PDA

View Full Version : Why The Right Hates Palin

Gayle in MD
06-03-2011, 10:06 AM
1. Former Republican Secretary of State, General Colin Powellís statement as he explained his reasons for endorsing Barack Obama in 2008:
I don't believe she's ready to be president of the United States, which is the job of the vice president. And so that raised some question in my mind as to the judgment that Sen. McCain made.

2. A McCain staffer talking to CNN about Palinís penchant for going off-script:
She is a diva. She takes no advice from anyone. She does not have any relationships of trust with any of us, her family or anyone else. Also, she is playing for her own future and sees herself as the next leader of the party. Remember: divas trust only unto themselves, as they see themselves as the beginning and end of all wisdom.

3. The [Republican] President of the Alaska State Senate, Lyda Green on Palinís qualifications to be the vice president or president:
She's not prepared to be governor. How can she be prepared to be vice president or president? Look at what she's done to this state. What would she do to the nation?"

4. The Alaska State Speaker of the House, Republican John Harris, on Palinís qualifications for the position of vice president:
She's old enough. She's a U.S. citizen.

5. In an interview with The Atlantic's Jefrey Goldberg, Conservative commentator, David Brooks, decries Sarah Palinís anti-intellectualism.
[Sarah Palin] represents a fatal cancer to the Republican party. The more I follow politicians, the more I think experience matters, the ability to have a template of things in your mind that you can refer to on the spot, because believe me, once in office there's no time to think or make decisions.

6. The most damning quote comes from former chief strategist for Bushís 2004 re-election campaign, Matthew Dowd on Palinís nomination:
[McCain] knows, in his gut, that he put somebody unqualified on the ballot. He knows that in his gut, and when this race is over that is something he will have to live with... He put somebody unqualified on that ballot and he put the country at risk, he knows that.

7. Conservative columnist, Kathleen Parker, writes in her column in National Review:
If BS were currency, Palin could bail out Wall Street herself. If Palin were a man, we'd all be guffawing, just as we do every time Joe Biden tickles the back of his throat with his toes. But because she's a woman ó and the first ever on a Republican presidential ticket ó we are reluctant to say what is painfully true.

8. And, Parker goes on to say:
Palinís recent interviews with Charles Gibson, Sean Hannity, and now Katie Couric have all revealed an attractive, earnest, confident candidate. Who Is Clearly Out Of Her League.

9. Finished ripping in to Palin, and McCainís choice of Palin, Parker continues by asking Palin to step down:
Only Palin can save McCain, her party, and the country she loves. She can bow out for personal reasons, perhaps because she wants to spend more time with her newborn. No one would criticize a mother who puts her family first.

Do it for your country.

10. Conservative writer, Christopher Hitchens, another noted Republican who endorsed Obama in 2008 after Palinís nomination:
This is what the Republican Party has done to us this year: It has placed within reach of the Oval Office a woman who is a religious fanatic and a proud, boastful ignoramus. Ö On Nov. 4, anyone who cares for the Constitution has a clear duty to repudiate this wickedness and stupidity.

http://www.politicalruminations.com/2010/11/10-great-quotes-about-sarah-palin-by-republicans.html

Soflasnapper
06-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Some minor quibbles here. Most of these people aren't really on the right, although they are Republicans and some are conservative.

But Powell is no one's idea of a righty, and the aparatchiks who are campaign advisors are more practical still, and rarely ideologues of the right.

Parker became suspect about the time she criticized Palin, and really is also not on the hard or far right, although a conservative.

Christopher Hitchins is an odd bird, but formerly a hard leftist prior to going somewhat to the right as a fierce critic of both the Clintons, but not actually a righty, either.

Hate may be too strong a word for the disapproval you've documented (although the McCain staffer might be that aggravated). But you've certainly shown their judgment that she is wholly unqualified for national leadership.

I'd simply point to Alaska, where they know her better than anywhere else and for far longer.

There, Obama has a better approval rating than does Ms. Palin, even as Alaska is a conservative state that usually elects Republicans to state wide and federal office.

eg8r
06-03-2011, 10:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd simply point to Alaska, where they know her better than anywhere else and for far longer.
</div></div>The people of Alaska loved her when they voted her in and saw the great work she was doing for them. Where it went wrong was when she pointed out the fact that the long time Rep Alaskan family was deep into the oil corporations pockets. With their new found hatred of her along with the rest of the long standing righties many lies were perpetuated about her.

