PDA

View Full Version : Tablets, anyone?

eg8r
06-01-2011, 09:00 AM
It seems that this board is not too interested in tech gadgets. Dee and I have an iPad, I was wondering if anyone else out there has the iPad or one of its competitors. If so what do you like/dislike about it?

eg8r

LWW
06-01-2011, 01:13 PM
What is the appeal of a tablet, other than a small weight saving ... at the expense of no keyboard and an always exposed screen ... that a laptop doesn't offer?

pooltchr
06-01-2011, 01:25 PM
I love my laptop.
I hate my smart phone.
I have no desire to get a bigger smart phone that doesn't even make phone calls.

Steve

eg8r
06-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Wow, it has been awesome. The appeal for my family has been the ease of travel, far away and close to home. My 4 year old loves to download new games while sitting at a restaurant waiting for his food, can't do that with a laptop. He loves the fact that the battery lasts roughly 9 hours and can play 3 solid movies before thinking about a charge, can't do that with a laptop. It weighs a pound or so, can't say that about a laptop. Access to over 60,000 apps no matter where you are at, can't say that about a laptop. Instant on, better than 99.9% of all laptops currently. I literally have the ability to 95% of anything I want to do on a computer for at least 9 straight hours (one charge), can't say that about a laptop. It takes up little space on an airplane in which to work, can't say that about a laptop. The list goes on.

Now the things it has in common with a laptop... Ability to surf the net anywhere in the world, as long as your laptop is tethered to something. Ability to handle any MS office document as a full fledged application, only $40.00 for the iPad apps, how much is it for MS Office? A bluetooth keyboard is connected in less than 5 seconds, makes it exactly like a laptop. Ability to print wirelessly any document, just like a laptop. Image/video editing on a consumer level, just like a laptop. Handle full DJ capabilities, just like a laptop but you see laptop going by the wayside in this genre also.

Things the laptop can do but the iPad cannot...Image/video intensive editing, the apps available do not offer the same array of functionality and the processor may or may not be able to handle it. Transfer data through USB, however data by email works just fine and cloud computing is just around the corner for the everyday consumer. Ability to load million of different software programs already in-use, iOS has a lot of apps but computer programs have been around forever.

I am sure I missed some things (pro and con) but as a software developer and seeing the needs that I have for computing power, ease of use, ability to travel, I don't see the laptop even close especially considering the power of the iPad2. I do not use my iPad for work due to security reasons but then again it takes a while to move large companies and you will see adoption among smaller companies much quicker. I have a bluetooth keyboard that when opened and iPad resting on top it actually resembles the Macbook so much that the employees at the Apple store were not sure what it was at first. Heck I even use the thing to access my saltwater fishtank to control the lights, pumps and fans.

I wasn't sure how much I would use it when we got it for Christmas but it is in use non-stop. LOL, I actually think back to when I was four and what I was doing at the time. I did not write my first computer program till I was 8 but my 4 year old can search for a game, log in, download it, then play it all while sitting at dinner. It is amazing.

eg8r

eg8r
06-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Borrow someone's the next time you travel and see how much nicer it is to travel with than your laptop. I used to love my laptop also and I never had a smartphone till the iPhone came out. I gave the thing a try and I love it.

eg8r

pooltchr
06-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Maybe it's because I don't have an i-phone...I use a Blackberry storm. I never got an i-phone simply because I refused to use ATT as my carrier. Maybe now that Verizon has them, I may consider it when I'm due for another upgrade.

Steve

LWW
06-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Is there a Photoshop version for the iPad?

eg8r
06-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Nothing like the full edition. They have one that allows some manipulation of photos. I really don't think the first gen iPad had the firepower to handle multi-layered image manipulation anyways. The iPad 2 can handle it just fine but Adobe has not updated their app yet.

eg8r