PDA

View Full Version : Top Repub Admits Heal Care Reform Is Dead

Gayle in MD
05-06-2011, 07:02 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <span style='font-size: 11pt'>Health Care Repeal Is 'Dead,' Says Top Republican, Sights Turned To Repealing Individual Mandate </span>

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Dave Camp (R-Mich.), chairman of the powerful House Ways and Means Committee, acknowledged Thursday that Republican plans to repeal President Barack Obama’s signature health care law were “dead.” Instead, Camp predicted, the GOP would turn its focus to overturning the most controversial portion of that legislation: the mandate requiring individuals to buy insurance.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>"Obviously, I voted to repeal the bill and you pretty much know where I am on replacement because I put out a bill last year on that," Camp said. "Is the repeal dead? I don’t think the Senate is going to do it, so I guess, yes."</span>
A chief plank of the 2010 GOP platform was to wipe the Affordable Care Act from the books and replace it with something else. The latter promise has long since dissipated. But Republican leadership still held on to the former -- attempting to attach repeal language, most recently, to the continuing resolution to fund the federal government.

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Camp also threw a bit of cold water on the Medicare reforms included in Rep. Paul Ryan’s (R-Wis.) proposed 2012 budget. He said that legislation to turn Medicare into a voucher system would likely not get a hearing in his committee.[/size[size:14pt]]"I'm not really interested in just laying down more markers,” said Camp. "I'd rather have the committee working with the Senate and the president, focusing on savings and reforms that can be signed into law."</span>

"I don’t think we can afford to wait," he added, "I think we needed to make progress now.'

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Camps said he was unmoved by the protests that have erupted over Ryan's Medicare proposal at recent constituent town halls. “We have stepped forward pretty boldly on this issue,” he said, adding that he did not regret voting for the budget when it came to the House floor.

But he also echoed comments made Wednesday night by House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.), who said that in the spirit of deficit and debt reduction, lawmakers would need to first act on areas of agreement. </span>

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>
“I think what [Cantor] might have been referring to is there are some common ground areas in Medicare and those as important to proceed forward [on],” Camp said of an interview with the Washington Post that Cantor was later forced to clarify. “I think, maybe, that is part of what he was trying to say.”</span>http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/05/health-care-repeal-dead-republican_n_858015.html </div></div>

pooltchr
05-06-2011, 08:35 AM
And this is news? The Dems still have the majority in the Senate. Of course, the will block any attempt by the house to kill "party of no".

Steve

Gayle in MD
05-07-2011, 02:34 AM
It's your party who thought it newsworthy enough to make an announcement about it.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif
Do you have to follow every one of my posts with a snarky comment.

What sort of pleasure comes from that?

wolfdancer
05-07-2011, 03:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have to follow every one of my posts with a snarky comment. </div></div>
It does seem rather an odd thing for someone who graduated from a Military Academy,.... and who is now a retired business executive.
It doesn't seem to fit, the image I would have of such a person as that

LWW
05-07-2011, 03:27 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have to follow every one of my posts with a snarky comment. </div></div>
It does seem rather an odd thing for someone who graduated from a Military Academy,.... and who is now a retired business executive.
It doesn't seem to fit, the image I would have of such a person as that </div></div>

And yet another precious hypocrisy.

Gayle in MD
05-07-2011, 07:53 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wolfdancer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have to follow every one of my posts with a snarky comment. </div></div>
It doesn't seem to fit, the image I would have of such a person as that </div></div>

The Announcement was just made on Thursday...By a Republican....my post within 24 hours of it.

Just another pointless snark, and not even accurate...

Sev
05-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Defunding will cause so much more chaos.