PDA

View Full Version : POLITBURO: Dear leader, we rebuke you!

LWW
06-03-2011, 02:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Crossing party lines to deliver a stunning rebuke to the commander in chief, the vast majority of the House voted Friday for resolutions telling President Obama he has broken the constitutional chain of authority by committing U.S. troops to the international military mission in Libya. </div></div>

OH MY! (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/3/bipartisan-congress-rebuffs-obama-libya-mission/)

Sev
06-03-2011, 08:39 PM
He's been torpedoed.

LWW
06-04-2011, 02:57 AM
The democrooks will turn on him come the 2012 election.

As I predicted in January, 2009 ... he is politically radioactive.

Soflasnapper
06-04-2011, 10:46 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Crossing party lines to deliver a stunning rebuke to the commander in chief, the vast majority of the House voted Friday for resolutions telling President Obama he has broken the constitutional chain of authority by committing U.S. troops to the international military mission in Libya. </div></div>

OH MY! (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/3/bipartisan-congress-rebuffs-obama-libya-mission/)

</div></div>

To be a little clearer, the majority of Dems in the House did not vote to pass these non-binding resolutions that actually do nothing except express the Congress' long-held position that the War Powers Act is Constitutional and therefore binding law.

It has been the position of all presidents since it was passed that the law is unConstitutional, and violates the separation of powers doctrine by illegitimately curbing the executive branch's sole authority to do foreign policy. Obama appears to agree with all those past presidents' precedents.

Considering that this hasn't come before the SCOTUS, we don't know at this time who is right, or rather, will be found right.

But even in this case, where their vote doesn't even matter, the majority of House Dems voted no on these several measures.

LWW
06-04-2011, 12:53 PM
And?

Soflasnapper
06-04-2011, 02:23 PM
The story was framed by the author and your headline as 'the Democrats' (you say, Politburo) in the House had a majority who voted to rebuke the policy.

The author fudged this up by adding in ALL the Democrats who voted for any of these measures, although all but one failed to pass, and still he got only to 90 such members in total over all the votes, not a majority of the Dem House caucus.

The one that did pass was carried by the GOP vote, and it is no surprise that they would line up in opposition to the administration. If that was the headline, no one would pay attention to yet another Republican dissent from administration policy.

Properly framed, therefore, this is not what you presented to be the case, nor really what the author implied with his artificial construction.

Overall, it's a welcome development anyway, to me as skeptic of military adventurism. My guess is that the Israelis haven't told the Congress that they want the Libyan engagement to continue, so they are more free to vote a more traditionalist non-interventionist line in keeping with the long-standing position of the American people to favor isolationism.

LWW
06-05-2011, 03:29 AM
You are aware that there are 2 parties in the house, and that a majority is a majority ... aren't you?

Or, are you just chapped that your beloved democrooks can no longer dictate policy by fiat because the US electorate recently rebuked them?

Or, is it that nearly half of them have rebuked dear leader ... and all indications are that these enemies of the state are growing in number?

Qtec
06-05-2011, 03:33 AM
Oh my, a 'rebuke' !!!!!
LOL

Q.........

LWW
06-05-2011, 04:41 AM
A rebuke is something fair and balanced folks, unlike yourself, are capable of.

Soflasnapper
06-05-2011, 11:43 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are aware that there are 2 parties in the house, and that a majority is a majority ... aren't you?

Or, are you just chapped that your beloved democrooks can no longer dictate policy by fiat because the US electorate recently rebuked them?

Or, is it that nearly half of them have rebuked dear leader ... and all indications are that these enemies of the state are growing in number?
</div></div>

If you now want to say the GOP House members are in the Politburo, you'd have a point. But that isn't how you use that word, is it now?

BTW, this was not a vote to say the <s>Congress</s> House wanted to stop our involvement, just that they demand O seek Congressional approval for continuing in the war past the War Powers Act deadline.

An effort I agree with, actually. I favor less war at all times, and restricting the unlimited ability of any president to make war on his/her own.

However to really get anywhere with this, you certainly need the Senate to pass something similar, and it should be binding, not non-binding.

LWW
06-05-2011, 03:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you now want to say the GOP House members are in the Politburo, you'd have a point. But that isn't how you use that word, is it now?</div></div>

You just don't pay attention do you.

I have always on this forum said that the republichickens were wanting to take us to fascist state on a slow glide, while the democrooks want to take us at twice the speed limit on the downhill freeway with the brake lines cut.

The driver's destination is the same, the difference being the planned route.