PDA

View Full Version : Cue Chalk Preference?

KalboKev
05-01-2011, 07:21 AM
I've read lot's of BS about Blue Master is better than Green? It's just a mater of pigmentation. It's like food coloring... Most pro Snooker players "prefer" green Triangle. Most Pro Pool players "prefer" blue Master. Both Master and Triangle are made in the same plant by Tweeten. It's Marketing!

Brunswick chalk on the other hand is different. It's dirty on your cue hand, but it normally doesn't mark it's spot on the cloth. Every Tweeten product I've used leaves a trail... Similar cueing action, it's largely a matter of maintenance?

Would U Rather clean the table with Tweeten, or your cue hand with Brunswick?

Haven't tried the "Blue Diamond" Longoni secret formula...If rumors are true...??? Woo Hoo!

Rich R.
05-01-2011, 02:17 PM
I do prefer Master's chalk over Triangle, Brunswick or Silver
Cup but I see no real difference between colors.
I haven't tried the Longoni and I probably will never try the Kamui chalk at something like $25 per cube.

Deeman3
05-01-2011, 07:02 PM
It ain't the chalk! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

wolfdancer
05-02-2011, 12:42 AM
It ain't the.......chalk; it's the motion?
Some chalks are better then others......
One room in SF had red table cloths, and red chalk. They use rouge,
I believe to get the red color, and the chalk seemed to be softer then most other chalks. The room was in the heart of the financial district, and people stopped after work to play.....that chalk and white long sleeve shirts do not mix well. The hi-tech and financial crowd, by the way, thought that tipping was a city in China...

KalboKev
05-02-2011, 05:53 AM
I agree. If the establishment has red cloth, use red chalk, it's the right thing to do? Is there discernible a difference between brands? Silver Cup plays nice?

cushioncrawler
05-02-2011, 06:03 AM
I uze kieckhefer.
mac.

wolfdancer
05-02-2011, 09:25 PM
I can't remember that far back, but think that was the chalk that we used for our "action" table, which was also used for the finals of our biggest tournaments.
I still prefer green cloth, although blue isn't bad, and black would be a third choice.
Yellow and mauve might be ok in a wimmin's pool <s>room</s> er, parlor

Bambu
05-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Maybe its the darker blue color that gives the illusion of covering the tip better, but I'll stick to my masters blue. I was gonna buy kamui chalk, but for 25 bucks I'm going to have to try it first.

Rich R.
05-03-2011, 05:04 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe its the darker blue color that gives the illusion of covering the tip better, but I'll stick to my masters blue. I was gonna buy kamui chalk, but for 25 bucks I'm going to have to try it first. </div></div>
A friend on another forum had the opportunity to try the Kamui chalk. Actually, he said it is not really chalk. It is some other substance and it is very fine, like the consistency of ladies make-up. It is certainly different from what we are used to using. Unfortunately, he didn't get to try it enough to say whether it is actually better than regular chalk.

I'm not usuallly one to skimp on equipment but, at the approximate price of $25 for a cube smaller than regular chalk, I really don't care how good it is. I won't be using it. I don't think it would make that much of a difference in my game.

JoeW
05-04-2011, 01:03 PM
I am on my fourth cube of Blue Diamond and have now come to the conclusion that it is no better (and no worse) than the Master's Chalk I used for many years.

Got sucked in by the hype that said there are fewer mis-cues with Blue Diamond. That may be true but it doesn't seem to make much difference, if any, in my game. I seem to mis-cue as often as I ever did.

So I will be going back to Master's Blue when this cube is used up.

cushioncrawler
05-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Joe -- Miss-cues are like car crashes. If u put the best tyres and brakes in the world on your heap u wont hav less crashes, u will hav the same number of crashes u allways had, only they will be bigger crashes.
Koz, in time u will change your driving to reflekt the fakt that u hav great brakes etc. U will drive faster, or kloser to the car in front, or u will leev off braking till later, or u will take less care.

