PDA

View Full Version : Pool Instruction

Ludba
09-13-2002, 04:11 AM
I am very much considering getting some kind of pool instruction. The most appealing so far is Cue U., though it is far away from home (I live in Austin, TX). Does anyone have any success (or horror) stories with private instruction or pool academies?

Ludba
09-15-2002, 03:17 AM
Sorry if I sound a little incredulous, but has NO ONE here received pool instruction from a pool academy or individual instructor?

Amanda
09-15-2002, 06:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ludba:</font><hr> I am very much considering getting some kind of pool instruction. The most appealing so far is Cue U., though it is far away from home (I live in Austin, TX). Does anyone have any success (or horror) stories with private instruction or pool academies? <hr></blockquote>

I went to the cutech pool school in Dallas. I went for 3, 8 hour days of instruction with Randy Gottlicher. Not only did I feel I got alot of it, but alot of people around noticed the big difference. As with any kind of instruction in any area it also depends on what the student puts into it.
Good luck!
Amanda

Race2-9
09-15-2002, 07:19 AM
Contact Randy Goettlicher at the Academy of Billiards, Dallas, Tx. He has an excellent school, VERY intense. Instruction by BCA Master Instructors. Bottom line, give him a call and talk with him, what have you got to lose?

Ken
09-15-2002, 07:45 AM
There was a thread about this topic (Austin) two weeks ago where at least 24 instructors were mentioned. I doubt that anyone is inclined to post much more about this.

There are about 400 posts about instruction of some kind or another. Just look around and you will find the answers. This board has a search feature.

09-15-2002, 11:29 AM
truth is you are probably better off finding a local pro that will give you instruction once a week for 50 bucks an hour.... I am sure that something like Pool School would be benificial for your initial entrance into instruction... but usually fly by night instructors ( scott lee) and pool academys only give you a kind of shock value that temporarily elevates your game but unless you get continued instruction you are apt to forget alot of the teachings and slide back to your old ways... by al means if you have money to burn then try any number of good schools around the US.. there is even a very expensive one in BC canada run by paul potier, Alison, Gerda and mike massey. There is also no substitute for practice.

09-17-2002, 07:59 PM
Call Randy G at 1 800 707-0158 in Dallas!

09-17-2002, 08:04 PM
Please don't speak for our school unless you are an alumni.....randyg at CUE-TECH in Dallas!

Scott Lee
09-18-2002, 01:03 AM
d0wnt0wn...If I only temporarily elevate someone's ability, how come my students, who continue to improve, have collectively won 17 national championships, and numerous regional, state, and local titles? Are they ALL just lucky? LOL Like Randy G said...please don't speak for me, unless you have taken instruction from me.

Scott Lee

Ludba
09-18-2002, 01:10 AM
Actually, I just called him earlier today (what a nice guy). Working out something for later this year or beginning of next. Thanks!

09-18-2002, 09:45 AM
to answer your question, "has no one here attended a pool school"? Ha Ha Ha. They all spent their money on $300 cases &amp; $1000 cues.
Ask your local pool hall owner how many of the players ask about taking lessons. Don't be surprised at the look on his face or his reply.
If you possess some talent for the game, $1300 for GOOD Lessons, practice time &amp; a $29 Sneaky Pete will have you running balls &amp; some racks in one year or less.
$1300 worth of Cue &amp; Case &amp; 3 nights a week drinking beer &amp; hanging out will get you NO WHERE !
Pool is the only game I've been around where the players all want to "play to learn". Ha Ha Ha, they just want to PLAY. That method takes years &amp; years... statistically it never pays off.
Surely there is someone in Austin that can &amp; will give you a real analysis of your chances to increase your skills by attending a pool school. If they want to sell you a $300 case &amp; a $1000 Cue... they are not the person to listen to!
Next year, after lots of lessons &amp; real practice, you've become a real player, you will have made enough money, from the local WANT TO BE's, to buy your Cue &amp; Case.

09-18-2002, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> d0wnt0wn...If I only temporarily elevate someone's ability, how come my students, who continue to improve, have collectively won 17 national championships, and numerous regional, state, and local titles?<hr></blockquote>

We have talked about this before Scott.... you seem to want to take all of the credit for these peoples achievments, somehow thinking that you are the only influence that has made any difference to these peoples pool playing lives..... I anxiously await for an "I'd like to thank Scott Lee for making this all happen for me" the next time I am watching pool on TV. You assume that I insult you by using the term "fly by night". If you spend 1 day maybe 2 in a city giving some instruction then leave not to bee seen again for possibly years to come.. what would you call that?? Are you possibly trying to say that your 1 day of instruction is more benificial then a prolonged 1 on 1 session once a week over a long period of time with another highly qualified instructor? Because if you read my post again thats all I was saying. Please stop crying Scott because I dont get down on my knees and praise you as some of the posters here do....I am just being realistic.

09-18-2002, 10:40 AM
Truth is Randy I have chosen not to be an alumni for a few reasons. I would be more than happy to list them but I actually like you so I wont.

