of Trump, Donald Trump: Master Apprentice, journalist Gwenda Blair attributes the Donald’s escape of the draft to another factor: “Donald’s military career ended with NYMA graduation; <span style='font-size: 17pt'>despite his athletic prowess, in 1968 he received a medical deferment from the military draft.</span>”

Trump has yet to announce whether he plans to run for president in the next election cycle. During a stop in Las Vegas on Thursday night he said he could be expected to make his plans known by June 1. When one woman at the event shouted "run for president," the billionaire reportedly responded, "I think I am going to make you very happy on that." </div></div>

Can't wait for the Fox expose' on this. LOL

Every time the guy opens his mouth he seems to get dumber.

Q... link (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/29/donald-trump-vietnam-draft_n_855481.html)

[ He's lucky he inherited wealth because otherwise he would be in jail. If you can be bankrupt 4 times.......and still have your own private jet, then you are part of the problem, not the solution.] </div></div>

So, I wonder what the medical problem was? Schizophrenic Hair follicles?

How the hell can the right talk about him like he is a self-made man?

His father, was wealthy....

I want to know where Trump's father went to school. Could be, like Bush, he got in on nepotism, Da Da's attendence, and load of contributions from Da Da.

Regardless, Trump is the laughing stock of the country.

Last night, he showed his *** big time!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

pooltchr
05-01-2011, 07:49 AM
If his draft lottery number was 356, the chances of his having been called up are extremely low. The lottery only went up to 366!! Mine was 37. I knew I would get called up, and decided to go ahead and enlist and take a little bit of control over my military career. If my number had been 356, I might never have even ended up with the honor of serving my country. You gotta remember, the entire country had a very different view of things during Viet Nam.

Steve

Gayle in MD
05-01-2011, 07:49 AM
BTW, The Washington Post has a "Vote for the best joke" tally going....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cele...og.html?hpid=z4 (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/celebritology/post/seth-meyers-vote-for-his-best-joke-at-the-white-house-correspondents-dinner/2011/04/30/AFAATsOF_blog.html?hpid=z4)

Looks like, so far, the best joke was the one when Seth said he was....

'Surprised to hear that Donald Trump was going to run for the presidency as a Republican. I thought he was running as a joke!"

But, the author of this article, and poll on the best joke, left out the funniest one, about his hair, Trump having a fox on his head, LMAO! That one was really hilarious...

I'll have to look for it.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

sack316
05-01-2011, 10:08 AM
The Comedy Central roast of Trump was good if you haven't seen it. He took most things pretty well, but every once in a while they caught him scowling a bit

Sack

wolfdancer
05-01-2011, 10:32 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Schizophrenic Hair follicles? </div></div>
lol !!

Sev
05-01-2011, 02:46 PM
Should we stay or should we go now??? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Qtec
05-02-2011, 04:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So he didn't flee the country a la Billy Jeff Clinton?
</div></div> <span style="color: #990000">NO</span>

So he didn't run patrol with body guards assigned to him a la Albert Gore Jr? <span style="color: #990000">Not that I know of.</span>

So he didn't go to the reserves a la George Walker Bush?<span style="color: #990000"> LOL </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I don't like the way any of them behaved during this period ... but your spin on all of this is again hyperpartisan. </div></div>

No.

Trump lies through his teeth.
I point it out.
You call that hyper-partisan.

Q

LWW
05-02-2011, 05:28 AM
No.

What I call hyper partisan is how you jump all over this after years of giving Al and Billy Jeff a pass.