At this point she can do no good for the Republican party by not announcing that she will not run. I wish she would get that out of the way and start doing what she can to help raise money. She needs to go back to the old days when she worked hard for what she has and use that motivation to propel a Republican into the White House.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-03-2011, 10:45 AM
I consider all Conservatives, and all Republicans, as being on "The Right" so it's just my opinion, I suppose, and also, I have heard Powell say he is a Republican, which for me means, he's a rightie, although I have always liked him very much.

The title, BTW, was just a poke at you know who. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Didn't really mean it literally.

About Hitchens, I have always liked him, even though I never agreed with his hatred of the Clintons, I have liked lots of other things he's written about.

Wish I could find the link from MSNBC, too, remember it (?) the one where Peggy Noonan got caught on what she thought was a dead mic, and was using the F. word, IIRC, outraged over the selection of Palin? Might have been after the VP debate.
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
G.

pooltchr
06-03-2011, 10:51 AM
I do find it odd that the biggest knock on Palin is her lack of qualifications for the office, but the one who opposed her on the D ticket was at least as unqualified, if not more so.

How did the Dems manage to come up with a Junior senator and former community organizer, and decide he was more qualified than a former governor?

I think the real problem the left has with Palin is she refuses to abide by all the PC rules, and speaks her mind.

Granted, I would not want to see her as President, but she says what she thinks, and it resonates very well with middle America. If nothing else, she points out the shortcomings of the present administration. They attack her, rather than defend their own actions.

Steve

Gayle in MD
06-03-2011, 10:58 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I do find it odd that the biggest knock on Palin is her lack of qualifications for the office, but the one who opposed her on the D ticket was at least as unqualified, if not more so.

How did the Dems manage to come up with a Junior senator and former community organizer, and decide he was more qualified than a former governor?

I think the real problem the left has with Palin is she refuses to abide by all the PC rules, and speaks her mind.

Granted, I would not want to see her as President, but she says what she thinks, and it resonates very well with middle America. If nothing else, she points out the shortcomings of the present administration. They attack her, rather than defend their own actions.

Steve </div></div>

the Administration doesn't pay any attention to Palin, FYI.

Joe Biden, was never a community organizer.

Additionally, President Obama had far more experience in Foreign Affairs, and proof of his brilliance, than Palin, who had NONE!

Joe Biden, is one of the most well versed on foreign policy, in Washington D.C.

So again, we got it, Steve. Another of your versions of Republicans good, Democrats bad.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Soflasnapper
06-03-2011, 11:17 AM
I do find it odd that the biggest knock on Palin is her lack of qualifications for the office, but the one who opposed her on the D ticket was at least as unqualified, if not more so.

I agree with that to a point. When I and my more conservative friend listened to BO's keynote address at the Kerry nominating convention (playing our Tuesday or Thursday regular 9-ball match), he proclaimed, there's your next presidential candidate, and he's someone I could vote for! (It was a rousing speech). I explained what I thought were the plain facts of political life, that no freshman senator could possibly get the nomination in his first term in a big office, so he was wrong as a matter of political reality-- couldn't happen, period. I was quite surprised.

But of course, O wasn't matched against the VP nominee, but against the P nominee, a 4-time at least melanoma survivor, who was older now (then) than Reagan was when he left his 8 year term. During his long stint in the Senate he completely reversed almost all his positions, in order to be more acceptable to the Reagan/Bush core of the party. When the financial crisis saw first McCain stating the fundamentals of the economy were sound, and then fairly erratic behavior (quitting the campaign), that was when the O lead was created and the public decision firmed up.

It isn't really SP's QUALIFICATIONS, per se, that are at issue, but her apparent not much more than average intelligence, coupled with a profoundly ignorant view of the world, and just as importantly, a vicious and vindictive personality style. Mean girl, ignorant girl, thin-skinned and vituperative.

Soflasnapper
06-03-2011, 11:18 AM
The title, BTW, was just a poke at you know who. ;\)

Didn't really mean it literally.

Perzackly, which I knew!

pooltchr
06-03-2011, 11:22 AM
So why was the campaign directed toward Palin, rather than toward McCain?

