PDA

View Full Version : "No Speak English, No Service"

nAz
05-26-2011, 08:27 PM
This place must be the only restaurant in the whole country not to have a Spanish person working in the kitchen! I'm all for English as the official language but not for nothing that sigh is just wrong.

A sign that said "No Speak English, No Service" was taken down from a Lexington restaurant in North Carolina on Tuesday.
Greg Simons said he took down the sign from his restaurant, the Reedy Creek Family Diner, after being bombarded with complaints.
"We started getting threatening phone calls and people using colorful language if you will," Simons said.
The sign said at the very bottom, "We only speak and understand American." Besides American English, the "No Speak English, No Service" phrase was also translated into French, German, Russian and Spanish.
About a month ago Simons said he posted the sign after he and his wait staff were put into an uncomfortable situation with a group of customers.
"They got offended because we couldn't speak any Spanish. They were frustrated. I was frustrated as well and they left. Unfortunately I don't have anybody here that's bilingual," said Simons.
Simons believes people are taking his sign out of context, making a racial issue out of something he says is merely a communication issue.
"It doesn't really make any sense to me. Why would I want to alienate any customers?" Simons said.
Regardless, people not only called the restaurant to complain but also made comments on their Facebook pages.
One woman wrote, "It's pretty stupid to have that on the front door. I'm German, not English. Should they serve me?"
Simons said he is planning to keep his sign down, hoping he will not have any more problems.

Gayle in MD
05-26-2011, 08:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nAz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This place must be the only restaurant in the whole country not to have a Spanish person working in the kitchen! I'm all for English as the official language but not for nothing that sigh is just wrong.

A sign that said "No Speak English, No Service" was taken down from a Lexington restaurant in North Carolina on Tuesday.
Greg Simons said he took down the sign from his restaurant, the Reedy Creek Family Diner, after being bombarded with complaints.
"We started getting threatening phone calls and people using colorful language if you will," Simons said.
The sign said at the very bottom, "We only speak and understand American." Besides American English, the "No Speak English, No Service" phrase was also translated into French, German, Russian and Spanish.
About a month ago Simons said he posted the sign after he and his wait staff were put into an uncomfortable situation with a group of customers.
"They got offended because we couldn't speak any Spanish. They were frustrated. I was frustrated as well and they left. Unfortunately I don't have anybody here that's bilingual," said Simons.
Simons believes people are taking his sign out of context, making a racial issue out of something he says is merely a communication issue.
"It doesn't really make any sense to me. Why would I want to alienate any customers?" Simons said.
Regardless, people not only called the restaurant to complain but also made comments on their Facebook pages.
One woman wrote, "It's pretty stupid to have that on the front door. I'm German, not English. Should they serve me?"
Simons said he is planning to keep his sign down, hoping he will not have any more problems.

</div></div>

Seems to me that if communication issues, had really been his ONLY reason, for the offensive, racist sign, he would have been smart enough to get a new menu made up, with pictures of the meals on the Menu, next to the prices of the meals, like may chain restaurants across the country, use.

I don't buy his excuse.

G.

LWW
05-27-2011, 04:11 AM
If you believe in liberty, then you must believe that the owner of the establishment has a right to refuse service if you speak spanish ... or even unless you speak spanish.

pooltchr
05-27-2011, 06:24 AM
I totally agree with his right to determine who he serves. I believe the sign was over the top and probably inappropriate. I also believe that if you come to this country and expect to be able to function, you need to learn OUR language. If you don't, you take the chance that you might not be able to conduct simple business transactions in some places.

This is America. If you want to live here, at least learn OUR language!

Steve

Gayle in MD
05-27-2011, 09:11 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nAz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This place must be the only restaurant in the whole country not to have a Spanish person working in the kitchen! I'm all for English as the official language but not for nothing that sigh is just wrong.

</div></div>
Seems we have loads of racist RWers in the flyover states, who don't like to acknowledge that America is a country of immigrants, always has been.

they would like to reverse our efforts to insure equal rights, under the laws of our Constitution.

While on the one hand they want to penetrate and dictate to all others what we do in our bedrooms, with our own uteruses, inside our doctors offices, and even inside our blood streams, (Rick Scott in Florida) including what we do in our own time, after work housrs, but at the same time, they want to have the right to refuse American customers, whose language they don't like, service in their restaurants, to assuage their own racist attitudes.

I wonder, where woman in the flyover states, go to get their nails done, LMAO!

I'll bet you they are listening to the Vietnamese Language while they sit there....

Bet they don't bitch about foreign languages, when a taxie pulls up to pick their sorry asses in NY! but gee, do they even know where NY is?

