PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected Guts Found in Shattered Aramith Cueball

SpiderMan
05-06-2011, 12:39 PM
A power break at a local 8-ball tournament sent pieces of the Aramith cueball flying, and guess what ... we found a 13-ball hiding inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3wp6xC3oQ

You can clearly see the different layers (darker magnetic material covered by white outer shell) that are applied over the old ball used as the center "form".

I wonder if all Aramith cueballs are made this way, if this was an early prototype, or if maybe it was a cheap Chinese copy. I do remember the first year these balls were used in Valley tables at the national tournament in 'Vegas - there were numerous complaints about inconsistencies in roll, and it makes me wonder if this construction technique deserves the blame.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
05-06-2011, 01:42 PM
That is odd for sure. Do you still have access to that ball to measure the OD? Logic says that the shell overlay would make that ball quite taller than intended, i.e. a true factory ball.

Very interesting. sid

cushioncrawler
05-06-2011, 05:06 PM
All krappamith are all made like that all the time, ie layered, ie with a shell, ie with an overlay.
U make a bakelite ball and cover it with vitreous. Same thing aint it???
Except that koz the outside bit iz the main bit, a krapp iz really (az i allways say) a vitreous ball with a bakelite center.

And, if it iz a cheap chineze copy, then it iz a cheap copy of a cheap krappamith. Praps the chineze copy iz better.
mac.

pooltchr
05-06-2011, 05:33 PM
There is definitely something wrong here. The white coating looks to be quite thick, which would make the cue ball huge, if indeed, it were over a standard size ball. The finish on the white doesn't seem to be polished anywhere near as much as the 13 ball. Just look at the glare or lack thereof as the ball is turned.

I suspect this may be some kind of a joke.

Steve

Sid_Vicious
05-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Wouldn't you agree that the result of the shelled ball would make it both bigger and heavier than balls from a stock set of balls? sid

Fran Crimi
05-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Wow. That's fascinating. I never would have guessed.

Sid_Vicious
05-06-2011, 09:52 PM
Spiderman,,,borrow my digital scales if you don't own a pair yourself, and see if you can take a survey of those CBs when you play in there local tournaments. It would be interesting to see if there are a group of them floating around in the Dallas area. Those people at the bar box tournaments most all carry the same type cougar cue ball. I bet they won't mind a quick weighing and/or time for putting a pair of dial calipers to gauge the sizes. "Genuine" Valley balls and valid American made Valleys should be standard weight and size, and as we both know, many of these local, personal Cougar balls players carry basically come from local LDs and the such for the most part. Too bad we don't have access to an X-ray machine. ;-) sid

LWW
05-07-2011, 05:20 AM
I suspect trickery.

pooltchr
05-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Or is it thickery???

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Steve

Rich R.
05-08-2011, 06:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A power break at a local 8-ball tournament sent pieces of the Aramith cueball flying, and guess what ... we found a 13-ball hiding inside.
</div></div>
No wonder I have such bad luck when I break. It's that damn 13 ball inside.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

Deeman3
05-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Marty,

What global conspiracy have you unmasked now! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Fran Crimi
05-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Uh oh. I hope this isn't a joke. I forwarded it to a few people thinking it was real.

LWW
05-09-2011, 04:26 AM
I X-rayed my entire set.

Inside the 8, 9 and 10 balls I found pocket avoidance sonar devices.

Inside the 11 and 12 balls I found the 14 and 15 balls.

Inside the 13 ball I found a cue ball.

Inside the 1, 3, 5 and 7 balls I found bits of the the remains of Jimmy Hoffa, Elvis Presley, Adolf Hitler and Judge Crada.

Inside the 2, 4 and 6 balls I found the keys to Hanger 18, the plans for a 250 MPG carburetor that was hidden by the oil companies and the names of who really shot JFK.

I am currently entertaining offers for the entire set.

cushioncrawler
05-09-2011, 06:32 AM
Do u want to swap for my OJ Simpson ball????
mac.

Deeman3
05-09-2011, 08:46 AM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

SpiderMan
05-09-2011, 09:53 AM
Steve,

It was a two-level coating - a layer of darker material, which I suspect to be the means to achieve the magnetic properties, covered by the white outer layer.

We did test the ball and find it was attracted to a strong magnet that I happened to have in my truck. Plus, it had been working just fine in the Valley return mechanism.

The ball was not noticeably oversize - it seemed to match the other balls in the bar box. This would imply that either the core 13-ball was from a smaller set, or it had been slightly ground down in the manufacturing process. This might also help adhesion of the outer layers. We didn't have any means to weigh it.

It was probaby polished on the outside when new, but this particular ball had a few miles on it. However, it looked better than most bar-table cueballs (until it broke).

SpiderMan

05-09-2011, 10:25 AM
That is too freaky.

I wonder if that is normal for Aramith. I'm guessing that the CB was teh "Aramith bar table magnetic" cueball?

Eric

SpiderMan
05-09-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm tempted, just because I was able to read the offer without a translator /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
05-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Not if the core ball was smaller. I'm assuming that's how it was done. Even if it had to be ground/polished down to accomodate the coating, which really wasn't very thick.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
05-09-2011, 10:29 AM
No joke. I didn't make it up, and I took the video myself. That's my hand in the picture.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
05-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Where do you get smaller numbered balls like that, without buying the sets they make for snooker tables? If it had been ground down, wouldn't the stenciling of the 13 and stripe been washed away? That ball would have needed to have been measured with an instrument for size and weight IMO. sid

Deeman3
05-09-2011, 11:51 AM
Sid, No, the numbers and stripes have some depth in the casting and not painted on! I used to make ferrels out of old balls on a lathe and you'd be surprised at the designs that "turn out"!

