PDA

View Full Version : Behind the line?

KalboKev
05-12-2011, 09:28 AM
The archaic way of administrating a "foul". Does any serious pool player play with those rules? You foul, you get punished. Best I've been able to determine, it was spawned from coin-op tables in the USA??? "Behind the line" One can sometimes deliberately foul to create an advantage. It's back door.

It's amazing how many "tourist" come here to the "abundance" of "girlie" bars and insist on playing by "their" rules. What about House Rules? Most Pinoy's have a pretty "decent" understanding of international rules. WPA/BCA, and that's the norm here. It rubs my ass the wrong way.

pooltchr
05-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Bar rules...rarely used by serious players. If you run into someone who wants to play by those rules, it should be pretty easy pickings.

Steve

JJFSTAR
05-12-2011, 10:31 AM
“Bar rules” are the best rules. There is nothing better than someone who insists on playing by them. After a very short period their racking skill dramatically improves. Most of the time it results in a monetary gain for me or at the very least alleviates the necessity of buying my own drinks and sometimes for my friends as well. I look at it as a win win situation. And who could possibly get anything but delighted about that?

pooltchr
05-12-2011, 10:37 AM
My point, exactly!

Steve

Tony_in_MD
05-13-2011, 04:35 AM
Not always. Here is a quick story of an 8 ball game in a tourney I was playing in a few years ago. Bar rules, had 3 balls left in the kitchen. All of my opponents balls were up table. He had a tough shot up table to make, if he misses he sells out. He intentionally scratches. I get cue ball behind the line, (no spotting of balls so I have to kick at mine down table. We played this out 3 times in a row, until I finally left the cue ball in a position he liked.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bar rules...rarely used by serious players. If you run into someone who wants to play by those rules, it should be pretty easy pickings.

Steve </div></div>

pooltchr
05-13-2011, 05:58 AM
Rule of thumb when playing bar rules....try to clear the kitchen early!

Steve

KalboKev
05-13-2011, 06:23 AM
I agree, bar rules are crazy. I don't play pool in a "Girlie", bar, just watch. Too many "distractions". There are bigger fish to fry. That's not "what" I'm there for. Making dollars--spending Peso's. It's called "Pesonality". Who doesn't "love" someone with "Pesonality"? It's universally charming.
It's not a serious environment. I still observe though. Just as I've said before, I wouldn't even consider playing someone that smokes at the table... Don't care who it is.

nAz
05-17-2011, 06:53 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KalboKev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
It's not a serious environment. I still observe though. Just as I've said before, I wouldn't even consider playing someone that smokes at the table... Don't care who it is. </div></div>

No smoking in NYC bars or poolhalls for that matter.
Bars are generally not a serious environment for pool players
unless your talking bar leagues like BCA/APA, they take it serious.
myself when i want to drink for free i usually go to some of the local bars in downtown Brooklyn always find someone there willing to play for drinks, drink prices in NYC somewhere around $7 - $10. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Rich R.
05-18-2011, 07:37 AM
Hi nAz.
I haven't seen your name on the forum for a while. It's nice to see you drop in. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

nAz
05-18-2011, 03:31 PM
yeah Rich been awhile, how you been hitting them?

Rich R.
05-18-2011, 11:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nAz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah Rich been awhile, how you been hitting them? </div></div>
I've been hitting them hot and cold. That is why they call me an amateur. I just keep hitting them. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I hope you are well.

pipat3
05-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Thank you ^^

Deeman3
05-20-2011, 07:58 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KalboKev</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The archaic way of administrating a "foul". Does any serious pool player play with those rules? You foul, you get punished. Best I've been able to determine, it was spawned from coin-op tables in the USA??? "Behind the line" One can sometimes deliberately foul to create an advantage. It's back door.

It's amazing how many "tourist" come here to the "abundance" of "girlie" bars and insist on playing by "their" rules. What about House Rules? Most Pinoy's have a pretty "decent" understanding of international rules. WPA/BCA, and that's the norm here. It rubs my ass the wrong way. </div></div>

I always play in strange bars not having a "home" place. My stance, your house, your rules! Just ask/tell about the different rules before gambling! :).