PDA

View Full Version : Combination sickness

JJFSTAR
05-23-2011, 03:36 PM
So I have come to realize that combos are a weakness in my game. Like most weaknesses I think I should just drill; I haven’t been able to find one easily. So does anyone have anything to start off with so I don’t have to come up with one from scratch?

The reason that I am going to take out a little time, say add a 10-12min “combo drill” to my practice routine is that for my skill level I am extraordinarily bad at them. I routinely miss some “gimmie” combinations and just working backwards from the OB for some odd reason doesn’t work for me. I do just as well just walking up to the cb (I will just call this the combo ball for this thread; in lower case, so its not confused with CB cue ball) and just using my eye and giving it a shot.

For some reason this weakness doesn’t spill over into my carom ability; my carom ability is quite strong. Could there be any way to use this to “eye it up” better? I also welcome any “tips or tricks” that any player might have no matter how silly they might sound.

Thanks everyone

Rich R.
05-24-2011, 07:02 AM
I'd like to help but I think I suffer from the same "sickness".

JJFSTAR
05-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Yes I was positive I was not alone. My solution to the problem has been avoidance; but no matter how you slice it it is going to come up. The problem is that from the guys I have talked to that are much better than me at these types of shots is that none of them can tell me squat about how they do it!

Fran Crimi
05-24-2011, 01:59 PM
One of the best combination players I'd ever seen was Loree Jon. Years ago I asked her how she did it and she said she keeps looking at it until it feels right. I think I know what she means. Combos take a lot of concentration and it's best to take a little extra time to eye up the shot. So, depending on the difficulty of the shot and the player, some shots you see right away and others will require more time. The key is not to give up until it feels right. If you shoot it half-heartedly, you'll most likely miss.

I find with myself that I'll miss a combination when I don't give it the intensity that it reqires.

One trick somebody (I forgot who) showed me was to line up the shot dead straight and then make an adjustment from there. I do that sometimes when I just can't see the shot, no matter how long I look at it.

I haven't heard of combination drills, other than to throw out the balls and shoot combinations.

JJFSTAR
05-25-2011, 06:35 AM
Ok I can try that thanks Fran

cushioncrawler
05-25-2011, 05:59 PM
I sometimes praktis plants and sets.
A plant iz where 2 objektballs are touching or allmost & u hit the 1st into the 2nd to pot the 1st.
With theze the line the 1st takes (after it hits the 2nd) iz allmost automatik. But u kan make the 1st ball take a slightly different line (after it hits the 2nd) if u uze top on the qball, or skrew.
Sometimes the difference in the angle (for the 1st ball) kan be az much az 6 ball widths at the pkt.

Sets. When u are trying to pot the the 2nd ball u havta of course take into account throw. Here i meen that the 2nd ball uzually wont go along the line of centers, ie koz of ball'to'ball friktion. But u kan vary the 2nd ball's angle by how u kontakt the 1st ball, and especially by the english (left or right) or skrew (or top) that u might uze.

But everyone knows that stuff. But praps not everyone knows about that top and skrew stuff that i mentioned in relation to the trajektory of the 1st ball.

But i am guessing that your combo problems hav got nothing to do with the above.
mac.

JJFSTAR
06-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Thanks Fran that really helped, the lining up strait and going from there is great. Of course anything would have helped.

Fran Crimi
06-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Great. Glad to hear it helped. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Soflasnapper
06-15-2011, 12:46 PM
I would suggest it has to do with lack of precise aiming, and/or not keeping a precise aiming at the first object ball (if you actually do get it).

The first is self-explanatory. Many of us use sorta aiming, and it's often close enough to pocket one ball. The combo requires greater accuracy than that. So if you do not use an edge to edge precise aiming in your usual shotmaking (or some other precise method), you may need to switch to that kind of aiming, when attempting combos. (And of course, this would require TWO such aims.)

The second part explanation is that usually, we 'see' the ball going in the hole as part of our visualization on a single-ball shot attempt. But in the combo, the key is where the FIRST ball goes (into the second), and THAT is what needs to be in your mind picture when stroking. Not the make, but the line of the hit into the second ball (I would advise forgetting the end result in your visualization and see if that allows a more effective focus).

A lot of combos look nearly dead on, when they are not. Sometimes I've been very surprised to see the combo requires a very thin hit on the first ball to make the second, even when they are quite close and appeared wired.

Sid_Vicious
06-15-2011, 01:56 PM
I think there is a lot of things going on with the stroke you use on combination shots. Top that off with the slim, off-wired idiosyncrasies on non frozen combos, and you got yourself a mess of reasons people miss these things. I've watched oddly lined up combos hammered in when it made no sense, and I have seen other players do it with pure stroke. IMO, there is a lot of personal "feel" for combination shots. Even dead on hanging balls find a way to be missed is you take them for granted.

Sofasnapper is on target with the comment: "Sometimes I've been very surprised to see the combo requires a very thin hit on the first ball to make the second, even when they are quite close and appeared wired." It takes a good eye to notice those thin-cuts needed, but like I said,,,some players seem to get away with a whammo stroke and make the same ball. Go figure. sid