PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Remember Renee Richards?

03-01-2002, 05:51 PM
I know there is a 'female' player on the west coast that was not born a woman. She plays in both the APA and BCA and also on the SO.Ca. REgional tour. A good player she is a full transexual and 'legally' a woman.
I also know she had to sue the APA for her right to play in their singles event. She is the main reason they changed the format from seperate Men's and Women's tournaments to a division by handicapps.
I have debated with my friend over her 'right' to play on the tour if this should ever come up. I do not believe she had a sex change just so she could play in the WPBA. I do understand that she is good enough and it could happen. I believe she has been through a lot in her life and deserves her spot if she earns it.
I do remember a Dr. Renee Richards in the 70's who competed on the Pro Tennis circut. In many sports you must "play as what you were born" but in our sport does it really make a difference? I have heard that 'she' is not the only one, that there is another possible such player on the east coast ....any thoughts? Does it matter in this day in age, and is it fair?

Tom_In_Cincy
03-01-2002, 09:59 PM
Didn't she also author a book titled "How to play tennis with no balls"?

cuechick
03-03-2002, 12:00 PM
I know of this player,I think the only advantage this player might have other than a great break
( I saw 'her' at the BCA and she is unmistakably a transexual. about 6'1" and a HUGE break) is her earlier access to a sport that most women were not privey too. I did have a few friends that came up against her in the APA singles. She won the whole thing I think, competing as a 7. I felt it was fair since it was a handicapped event and she had earned her right to compete. Though I know my friends who are women and lost to her felt a little 'cheated'.She competed (and won) theWomen's Seniors (you go 'girl') so she has been around a while and through quite a lot!!
I'm not clear on the issue though, I don't know if the WPBA is set u to deal with it, it might bring some publicity to the sport if it ever did happen.Though it may not ne positive...
It certainly opens a new can of worms.
I seem to recall a story in a Byrne book (maybe) about a man who traveled the country in drag, making money in exhibitions. As far as there being any other transexuals trying to get on the tour, I am sure it is possible, I have heard rumors but I feel it is no ones buisness but there. As long as they are 'legally' a women(In other words they are not just dressing as one but have the complete equipment) it is fine with me.

03-04-2002, 02:04 PM
You said it best..her break is HUGE! I believe that is what separates the best men in the world from the best female players in the world...the break. So if you are born a man but change your sex to a woman, you still are a man (IMHO). So is it fair when he/she plays in a women's tournament?

QS

Tom_In_Cincy
03-05-2002, 04:33 PM
With the introduction of the Sardo Rack at the WPBA events, soft breaks are now within the equality range. The women and the men can and should exploit this "soft break"

Why aren't the women as good at making a consistant "soft break" like the men are?