Bet they are out there hiring every illegal they can find, to do their lawn work, as many of their chosen political candidates on the right, have been caught doing. It's the right, who blocks heavy fines, for corporations who hire illegals. Repiglicans, and Rw flyovers, are wlking contradictions. They are the last people in the world, with any concept of freedom, yet that's what they yap about, non stop, while in the midst of seeking to dictate and invade the privacy of others.

LMAO, while their RW fascist, beloved Supreme Court, rules for more opportunities to allow Corporate thieves to hide their money and profits, in other countries, and forieng interests to provide money for the candidate of their choice, under the radar, they don't have any complaints, but let a Mexican speak spanish in their North Carolina Restaurants, and they're up in arms!

Contradictions personified!

BWA HA HA HA....idiots!

Hey, BTW, how is Wendy?

pooltchr
05-27-2011, 09:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> America is a country of immigrants, always has been.

</div></div>

That is true. What is also true is that the immigrants came here because they liked the idea of living in the US, of becoming a part of this country. They didn't leave their old country in hopes of turning this country into a mirror of their old country. They came here (legally), learned the language, learned how things are done here, and worked to become Americans!

And nobody is complaining about them. It's the ones who come here to take what they can, and have no desire to become part of our society that are dragging down the country, and give the legal immigrants a bad reputation.

Steve

Gayle in MD
05-27-2011, 09:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> America is a country of immigrants, always has been.

</div></div>

That is true. What is also true is that the immigrants came here because they liked the idea of living in the US, of becoming a part of this country. They didn't leave their old country in hopes of turning this country into a mirror of their old country. They came here (legally), learned the language, learned how things are done here, and worked to become Americans!

And nobody is complaining about them. It's the ones who come here to take what they can, and have no desire to become part of our society that are dragging down the country, and give the legal immigrants a bad reputation.

Steve </div></div>

YOU ARE SO FULL OF IT IT'S FUNNY!

HOW THE HELL DOES A RESTAURANT OWNER KNOW IF PEOPLE SPEAKING A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE, ARE LEGAL AMMERICANS, OR NOT!

I still speak Italian with my daughter and grandaughter, often while we're dinging out.

Does that make me an illegal, who hasn't embraced America?

What this man did was Pure Racism.

Your views about Freedom, are as twisted as they come.

Loads of people from other countries, continue to speak the language of their original country.

You think because someone owns a business, that gives them the right to discriminate against others?

How sick! What a colossally un-American, racist, elitist view of the world you suffer from!

You righties have no clue what FREEDOM is! That's exactly why you and your RW philosophies are dictatorial, ignorant, and hypocritical.

G.

pooltchr
05-27-2011, 10:34 AM
Are you really that dense? The sign didn't say anything about people who speak other languages....it only said that they only speak English, and if you want service from them, you need to be able to speak English.

You are the one who brought up the fact that we have always had immigrants in this country. I was just pointing out that the ones who come here legally, and with good intentions, generally take the responsibility of learning the language.

Steve

Gayle in MD
05-27-2011, 10:37 AM
ARe you really THAT dense?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I totally agree with his right to determine who he serves.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And nobody is complaining about them. It's the ones who come here to take what they can, and have no desire to become part of our society that are dragging down the country, and give the legal immigrants a bad reputation.

</div></div>

Becoming an American, does not require speaking our language 24 hours a day.

The sign was racist. Business owners have no right to dictate what language can and cannot be spoken, in any given place, nor who can and cannot be served, according to what language they speak, as you stated was their right!

G.

pooltchr
05-27-2011, 12:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Business owners have no right to dictate what language can and cannot be spoken, in any given place, nor who can and cannot be served, according to what language they speak, as you stated was their right!

G. </div></div>

Amazing! You really are that dense!
The business owner is not dictating what language should or should not be spoken in his establishment. He is just saying that if you plan to order, you need to be able to do so in English....that is the language his staff speaks.

Steve

LWW
05-27-2011, 03:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What this man did was Pure Racism.

G.

</div></div>

Hispanic is not a race.

Italian is not a race.

Islam is not a race.

Do you actually know anything?

Gayle in MD
05-28-2011, 08:33 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Business owners have no right to dictate what language can and cannot be spoken, in any given place, nor who can and cannot be served, according to what language they speak, as you stated was their right!

G. </div></div>

Amazing! You really are that dense!
The business owner is not dictating what language should or should not be spoken in his establishment. He is just saying that if you plan to order, you need to be able to do so in English....that is the language his staff speaks.

Steve </div></div>

Amazing, stunning ignorance, as usual.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A sign that said "No Speak English, No Service" was taken down from a Lexington restaurant in North Carolina on Tuesday.
</div></div>

Against the laws of the land. Against the customer's Constitutional rights.

Not only that, an obviously bad business decision, which smacks of discrimination, because it IS discrirmination, which if you actually knew anything about the COTUS, maybe you would have kept you mouth shut for once, instead of spewing another condescending attack, with yet another RW BS response, which is completely off the mark.

