PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina

KalboKev
05-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Particularly Charlotte seems to be the hub of Pro's in the USA? It seems that a large percentage of former British Snooker players settle there? Men and Women. I know it's absolutely beautiful countryside, southern hospitality, comparably affordable...etc... One my best friends is from Boone, Appalachian State. Tobacco Row ain't bad either? Sports wise. I'm an Okie, Aside from the aforementioned "negatives". I don't "get it".

pooltchr
05-13-2011, 07:24 AM
Ewa lived in Charlotte for many years. Allison settled here when she first came to the country. When a couple of others made the move to the US, they probably decided that having someone they knew in the area might be beneficial.

Sterling Gaming, the distributor for Fury cues is also located in the Charlotte area. Fury sponsored several pros over the years, including Kelly Fisher, Val Finney, Rodney, Max, and quite a few others. Some of them settled here because of the close proximity to their sponsor.

Charlotte is also a major airline hub, so it is reletively easy to get in and out of town when traveling to the different tournaments.

Steve

Soflasnapper
06-15-2011, 04:05 PM
My worry about N. Carolina is the hurricanes, and I say that as a resident of So Florida!

Are there inland areas that miss these, or are the main cities on the coastal area where they get hit?

It seems of all that have missed us over the years, some surprising percentage go up and smack N. Carolina.

Fran Crimi
06-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Pool players don't worry about things like mother nature. We play through. Here are a few things that happend to us at WPBA tour stops:

--- Earthquake in San Francisco during a tournament. I thought I had too much wine. Then I realized what was happening.
--- Hurricane Fran hit while we were in Charlotte. (I was proud of that one:))
--- Somewhere (I forgot what state) a bat got into the arena and was dive-bombing the players.
---- In Illinois we had 2 tornados --- where each time we were ushered into a concrete room.
--- We had a sandstorm in Vegas that knocked down signs and street lights. I was just pulling into the hotel lot when it hit, and after the walk from the car to the hotel (completely blind) there was enough sand in my clothes to fill a sandbox. My skin was sandblasted. Great exfoliator, that sand.
---- Huge snow storm in Saginaw Michigan. Players were snowed in for days.

And that's just a few....

pooltchr
06-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Snap...Charlotte is about 200 miles inland...hurricanes are generally not an issue for us. Down on the coast it's another story.

Steve

Sid_Vicious
06-18-2011, 03:05 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran Crimi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pool players don't worry about things like mother nature. We play through. Here are a few things that happend to us at WPBA tour stops:

--- Earthquake in San Francisco during a tournament. I thought I had too much wine. Then I realized what was happening.
--- Hurricane Fran hit while we were in Charlotte. (I was proud of that one:))
--- Somewhere (I forgot what state) a bat got into the arena and was dive-bombing the players.
---- In Illinois we had 2 tornados --- where each time we were ushered into a concrete room.
--- We had a sandstorm in Vegas that knocked down signs and street lights. I was just pulling into the hotel lot when it hit, and after the walk from the car to the hotel (completely blind) there was enough sand in my clothes to fill a sandbox. My skin was sandblasted. Great exfoliator, that sand.
---- Huge snow storm in Saginaw Michigan. Players were snowed in for days.

And that's just a few....

</div></div>

How about that refrigerator rolling down the road Fran? As far as the bad weather while in the PH???, well if we get trapped in there, the bar is fairly well stocked already, those tables are great to duck under in case of flying debris, AND!, I can personally shoot pool in dim-to-no light in case the power is out. Beats the hell out of being marooned at home ;-) sid