I have stated before that I believe the Dems decided it would be easier to attack an unknown, reletively vulnerable VP candidate, rather than take on a long standing Senator, with a very high profile military background.

Do you see it differently?

Which one was the easier target for them to attack?

Steve

Soflasnapper
06-03-2011, 11:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd simply point to Alaska, where they know her better than anywhere else and for far longer.
</div></div>The people of Alaska loved her when they voted her in and saw the great work she was doing for them. Where it went wrong was when she pointed out the fact that the long time Rep Alaskan family was deep into the oil corporations pockets. With their new found hatred of her along with the rest of the long standing righties many lies were perpetuated about her.

At this point she can do no good for the Republican party by not announcing that she will not run. I wish she would get that out of the way and start doing what she can to help raise money. She needs to go back to the old days when she worked hard for what she has and use that motivation to propel a Republican into the White House.

eg8r </div></div>

You got that backwards, somewhat. She came to power as that corruption busting person, taking on the corruption in Juneau and in that ruling family. That didn't get her in trouble with the people-- that got her elected by the people. (But trouble with the party, yes.)

However, it wasn't 'the lies' stated about her, but the truth, in my view. Some of which she even admitted, as when her claim that no one in the governor's office had pressured Moneghan to fire the former brother in law as an Alaskan trooper was revised to say, whoops! some 13 to 18 contacts were repeatedly made to him from SP's husband the first dude, SP's chief of staff, and like that.

So, there were lies, typically from the Palin camp, and yes those did hurt her with the people as they were exposed.

Gayle in MD
06-03-2011, 11:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So why was the campaign directed toward Palin, rather than toward McCain?

I have stated before that I believe the Dems decided it would be easier to attack an unknown, reletively vulnerable VP candidate, rather than take on a long standing Senator, with a very high profile military background.

Do you see it differently?

Steve </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have stated before that I believe the Dems decided it would be easier to attack an unknown, reletively vulnerable VP candidate, rather than take on a long standing Senator, with a very high profile military background.

</div></div>
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

The Dems didn't select McCain, OR Palin, and they were both attacked during the campaign, just as McCain and Palin attacked both Obama And Biden, and, as in is always the way, in all campaigns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you see it differently?

</div></div>

Can you read?

Sofla already answered that....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But of course, O wasn't matched against the VP nominee, but against the P nominee, a 4-time at least melanoma survivor, who was older now (then) than Reagan was when he left his 8 year term. During his long stint in the Senate he completely reversed almost all his positions, in order to be more acceptable to the Reagan/Bush core of the party. When the financial crisis saw first McCain stating the fundamentals of the economy were sound, and then fairly erratic behavior (quitting the campaign), that was when the O lead was created and the public decision firmed up.

</div></div>

[Palin was attacked because she was so obviously stupid, about national and international issues, and McCain because he was obviously a flip flopper, and he was too old, and irrational for the job. An obvious hot head, who had a history of irrational bahavior, and irrational statements, like, "The fundamentals of the economy are strong" right at the time of the crash.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

His selection of Palin, was also, an obvious Hail Mary Pass.

eg8r
06-03-2011, 01:06 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got that backwards, somewhat. She came to power as that corruption busting person, taking on the corruption in Juneau and in that ruling family. That didn't get her in trouble with the people-- that got her elected by the people. (But trouble with the party, yes.)
</div></div>Trouble with her party is exactly what this thread is about...

eg8r

LWW
06-03-2011, 01:49 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd simply point to Alaska, where they know her better than anywhere else and for far longer.

There, Obama has a better approval rating than does Ms. Palin, even as Alaska is a conservative state that usually elects Republicans to state wide and federal office.
</div></div>

Evidenced by?

Soflasnapper
06-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Evidenced by the polling.

You're not aware of the polls that show that?

LWW
06-03-2011, 01:51 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You got that backwards, somewhat. She came to power as that corruption busting person, taking on the corruption in Juneau and in that ruling family. That didn't get her in trouble with the people-- that got her elected by the people. (But trouble with the party, yes.)
</div></div>Trouble with her party is exactly what this thread is about...

eg8r </div></div>

According to the thread title it's about trouble with the right.

Republicans, as a whole, are leftists ... they just aren't usually moonbat crazy leftists.