09-18-2002, 10:41 AM
AMEN....Randyg

Amanda
09-18-2002, 10:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> truth is you are probably better off finding a local pro that will give you instruction once a week for 50 bucks an hour.... I am sure that something like Pool School would be benificial for your initial entrance into instruction... but usually fly by night instructors ( scott lee) and pool academys only give you a kind of shock value that temporarily elevates your game but unless you get continued instruction you are apt to forget alot of the teachings and slide back to your old ways... <hr></blockquote>

Having attended RandyG's pool school in Dallas I can tell you it is far from a "fly by night" operation, and as with anything you do in life and learning, you get out of it what you put into it. I spent 3 days of instruction time there and its helped my game immensely, of course while there I spent my days with Randy, then went out to a local pool hall to work on what I've been learning and stayed till 1am. I didn't have a day I didn't practice and work on integrating it all for the next 3 weeks. I also have all the written materials to keep my memory fresh as to what I need to remember and work on. Bottom line is, sure you can go anywhere and take lessons from anyone and learn nothing if you put nothing into it.
Thanks for all your help Randy! Look forward to seeing you in 2 weeks.
Amanda

09-18-2002, 10:55 AM
amanda I am not saying that you cant get "something" from it.... but pool is something you learn over years and years of experience... if you go to 1 pool school for 3 days and you play pool for 10 years how big of a piece of the learning pie do you think that 3 days can possibly be?
you say that you have improved immensely as a result of attending pool school and I have no doubt that for you that is true... but I would assume that judging by your eagerness for the game and your willingness to practice.. that you would have improved a great deal had you gone there or not.

09-18-2002, 11:09 AM
This is Randyg again. Thanks for the friendship, but I would still like to understand your reasoning. My personal email is: goettlicher@attbi.com I would love to hear from you.......randy

09-18-2002, 11:38 AM
Sorry about the anonymous post - Chris in NC. I was unable to include my name after first reviewing the post. I can't say enough about Randy G's Cuetech Pool School in Dallas. Randy and Leslie Rogers (both longtime Master level BCA instructors) were here at our room in NC this past weekend for a weekend workshop - to a capacity class of eager students and instructor candidates including myself. There's no question about it - even for a very skilled and experienced player it is a whole lot of info to digest, crammed in to 3 days - 8+ hours a day. Some may find this format a bit overwhelming and exhausting - both physically and mentally. However, those that are passionate enough about their pastime to be willing to make this kind of investment to improve their game (as Cuetech's students generaly are) will no doubt greatly benefit from this experience. Yes, the improvement won't be immediate or automatic - and you absolutely must work very hard on your game to get the results. Also, in this transition you must be willing to accept that your game may possibly get worse before you see the results and improvement.

Yes, as another poster mentioned, clearly a more ideal learning situation would be a few hours every week or two over a long period of time from a very reputable instructor. However, as your top instructors are few and far between, this is not feasible for most - unless you happen live in certain geographic areas of the country close to one of these highly qualified instructors, and assuming they have the time to work with you 1-on-1.

I can tell you that all of Randy's students at this past weekend's school had nothing but great things to say about their experience here. These students were ALL treated as well and given just as much respect and individual attention as were Allison and Gerda - who attended Randy's school in Dallas with myself back in March of this year. I'm sure there are other reputable pool schools as well as numerous qualified individual instructors / coaches that can help your game. Again the bottom line is whether you are lucky enough to be able to find one you can trust, and then how much you are willing to make the necessary changes and invest a good deal time (and patience) to working on your game. - Chris in NC

09-18-2002, 11:47 AM
I bet allison and Gerda were there looking for ways that they could improve thier own "pool school in paradise"

Troy
09-18-2002, 12:17 PM
For your information, "Pool School in Paradise" does NOT belong to Allison and Gerda alone. You seem to convenienly forget Mike and Paul.

Also, as any instructor already knows, furthering their own education is mandatory in the teaching business. As such, I see nothing wrong with instructors attending school as students.

If you are unable to comprehend this, it is your loss.

Troy...~~~ Tired of "dumbdown"'s constant bickering

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> I bet allison and Gerda were there looking for ways that they could improve thier own "pool school in paradise" <hr></blockquote>

09-18-2002, 02:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Troy:</font><hr> For your information, "Pool School in Paradise" does NOT belong to Allison and Gerda alone. You seem to convenienly forget Mike and Paul.
<hr></blockquote>

I have posted about pool school in paradise on numerous occasions and i have give full credit to all of its owners, read before you talk.

Ross
09-18-2002, 04:23 PM
Downtown - I have to congratulate you! You have taken cynicism and a "glass-is-half-empty" approach to new, seldom-seen levels!

Truly a marvel.

09-18-2002, 04:28 PM
Thanks ross I can tell you meant that from the bottom of your heart :OP

Barbara
09-18-2002, 06:56 PM
Yes it does!!!

And I need a refresher course since I haven't played all summer!!

So how about it RandyG? Got any traveling plans up north in the future??

Who else in the NE would be interested?? Let's hear you!!

Barbara~~~brushing away the cobwebs from the pool lights again... tomorrow night...

Chris Cass
09-18-2002, 07:02 PM