I once sayd that if u remooved brake lights from all cars then the number of rear-end accidents wouldnt change, koz everyone would drive slower and more carefully etc etc.

If the chalk iz better chalk, i think u would see more powerfull skrewing, but u would see about the same amount of miss-cueing. Talking about the long-run here, initially (for a little while) u would of course see the benefit of better chalk.

Its psychologikal.
mac.

JoeW
05-08-2011, 02:38 PM
my ability to use screw or as we say, "draw," has not been noticably different though I did not evaluate Blue Diamond in this way. Thanks, I will now have to see if I can get "more" draw with Blue Diamond than with Master's. An interesting idea, thanks.

BlakeW
10-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Using Blue Diamond right now, will go back to blue Master when it is gone. Could not tell a difference at all.

Bambu
11-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Well after all the kamui chalk hype on other sites, i still could not bring myself to spend the money. I still felt cheated though, I wanted to try something supposedly better than master. So I bought a piece of blue diamond for about 1/10th the price of a piece of kamui.

This stuff grabs better, applies smoother, lasts longer, and makes less of a blue mess on your cue and hands. Even if its all in my head, I feel a little more confident. So I'd still buy it for the placebo effect alone. For 3 bucks, I'm a high roller.

Sid_Vicious
11-05-2011, 09:54 PM
Personally, I stock and carry Masters tan chalk, but if caught without it...Masters green...then Masters blue as a last resort. sid

Rich R.
11-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Bambu, I know a few players who seem to use the Blue Diamond all of the time but I have never used it myself. After your review, I may give it a shot if I happen to come across some.
I'm really tempted to go for the Kamui, just for a one time purchase, but I'm afraid I'll like it too much to give it up.

kwikstroke
11-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Chalking thoroughly and often seems to be more important than the type or color of chalk. I do see one big difference .... take a look at the ferrule and upper shaft area of a cue that has used Blue chalk for a long time. Seems the blue dye used in the chalk tends to stain both the ferrule and the wood. I use only green Master chalk and my eight year old cue looks like new. One more trick, wipe off all chalk before you put the cue in its case. It keeps you from getting chalk into the lining of the case and on the cue over time.

Bambu
11-07-2011, 07:18 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bambu, I know a few players who seem to use the Blue Diamond all of the time but I have never used it myself. After your review, I may give it a shot if I happen to come across some.
I'm really tempted to go for the Kamui, just for a one time purchase, but I'm afraid I'll like it too much to give it up. </div></div>

Good luck with it Rich, I hope you like it. One more thing I forgot to mention, no more weird squeaking noise from people who grind the chalk in(not even on a plastic tip).

Rich R.
11-07-2011, 07:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bambu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rich R.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bambu, I know a few players who seem to use the Blue Diamond all of the time but I have never used it myself. After your review, I may give it a shot if I happen to come across some.
I'm really tempted to go for the Kamui, just for a one time purchase, but I'm afraid I'll like it too much to give it up. </div></div>

Good luck with it Rich, I hope you like it. One more thing I forgot to mention, no more weird squeaking noise from people who grind the chalk in(not even on a plastic tip). </div></div>
I use soft tips on my playing cues so I don't usually get the squeak but I do have phenolic on my break cues.

Sid_Vicious
11-07-2011, 09:28 AM
I paint chalk on and never get squeaks. Seems so simple to me. What does it accomplish to force chalk and make noise? I figure it is just a personal habit. BTW I use hard tips, never scuff nor pick my tips, just the painting on of chalk and go to work. I like the tan color because I think it blends with the shaftwood better. sid

Bambu
11-08-2011, 10:31 AM
Grinding doesnt accomplish anything, it just happens sometimes. I like to chalk after every shot, so I find painting the chalk on for every shot time consuming, annoying even. I just wanna make sure the stuff is on there. Sometimes it cakes on, so thats bad. But I do clean the balls and table often.