PDA

View Full Version : Dear leader going down in flames!

LWW
05-26-2011, 12:01 PM
In the US Senate, a legislative body in which his party holds the majority, dear leader's budget scheme went down in defeat by a vote of <span style='font-size: 11pt'>zero yea to ninety seven nay!</span>

Wrap your head around that ... with a clear majority in the US Senate, the sitting POTUS could not get a single, not even <u><span style='font-size: 14pt'>ONE</span></u>, solitary vote for his budget scheme.

OH DEAR! (http://www.politico.com/politico44/perm/0511/_7afd0b1d-fd69-4f0b-9fa9-c5e98b5cb77a.html)

pooltchr
05-26-2011, 12:24 PM
I suspect that over the next several months, more and more dems will be distancing themselves from Obama....The Senators saw what happened to their brothers and sisters in the house when they went along with Barry and Nancy.

Steve

Soflasnapper
05-26-2011, 06:33 PM
They didn't try to get a single vote.

This wasn't a vote on that budget, in any case; it was a motion to proceed.

And it was a snap vote that wasn't whipped, in return for Reid's forcing the vote on proceeding on the Ryan budget.

Pure politics, and without meaning, except that all R senators who voted to proceed on the Ryan budget will have that vote featured in attack ads that appear to have great potential impact down the road.

Will the GOP be able to feature the Dems no votes in ads? Well, they're creative propagandists, so it cannot be ruled out, but I'd say no.

Soflasnapper
05-26-2011, 06:42 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suspect that over the next several months, more and more dems will be distancing themselves from Obama....The Senators saw what happened to their brothers and sisters in the house when they went along with Barry and Nancy.

Steve </div></div>

Looking at the results, far greater percentages of those Dems who had distanced themselves (as Blue Dogs or other Republican-Lite Democrats) were defeated than among those who hewed a path in the party mainstream. True, and you could look it up.

As Truman I think said, given the choice of a real Republican or a Democrat playing Republican, the people will take the real one.

Soflasnapper
05-26-2011, 06:50 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the US Senate, a legislative body in which his party holds the majority, dear leader's budget scheme went down in defeat by a vote of <span style='font-size: 11pt'>zero yea to ninety seven nay!</span>

Wrap your head around that ... with a clear majority in the US Senate, the sitting POTUS could not get a single, not even <u><span style='font-size: 14pt'>ONE</span></u>, solitary vote for his budget scheme.

OH DEAR! (http://www.politico.com/politico44/perm/0511/_7afd0b1d-fd69-4f0b-9fa9-c5e98b5cb77a.html)
</div></div>

Besides my other points (which see), actually, Obama himself doesn't stand behind that February proposal at this time. It's been a dead letter for some time, as the gang of <s>six</s> five is working on a different budget framework, as Obama supports.

Contrast this with a Reagan budget which earned 'DOA' judgment from his own party as soon as it was presented.

Was Reagan about to go down in flames when his budget was rejected openly by his own party leaders as soon as it showed its face? I though he did ok in terms of his prospects, but I guess by your keen insight, he went down in flames. What a happy ending that was, even if that's not how I remember it.

These stories are all so much better when you tell them!

Qtec
05-27-2011, 03:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">True, and you could look it up. </div></div>

No chance. They hate facts. Facts just get in the way because THEY know what THEY know and nothing will alter that perception.

Q

LWW
05-27-2011, 04:17 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_twrK0YU6cqI/S4tHm7ZjenI/AAAAAAAAAPk/nSuI-he1OSg/s1600-R/Spin.jpg

</div></div>

Soflasnapper
05-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Calling my correct political analysis spin is spin on your part.

Are you claiming anything I said is untrue?

If it is all true, how is it spin?

Do you think Obama worked the phones for votes? That Reid had the Whip whipping votes, and got blanked despite the effort?

Fact is, this was exactly as I said, pure politics without actual meaning, other than the obvious attempt to have as many GOPrs on record voting for Ryan's proposal as possible. In return for getting this vote on the record for fall '12 purposes, they sacrificed this pawn as a gambit.

Ever play chess? Ever been in a Turkish bathhouse?