PDA

View Full Version : Rooms with Carom tables

nAz
05-26-2011, 02:33 PM
Just wondering how many PoolHalls around the country still have (if ever had) carom tables heated or not.
can everyone chime in and let me if their local PH has one and if its actually used?
Thanks

BTW here in NYC i think out of the five boroughs only Manhattan does not have a room with one in it.

pooltchr
05-26-2011, 03:30 PM
We have one in one of my regular rooms...10 footer that gets used occasionally. There is also a Korean Billiard room not too far from my home that has 6 of them...and the place is always packed...but since I don't speak Korean, I don't go there.

Steve

dg-in-centralpa
05-26-2011, 06:38 PM
not here.

DG

nAz
05-26-2011, 08:34 PM
looks like the Koreans and south Americans are keep Carom billiards alive in the USA, well at least in NYC (Queens) lots of small rooms with mostly Billiards tables and only a couple of Pocket tables... The way it should be /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

nAz
05-26-2011, 08:36 PM
Hey DG, how ya been?
Cant believe Billiards is dead in Central PA.

Sid_Vicious
05-26-2011, 09:07 PM
Carom tables, sadly, have been pushed out due to the real estate involved. It makes more money to put in 2 bar boxes in that space. Carom is a fine art, yet there's not many who can do it well, so there's little following. A really good billiard table is rare to find here in Texas. There's some in deep south Dallas though if you have the bravery to tread down that way. Speaking strong Spanish is a big plus if you know what I mean. sid

Rich R.
05-27-2011, 07:16 AM
The room where I play regularly, Big Daddy's in Glen Burnie, Md., has a very nice, heated, carom table. It was used regularly until recently. It's a long story, but the carom players took their business to another room that has two, heated, Gabriel tables.

Big Daddy's is also the only room I know of with a snooker table in this area.

Triple Nines, in Elkridge, Md., is the room with the Gabriels and they bought them after the carom tourney at Valley Forge this year. They are getting plenty of use there and some of the guys are in the process of starting a league.

Another room in my area is VIP Billiards in Catonsville, Md. They have 5 carom tables but I'm not sure they are heated. They are located in a seperate room from the 20 pool tables in that room.

There is another room in this area with carom tables but I'm not sure if they are heated and the management has screwed up the place so much I'd rather not give them a mention. I'm sure there are also some others but I don't know for sure.

I should also say, although there is a large Asian population in this area but all of the carom players are not Asian. There is a pretty fair mix of people playing carom billiards in this area. Although I'm not really a player, I do like to mess around on the carom tables once in a while and I would like to learn more. I think it would benefit my pool game.

JJFSTAR
05-27-2011, 09:12 AM
There are 2 billiard tables around here in Pittsburgh, PA. One is at the golden cue; the other is at breakers. Both are heated but the one at the golden cue is very old and does not have complete surface heat. I play billiards with some regularity and sadly; I rarely find the table occupied. I have only run into about a dozen people who really play 3 cushion with the same regularity I do.

Brian in VA
05-28-2011, 07:07 PM
In Richmond, VA the only room with a carom table is the Side Pocket with has one 10 footer, heated that sees lots of action during the day and the occasional player at night.

I just played the game for the first time a few months ago and was amazed at how difficult it is and how much there is to learn.

Brian in VA

dg-in-centralpa
05-28-2011, 07:49 PM
I'm doing fine. Long time no see. We have one room with 8 9foot brunswicks, and the cloth isn't the best, several years old. Nobody here, except for a few hard cores, know what a carom table is. Maybe in the bigger city, but not here. Glad to see you back, my friend.

DG

05-31-2011, 11:08 AM
In NJ, carom tables are getting fewer and fewer.

There are several rooms with Korean billiard tables and one room, in Edison, that is like a mini Carom CAfe; they have the big 3C tables, smaller Korean billiards tables and a handful of Pool tables.

Eric

Soflasnapper
06-15-2011, 04:02 PM
We have the Corner Pocket in Wilton Manors, which used to be a premier 3-C venue (tournaments attended by Blumdahl, Cuelmans, Sang Lee, etc.), which before it moved had 4 heated Verhoevens (along with about 10 9-footers, mainly Brunswick GCs, a Diamond or two).

When it moved, they down-sized to 3 Verhoevens, and now are down to 2 of them (replaced by GCs).

I hear from the players that the main venue for 3-C is down Miami way. A small place for Latins mainly is Mike's, in Margate, and they have several 9- and 10-foot 3-C tables, unheated, plus one super-tight GC as a legacy from when I used to go there when it was Bogie's.

Apparently the Latinos play the game a lot on a) smaller tables, that are b) unheated, at least if that's all that's available.

cueball1950
07-01-2011, 05:01 PM
good subject.....there are 2 placs here in the albany ny area that have them. the golden cue is adding another 1 so it will be back to having 2 of them. both unheated..............mike