No business owner has the right to refuse service to anyone, unless they are breaking the law, or being a public nuscence of some kind, such as disturbing the peace, threatening a customer, drunken in public, etc., etc,...

There is no law against speaking a foreign language in our country. The owner could have been sued, and in fact, it may still come, if any of those customers he refused, decide to act upon.

No surprise to me where this happened, either....

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

pooltchr
05-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Wrong again, Gayle.

There is nothing in the constitution that says I have to accept you as a student in my classes. I am completely able to select my customers at my descretion. You have no constitutional right to be a customer of mine.

Steve

Sev
05-28-2011, 09:51 AM
I see Gayle is still being a bigot.

English is the language of business in America. You should be able to articulate your needs in it. It is not incumbent on anybody to have to defer to your lack of ability.

The business owners sign did not isolate one group of people but rather included all individuals.

He also did not state that if a group came in with 1 individual that could speak English for the group that they would be turned away.

Seems pretty simple. Learn the language of the country you decide to reside in.

Its not really to much to ask.
Hopefully they will at some point pass a constitutional amendment that only recognizes English as the language of America.
Problem solved.

Gayle in MD
05-28-2011, 09:54 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wrong again, Gayle.

There is nothing in the constitution that says I have to accept you as a student in my classes. I am completely able to select my customers at my descretion. You have no constitutional right to be a customer of mine.

Steve </div></div>

AHHHH I see your trying to get me to say something about your "business"????

LMAO!

You've already written here that you refuse to teach any Liberals, have you not?

News Flash.

YOU DON'T TEACH IN AN OPEN TO THE PUBLIC LOCATION THAT YOU OWN.

How damn dumb can you be???? You are comparing apples and oranges, regarding the sign in this man's restaurant, and your pool students.

Go back and read the Civil Right's Bill, do some research, for once!

G.

eg8r
05-28-2011, 10:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A sign that said "No Speak English, No Service" was taken down from a Lexington restaurant in North Carolina on Tuesday.
Greg Simons said he took down the sign from his restaurant, the Reedy Creek Family Diner, after being bombarded with complaints.</div></div>I hope they have the gall to put it up and leave it up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One woman wrote, "It's pretty stupid to have that on the front door. I'm German, not English. Should they serve me?"
</div></div>The sign has nothing to do with nationality so I guess this idiot probably should go elsewhere.

eg8r

Sev
05-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Isnt this a fairly old story?
I seem to remember it occurring last year.

eg8r
05-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Doesn't matter, the underlying problem is still around. I love to go to Pat's when I am in Philly and they tried to take his sign down but he won in court. If you don't speak english get someone to help you order or you are out of luck.

When I travel overseas I make sure that I am with people who speak the native language so that I can order that way and I expect them to do the same thing.

eg8r

Sev
05-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Seems a reasonable approach to me.

pooltchr
05-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Since when has "reasonable" had an impact on trying to make a point with Gayle????

Steve

Gayle in MD
05-28-2011, 11:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Since when has "reasonable" had an impact on trying to make a point with Gayle????

Steve </div></div>

You're the last person in the world, whose sense of reason would hold any credibility with me, Bubba.

pooltchr
05-28-2011, 12:07 PM
I neither seek, nor desire, your approval.

In fact, if you agreed with me, I would be forced to rethink my position on just about any subject.

Steve

Gayle in MD
05-28-2011, 12:23 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I neither seek, nor desire, your approval.

In fact, if you agreed with me, I would be forced to rethink my position on just about any subject.

Steve </div></div>
And I neither seek nor desire your opinions.

Interesting statement, since you've been stalking and commenting on everything I write on here for years, and following them up with one insutling BS statement, and lie, after another.

You're a joke!

G.

hondo
05-29-2011, 03:14 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nAz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This place must be the only restaurant in the whole country not to have a Spanish person working in the kitchen! I'm all for English as the official language but not for nothing that sigh is just wrong.

</div></div>

Seems to me that if communication issues, had really been his ONLY reason, for the offensive, racist sign, he would have been smart enough to get a new menu made up, with pictures of the meals on the Menu, next to the prices of the meals, like may chain restaurants across the country, use.

I don't buy his excuse.

G. </div></div>

I do.

hondo
05-29-2011, 03:15 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you believe in liberty, then you must believe that the owner of the establishment has a right to refuse service if you speak spanish ... or even unless you speak spanish. </div></div>

Yep.

hondo
05-29-2011, 03:16 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I totally agree with his right to determine who he serves. I believe the sign was over the top and probably inappropriate. I also believe that if you come to this country and expect to be able to function, you need to learn OUR language. If you don't, you take the chance that you might not be able to conduct simple business transactions in some places.