Sid_Vicious
05-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Thanks. I don't remember seeing any faded numbers now that I think about it, just the red circles going away in time. It'd be interesting to see how those numbered balls are processed. sid

SpiderMan
05-09-2011, 02:12 PM
Sets do vary in size, and the cheap plastic balls that come with "toy" home tables are often smaller.

But, as Deeman says, I don't think you'd lose the numbers if you ground off the surface - they're probably cast in. And you recently posted that some balls in your set had "worn down" and were substantially smaller - did they lose any of their features in the process?

SpiderMan

Qtec
05-24-2011, 05:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">maybe it was a cheap Chinese copy. </div></div>

Gets my vote.

Qtec

SpiderMan
05-25-2011, 02:55 PM
Maybe someone else will volunteer to bust another aramith cueball open .....

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
05-25-2011, 04:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sets do vary in size, and the cheap plastic balls that come with "toy" home tables are often smaller.

But, as Deeman says, I don't think you'd lose the numbers if you ground off the surface - they're probably cast in. And you recently posted that some balls in your set had "worn down" and were substantially smaller - did they lose any of their features in the process?

SpiderMan </div></div>

No, but we're only talking about very slight reductions in worn balls from a set. That 13-ball would really have to have been reduced a lot in comparison to accomodate the addition of the white shell, plus that magnetic layer in addition. We really need that "odd-ball" Cougar to do forensics on. Sumptin is still way off here with this event, and just maybe it was a hoax and you were the victim. sid

SpiderMan
05-27-2011, 03:18 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sets do vary in size, and the cheap plastic balls that come with "toy" home tables are often smaller.

SpiderMan </div></div>

No, but we're only talking about very slight reductions in worn balls from a set. That 13-ball would really have to have been reduced a lot in comparison to accomodate the addition of the white shell, plus that magnetic layer in addition. We really need that "odd-ball" Cougar to do forensics on. Sumptin is still way off here with this event, and just maybe it was a hoax and you were the victim. sid </div></div>

Since the numbers and circles/stripes are cast in, I wouldn't expect anything to "go away" even if you ground 0.030" off the surface of a typical ball.

BTW, I just called another guy who was present at Lone Star the night I took that video. He didn't remember who the owner of that particular ball was either, but didn't seem surprised or concerned. He actually said that was the "third or fourth" such splintered aramith he'd seen, all with another ball inside, so I guess it's fairly common.

I paid $20 for mine, so I'll wait for it to break naturally.

SpiderMan

Sid_Vicious
05-27-2011, 09:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid_Vicious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sets do vary in size, and the cheap plastic balls that come with "toy" home tables are often smaller.

SpiderMan </div></div>

No, but we're only talking about very slight reductions in worn balls from a set. That 13-ball would really have to have been reduced a lot in comparison to accomodate the addition of the white shell, plus that magnetic layer in addition. We really need that "odd-ball" Cougar to do forensics on. Sumptin is still way off here with this event, and just maybe it was a hoax and you were the victim. sid </div></div>

Since the numbers and circles/stripes are cast in, I wouldn't expect anything to "go away" even if you ground 0.030" off the surface of a typical ball.

BTW, I just called another guy who was present at Lone Star the night I took that video. He didn't remember who the owner of that particular ball was either, but didn't seem surprised or concerned. He actually said that was the "third or fourth" such splintered aramith he'd seen, all with another ball inside, so I guess it's fairly common.

I paid $20 for mine, so I'll wait for it to break naturally.

SpiderMan </div></div>

0.030" might cover the white shell on that chipped ball, and I say "might" very generously. I seriously doubt very much that it did though...more like 0.3"+ and not 0.03. It is weird though that we are getting news of not just this one, but more than enough extra reports, to not be justified in calling this one event as an uncommon deal. Think about it. Nobody has joined in here to say that they ever seen such a thing as this with a Cougar ball. You'd think that RandyG would have surely seen and/or heard of this thing in all of his tenure on the bar boxes. R U sure of your source?

No, this isn't common in the least. It just ain't. Does it matter much???, no. Playing on bar boxes has little appeal now-a-days for most "graduating students of the game of billiards" anyway. A 7-footer makes for a good venue in a huge tournament, but 8s and 9s are the real deal. jm2c sid

PoolFool
05-29-2011, 09:19 AM
The rumor mill is up and running. At Wizards on 75 yesterday, I was told that the new, approved cue ball of VNEA and BCA was the Aramith with the center made from another ball. And, if I didn't have one , my old Aramith could not be used in league play.

PoolFool

Sid_Vicious
05-30-2011, 05:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PoolFool</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rumor mill is up and running. At Wizards on 75 yesterday, I was told that the new, approved cue ball of VNEA and BCA was the Aramith with the center made from another ball. And, if I didn't have one , my old Aramith could not be used in league play.

PoolFool </div></div>

How you been Carl? sid

PoolFool
06-05-2011, 12:54 PM
Ok. Still working. I play 3-4 hours a week. A long way from 20 -25 hours 12-15 years ago. I havn't played league since Rex Boone died. Come by Wizards some Sat. afternoon if you are in the area.

PoolFool

Sid_Vicious
06-07-2011, 03:23 PM
What time you usually there on Saturdays? sid

PoolFool
06-11-2011, 05:54 PM
About 1:30 - 5:00. However the last two weeks they had tournaments there so we had to "adjust". We should be back at Wizards next week.

PoolFool