PDA

View Full Version : Update on kids

eg8r
05-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Well another school year is coming to an end and I cannot believe how fast time is flying by. I know in this day and age it is best to not talk about personal matters on the internet, especially this board, but I cannot brag enough about them.

My daughter Haleigh is 6 and my son Eddie is 4. Haleigh is finishing 1st grade on the A/B honor roll and I am very proud of her. She is the youngest in her class but she is keeping up just fine. About the only real weakness we see at this point is speed in arithmetic. That has improved greatly over the past few months. Her reading is amazing. I just sit there an laugh when she is reading every sign on the road. My mother reminds me about karma every time I mention it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Eddie is a wild man. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif He started a bit slower than my daughter in catching on to things but he soaks everything up like a sponge. He has started the beginnings of reading, putting together two letter blends and reading three letter words and he has addition down pat. I cannot believe it when my 4 year blurts out the answers to simple addition problems.

Both kids do their best every day to wear me out though. They are both finally on two wheels so bike riding is a near must every night. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif How awesome is it to get some exercise in while having fun with the joys of my life.

Heather and I have been very blessed up to this point. We are celebrating our 10th anniversary this year and I am very excited.

I hope in the light of all the negativity here on the board you don't mind me talking about my family. I have the best kids on the plant and the most understanding wife of all time. I could not put up with myself but she is a strong woman.

eg8r

pooltchr
05-11-2011, 05:44 AM
You are correct, when it comes to kids, the time just zips by. We had one graduate from ECU this past weekend...I almost didn't even know he was old enough!!!!
BTW...no college loans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

eg8r
05-11-2011, 07:06 AM
LOL that is awesome. No college loans is the way to go. Congrats.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
05-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Ed,

Kudos!!!!

In spite of our occasional spats, over politics, I always knew, you were devoted to your children, and your wife, and had honorable values.

I know you're taking lots of pictures, and you can't take too many. They grow up so fast, and before you know it, you'll be getting that greatest bonus of all, for all of your devotion to them, as you watch your children, give to your grandchildren, all of the love, attention, and high standards which you are now giving to them.

I've always said, family comes first, and I, too, have had the grand, great luck, to live my life with a fine man, who felt the same way, and BTW, we're now married for well over forty-eight years, and I love him more with every year that passes.

I had a great Dad, and thanks for this post, because you reminded me of a special memory of my own, about my Dad.

One Christmas morning, when I got my first bike, he said, "OK, lets get this thing outside so I can teach you how to ride it."

It didn't have any training wheels, and I remember him saying, "I'm not going to let you fall, I'm right here, as he was running behind me, holding the back of the seat, while I peddeled, up and down the sidewalk, for a good half hour, it seemed, until he thought I was ready to take a go, on my own...saying, "you can do this on your own, now!" saying, "See, I'm not even holding on to you now"......so off I went, solo, with him yelling all the while, "You can do it! You can do it!"

He was so proud, when I made it to the end of the street, alone, as he yelled out those words, "You can do it! You can do it, on your own..." the same words he repeated so often, to me, throughout my life, about every challenge, and every goal, I faced, or set for myself, or that he ever, set for me.

I miss him so much.

I have been so lucky, to have had a great Dad, he was such a good man, and then a wonderful man, with whom to live my life, my husband, and our daughter, she's such a great mother, and such a fine, home-maker, an accomplished woman, who made our family so rich, with a Son-in Law, that Jim and I truly love, like a son, and who loves our lovely daughter, and beautiful little grandaughter, just as much as we do.

As well, our "sons" as you might recall, Jim's younger brothers, we call them our sons, because we raised them when they lost their own Mother, they were only four, six and eight, when she was killed in a tragic accident, and although we lost the youngest of the three, and we'll never get over his loss, he was forty-seven, and we lost him to cancer, but thankfully, the other two, are both doing well, and in business for themselves.

WE are truly blessed.

I really enjoyed your post, so here is a story, I think you might enjoy....

My daughter gives me two cards, every Mother's Day, one that is hilarious, and another, always so beautiful, that it always makes my cry.

This year, the funny card, had a big hole in the front page, three and a half inches in diameter, that was filled with a campaign style, tin pin, showing through, pinned to the back page, inside, that said..."ME! ME! ME! It's All About MEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!and when you opened it up, to the inside page, under the big Me Me Me pin, it said....

