PDA

View Full Version : GO-GO-GO GO JOHNNY GO ...

LWW
05-10-2011, 08:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NEW YORK — Speaker John Boehner came here Monday to lend a peek to a worried Wall Street and a concerned Washington as to where he stands as the nation rapidly approaches its statutory debt ceiling.

What they heard was that he feels no urgency.

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>The Ohio Republican used a speech to the Economic Club of New York to unveil a staunchly conservative plan to offset a debt ceiling hike with spending cuts of a greater amount, putting House Republicans on a collision course with Democrats who want much more modest spending restrictions attached to the vote.

He also told a packed, well-dressed ballroom at the Hilton New York that the debt limit has no “hard date” — a sign he does not take seriously the Democrats’ dire warnings of default in a few months.</span> ...

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>“Without significant spending cuts and reforms to reduce our debt, there will be no debt limit increase,”</span> Boehner said. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>“And the cuts should be greater than the accompanying increase in debt authority the president is given. We should be talking about cuts of trillions, not just billions.”</span> ...

But by mentioning “trillions” in long-term cuts, <span style='font-size: 11pt'>Boehner is clearly putting entitlement reform in play — including Medicare — since it would be nearly impossible to cut trillions without affecting entitlement spending. He also said defense spending, the needs a “fundamental review” because the department “does not spend their 600-plus billion dollars every year as efficiently as you would spend your money or I would spend mine,”</span> Boehner told Peterson in the question-and-answer portion. ...

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>“To increase the debt limit without simultaneously addressing the drivers of our debt — in defiance of the will of our people — would be monumentally arrogant and massively irresponsible,”</span> Boehner said, brushing back on Democrats who are calling for a clean vote. <span style='font-size: 11pt'>“It would send a signal to investors and entrepreneurs everywhere that America still is not serious about dealing with our spending addiction. It would erode confidence in our economy and reduce certainty for small businesses. And this would destroy even more American jobs.”</span> ...

As Boehner makes his pitch on the debt limit, Vice President Joseph R. Biden is hosting deficit talks at the White House this month, but no one is truly sure if <span style='font-size: 11pt'>the panel is a sideshow</span> or the main stage for debt ceiling increase legislation. Boehner and Obama are widely expected to cut the final deal.

In a sign of fresh involvement, the White House announced Obama would meet with Senate Democrats and Senate Republicans this week, followed by House lawmakers in the coming weeks. </div></div>

FINALLY (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0511/54604_Page3.html#ixzz1LxSH0xXw) some adult talk in DC.

llotter
05-10-2011, 08:17 AM
not good enough... johnny is a loser. the cuts are over 10yrs and the increase is only a year or two. Until those pols start dismantling the Nanny state, including entitlements, all is lost.

I don't want to hear about saving or reforming medicare and social security when they must be ended.

I just heard that welfare and transfers are now more that the total receipts and none of them are constitutional and all should be ended.

nothing would stimulate our economy more or faster than a clear plan to cut the government to the enumerated powers. and if we are going to compete in the world and stay above the world's standard of living, freedom is the proven formula.

llotter
05-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Johnny is part of the problem. He has been voting for big government for his whole career, including the prescription drug extension to medicare and 'no child left behind'. I bet his term in office will rightfully end next year.

llotter
05-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Johnny has no idea of what to do other than search for a sound bite that will fool people into thinking he is something other than the go-along-to-get-along Republican that he is. He is not a conservative and has no understanding of the constitutional limits of our government. remember that raw deal he negotiated on the 2011 budget? Better elect a wolf than a wolf in sheep's clothing like the current Speaker.

llotter
05-10-2011, 08:47 AM
And did I mention that you can't believe a word out of his mouth.

Sev
05-10-2011, 08:25 PM
We need to eviscerate the government.