PDA

View Full Version : Straight Pool

KalboKev
05-26-2011, 07:10 AM
I've only played 8/9/10/rotation/9 ball banks/kicks, as we play locally. The past few days I've been trying to figure it out??? Alot like Snooker? Mostly playing on the bottom half of the table, have to "develop" the rack. Cue ball control and "what shot" to take are very important. At least if you are playing smart? In only 2 days of trying it, makes me slow down and think about exact position on every shot. Makes 9-ball look easy.

nAz
05-26-2011, 08:44 PM
14.1 can be a very humbling game when you are used to playing 9B and 10B. I'm sure learning to play it properly will help improve your skill at other games so stick with it.

Rich R.
05-27-2011, 06:16 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nAz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
14.1 can be a very humbling game when you are used to playing 9B and 10B. I'm sure learning to play it properly will help improve your skill at other games so stick with it.

</div></div>
I couldn't have said it better than nAz.
If you want to improve your pool playing ability, learn to play 14.1.

Fran Crimi
05-27-2011, 06:57 AM
You can't figure out 14.1 in a couple of days. Check back in 5 years.

JJFSTAR
05-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Yeah your first few years of playing 14.1 you are pretty easily out maneuvered. I pride myself in being a great introducer to the game, meaning of pool in general. Imho strait pool and one pocket are more “real pool” if you will; than other games. When you talk about a “good” 14.1 or one pocket player and a “good” 9ball or 8ball player you are generally talking about 2 different classes of player. If I had my way we would revert to a line of thinking that 14.1 is the game. If you’re short on time you can play some one pocket.

My mother told me (national collegiate strait pool champion 1949) that in days gone by that 9ball & 8ball were viewed pretty much in the same light, they were games for people who played every once in a while and not really played a whole lot by serious pool players. Yes there was the gambling group and they mostly played 9ball but that was about the only difference. And the gambling group never said to the triple digit strait runners something like “hey want to come over here and gamble in 9ball?”

I am sure that there will be some here who disagree with this advice but I am going to give it anyway. Here are the 3 top pieces of advice I give to the “new to strait pool” player and they are in this order.

1. Read the rack: There is nothing IMHO that will teach you how to do this better than 14.1. To “get your nose” into that rack and walk around the table when one has to would improve the overall skill of the average player worldwide. There really isn’t anything worse than playing a safety up table and having your opponent just call a cluster shot, have it fire into the pocket and open up a table of a dozen or more balls. Also doing this to your opponent is as exciting (if not more especially if your playing for something) as freefall in skydiving. This will improve your game overall practically overnight not just your strait pool game but other games as well.
2. Learn the safeties: There are many safeties that are specific to 14.1, learn how to stick the CB on all sides of the rack, on the foot spot, on the side 2 or on the back 3. Learn how to hit very thin and send the CB to the head rail and learn how to send the CB back and fourth behind the rack without disturbing it very much and leave it in the center of the table behind the rack or on the side of the rack where the stray balls aren’t. When you can do all that CONSISTANTLY you have a strong beginning for good defensive play.
3. Once the “riddle of the rack” has been solved, work backwards from the break ball for AT LEAST 3 balls: So they tell you to think 3 balls ahead (at a minimum). But don’t forget to work 3 balls behind first. Just like in 8ball you want to identify that ball or 2 that is going to set you up easily for the 8. Once all or most of the secondary breaks have happened you want to do this early. Remember in 14.1 you want a very specific angle on your break ball not just on it like in 8ball. This is less important in 9ball because its chosen for you; it’s the next highest ball on the table.

Well good luck 14.1 I believe is the key to playing great pool, some of this you might have figured out already but hopefully there is something here you can use.

Bambu
05-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Good post JJF. Although personally, I wouldnt lump straight pool play together with one pocket. I have seen too many old timers without much of a game, just alot of veteran 1 pocket moves.

JJFSTAR
05-28-2011, 06:50 AM
I can see from my post how you would think I am lumping the two games as equals especially from the first paragraph. But from these you can see I am not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If I had my way we would revert to a line of thinking that 14.1 is the game. </div></div>

Now it’s true I said right after that “if you’re short on time you can play some one pocket” but I still said “14.1 is the game”. I also said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJFSTAR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 14.1 I believe is the key to playing great pool </div></div>

I just said that without any mention of 1P. My point about 1P is that it is very rich in pool strategy and difficulty. Not that it is on an equal plane with 14.1. I say that they have a similarity in that they are both “kitchen” games and that those games breed better players than “BIH” games.

I have been saying this for many years that among tournament pool players this is (very generally) true nationwide:

“8ball is the most strategically under-rated game played. 9ball is the most strategically over-rated game played. If you really want to learn how to play pool learn how to play 14.1; if you can play it well you can play anything. Except for maybe bank pool and one-pocket, but if you are a good 14.1 player you can learn those games with a snap of a finger also.”

There are always going to be some constants in every pool room with more than a few tables. Here are the fixtures

1. There will always be boatloads of the clueless; men, boys, women and girls who are playing a different game than pool it’s called “make the OB”. Then there is the next step in evolution up from the beginner. You will have boatloads of the clueless that are playing “try and run the table”.
2. You will always have the hot shot 9ball and 8ball players.
3. You will always have the feeble old men who try and get the #2’s to play one pocket and try and out maneuver them.
4. Then you have the good pool player who comes in every once in a while; the strait pool player who is a 50+ ball runner.

I don’t know about most people on this board but the only thing I will play the #4 for is “funzies”. #’s 1-3 its usually not too hard. The tough part is getting #’s 1 & 2 out of 8 or 9ball.

KalboKev
05-28-2011, 07:44 AM
All I know is that straight pool has opened my eyes in a way, I hadn't imagined. It's made me better in every game I play. One pocket is a chess game, so is straight pool. It's like being reunited with a long lost realive. The game is "trying" to teach me discipline. It's my favorite billiards game now. Love a challenge.

Qtec
06-13-2011, 06:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A lot like Snooker? </div></div>

That's what I thought but its not.

Qtec..............too many options.