"You can borrow this for today, if you want, Mom, but I'd really like to have it back tomorrow! Happy Mother's Day!"

First time the funny card, made me laugh AND cry. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Thanks again, for this great post, and all the best to you and yours.

Love,
Gayle

Deeman3
05-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Nice post Buddy! Glad mine are grown and don't have to pay for al that stuff again! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

eg8r
05-11-2011, 10:53 AM
LOL, great stories. Funny Mother's Day card. My daughter was all gung ho this year for Mother's Day, talking about what we were going to do, how I had to do everything and mommy did not have to do anything. Well when we went shopping on Saturday she was having a blast looking for a dress and some jewelry. When we got home she was excited to go hide it and let Heather know we got her a present. About 20 minutes later I told her to get ready because we had one more place to go shopping and she gave me this tired look and groaned. She waited for my wife to leave and she told me, "I don't want to go. I am tired of Mother's Day already". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I cracked up. Lots of heart but the stamina just is not there yet.

Both kids were absolute charms on Mother's Day though. They woke us up with the gifts and they each made their own cards for their mother.

Wow, married for over 48 years. Incredible. I pray with all my heart that I spend the next 50 years with my wife. I could not have asked for a better match. She is perfect in every way.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
05-12-2011, 08:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">LOL, great stories. Funny Mother's Day card. My daughter was all gung ho this year for Mother's Day, talking about what we were going to do, how I had to do everything and mommy did not have to do anything. Well when we went shopping on Saturday she was having a blast looking for a dress and some jewelry. When we got home she was excited to go hide it and let Heather know we got her a present. About 20 minutes later I told her to get ready because we had one more place to go shopping and she gave me this tired look and groaned. She waited for my wife to leave and she told me, "I don't want to go. I am tired of Mother's Day already". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif I cracked up. Lots of heart but the stamina just is not there yet.

Both kids were absolute charms on Mother's Day though. They woke us up with the gifts and they each made their own cards for their mother.

Wow, married for over 48 years. Incredible. I pray with all my heart that I spend the next 50 years with my wife. I could not have asked for a better match. She is perfect in every way.

eg8r </div></div>

LOVE IT! Another great post! And, I know you'll make it to fifty years, Ed, because that is your vision and what you have in your heart.

Here's a poem for you:

<u>Mother's Day Breakfast in Bed </u>

She came in my room, and jumped on the bed...

"Daddy told me you were sick!" She said...

"Now mother, don't worry 'bout things you must do,

I will stay in all day, and take care of you."

Then, back with my apron, hiked under her arms,

She dusted my room, and showed off her charms,

She wouldn't give up, till she made me chuckle,

Then she brought me a vase, filled with honeysuckle.

The next thing I knew, she was out in the kitchen,

I couldn't imagine, what she could be fixin'...

Such thundering and plundering, you've never heard,

But I stayed there in bed, and did not say a word.

Soon, all I could see, coming down the hall, was my big silver Tray...

And my Lassie, so small...

She turned back my quilt, and served me, in bed...

"It wasn't a bit of trouble!" she said.

The toast was burned black, and the coffee, soooo strong,

And she sat there and watched, till it was all gone.

If I say so myself, she is quite a girl,

And to me, it was the grandest meal in the world.

Love,
Gayle

Deeman3
05-12-2011, 07:54 PM
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

wolfdancer
05-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Gayle, that was a great story...and hope this doesn't put a damper on that....but the "jumping into bed" reminded me of my Mom's passing. She was very ill and in pain, the pain pills no longer having much of an effect. My sister lay down in bed with her, and held her, telling my Mom that it was ok to let go; that the family would be fine...and my Mom opened her eyes one last time, couldn't speak, but my Sister could tell that she understood, and she passed on in that last moment, peacefully.
I can't think of a greater act of love, then what my sister did....
Miss you greatly, Mom....and I know that you are in Heaven.

Deeman3
05-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Jack,

That is sad but inspiring! I have heard often of people on their deathbed waiting for "permission" to leave or even holding out until loved husband, son or other was there. Hospice care nurses say they see this often as if the person finds peace with their loved ones presence and can "leave" in peace.

Thanks for sharing that.