Steve </div></div>

Si.

hondo
05-29-2011, 03:20 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nAz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This place must be the only restaurant in the whole country not to have a Spanish person working in the kitchen! I'm all for English as the official language but not for nothing that sigh is just wrong.

</div></div>
Seems we have loads of racist RWers in the flyover states, who don't like to acknowledge that America is a country of immigrants, always has been.

they would like to reverse our efforts to insure equal rights, under the laws of our Constitution.

While on the one hand they want to penetrate and dictate to all others what we do in our bedrooms, with our own uteruses, inside our doctors offices, and even inside our blood streams, (Rick Scott in Florida) including what we do in our own time, after work housrs, but at the same time, they want to have the right to refuse American customers, whose language they don't like, service in their restaurants, to assuage their own racist attitudes.

I wonder, where woman in the flyover states, go to get their nails done, LMAO!

I'll bet you they are listening to the Vietnamese Language while they sit there....

Bet they don't bitch about foreign languages, when a taxie pulls up to pick their sorry asses in NY! but gee, do they even know where NY is?

Bet they are out there hiring every illegal they can find, to do their lawn work, as many of their chosen political candidates on the right, have been caught doing. It's the right, who blocks heavy fines, for corporations who hire illegals. Repiglicans, and Rw flyovers, are wlking contradictions. They are the last people in the world, with any concept of freedom, yet that's what they yap about, non stop, while in the midst of seeking to dictate and invade the privacy of others.

LMAO, while their RW fascist, beloved Supreme Court, rules for more opportunities to allow Corporate thieves to hide their money and profits, in other countries, and forieng interests to provide money for the candidate of their choice, under the radar, they don't have any complaints, but let a Mexican speak spanish in their North Carolina Restaurants, and they're up in arms!

Contradictions personified!

BWA HA HA HA....idiots!

Hey, BTW, how is Wendy? </div></div>

Well, dear friend, I'm afraid West Virginia just became a fly-over state.
Why should he be forced to hire a bi-lingual waiter?
I did hear his burritos and chile con carne were great, however. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

hondo
05-29-2011, 03:21 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> America is a country of immigrants, always has been.

</div></div>

Steve </div></div>

Oui.

hondo
05-29-2011, 03:25 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> America is a country of immigrants, always has been.

</div></div>

Steve </div></div>

YOU ARE SO FULL OF IT IT'S FUNNY!

HOW THE HELL DOES A RESTAURANT OWNER KNOW IF PEOPLE SPEAKING A DIFFERENT LANGUAGE, ARE LEGAL AMMERICANS, OR NOT!

I still speak Italian with my daughter and grandaughter, often while we're dinging out.

Does that make me an illegal, who hasn't embraced America?

What this man did was Pure Racism.

Your views about Freedom, are as twisted as they come.

Loads of people from other countries, continue to speak the language of their original country.

You think because someone owns a business, that gives them the right to discriminate against others?

How sick! What a colossally un-American, racist, elitist view of the world you suffer from!

You righties have no clue what FREEDOM is! That's exactly why you and your RW philosophies are dictatorial, ignorant, and hypocritical.

G.

</div></div>

But the difference is that if the waiter hearing you speak Italian said, " Gollee, little lady, I don't speak that there Portugese!" you could switch to English. Capisce?

hondo
05-29-2011, 03:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ARe you really THAT dense?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I totally agree with his right to determine who he serves.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And nobody is complaining about them. It's the ones who come here to take what they can, and have no desire to become part of our society that are dragging down the country, and give the legal immigrants a bad reputation.

</div></div>

Becoming an American, does not require speaking our language 24 hours a day.

The sign was racist. Business owners have no right to dictate what language can and cannot be spoken, in any given place, nor who can and cannot be served, according to what language they speak, as you stated was their right!

G. </div></div>

Why not? Trying to see your side but I just don't get it.
The more freedoms we let get away, the more we lose, Gayle.

Sev
05-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Its funny we used to be selective on who we allowed to immigrate to the US.
People would be turned away at Ellis all the time and sent back.
It was considered a privilege to be accepted.

The Jews, Italian, Germans, Norwegians, Polish, Russians, Chinese, Koreans, Japanese and others never raised a fuss about assimilating into the US culture while at the same time adding nuances of their own.

Was it easy for them? No. However they did so.

My question is what gives the latest group of immigrants to this country the right to force a change in our culture rather than them assimilating into it?

I am comfortable with my culture and have no desire to bow to immigrants who believe their feet being on my soil gives them the right to oppress me.

That way revolution lays.

pooltchr
05-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Hondo.

Good for you. I suspect much of her discontent is probably because of the location of the restaurant, rather than the actual events. The sign never said anything about immigrants, or people who speek other languages, only that to be given service in his establishment, customers need to be able to speak the same language as his employees.

Good to see a reasonable response from "the other side". /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Steve