PDA

View Full Version : CCB Stands for CUE CHALK BOARD

Tom_In_Cincy
09-14-2002, 11:17 PM
I hope this continues to be the case.. YET there has been an awful lot of non-pool related posts that have made this forum look quite different than what the CCB initials stand for.

Please keep this forum 'pool' related information as much as possible.. if you need to go off subject, please respect the CCB intentions.. and use private memos or e-mails..

09-15-2002, 12:29 AM
THE NAME DOES NOT SAY ANYTHing about pool it talks about chalk for cues....... so lets keep this place what it was meant to be by whoever named it..... can someone tell me whats the difference between cue chalk and chalkboard chalk.... damn wait now im confused... is it cue chalk that we are supposed to talking about or chalk for boards???... I'm too confused... anyone wanna talk about sex?

nAz
09-15-2002, 12:39 AM
lol this post will proberly generate more non pool treads just out of spite.

DT win any money tonight?

09-15-2002, 02:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> I hope this continues to be the case.. YET there has been an awful lot of non-pool related posts that have made this forum look quite different than what the CCB initials stand for.

Please keep this forum 'pool' related information as much as possible.. if you need to go off subject, please respect the CCB intentions.. and use private memos or e-mails.. <hr></blockquote>

ccb police now huh Tom?

good thing the open is coming soon,you need a vacation ... and so does the ccb BS

Warren_Lushia
09-15-2002, 03:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> THE NAME DOES NOT SAY ANYTHing about pool it talks about chalk for cues....... so lets keep this place what it was meant to be by whoever named it..... can someone tell me whats the difference between cue chalk and chalkboard chalk.... damn wait now im confused... is it cue chalk that we are supposed to talking about or chalk for boards???... I'm too confused... anyone wanna talk about sex?
<hr></blockquote>

tom has a good point though. on every topic specific forum, unrelated things come up like jokes and stuff which is cool, as long as it is "self-moderated" and does not get out of control. and in case you wondering, yes, there have been some popular billiard forums which got out of control and were simply shut down.

a particular problem with the BD CCB is the fact that flaming threads, which are typically long, and sustained by only a very few individuals, pop back on page one. because of their length, a flame thread (or way off topic thread) may occupy 50% or more of the 1st page threads with old crap. look at the top 10 threads just for an example.

its not about the first amendment or a joke or 3, or barbara's delicious pecans, its about spiteful hateful arguements that serve no purpose. there are are a large number of posts which are personal messages to other users too -- hello -- just pm them the message, we all don't need to hear.

a neat idea for those who wanna continue a giant lengthy arguement about something that has ZERO to do with pool it to copy the post your replying to, start a new post, paste it in, and have at it. continue every 10-20 posts to be fair to the other topics.

warren..&lt;--let old threads die, and start new ones

Vapros
09-15-2002, 10:13 AM
Hear! Hear! When you abandon the heading on the thread, either use a personal message or begin a new thread with a descriptive title. And don't resurrect ancient lengthy threads to fill up the current page. Maybe the BD guy could arrange for threads older than a couple of weeks to be deleted or sent to another site. Let's keep it current and let's keep it pool.

09-15-2002, 10:38 AM
How's this-

SHAAADAAAP,before i smack you with a cueball you narrow minded dick!

TomBrooklyn
09-15-2002, 10:50 AM
Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:there has been an awful lot of non-pool related posts... Please keep this forum 'pool' related information as much as possible.. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;I disagree, Tom. I think there has been very little posted lately that has not been directly or indirectly realted to pool.

Besides, a little discussion between pool players on other topics is normal and healthy also.

I don't think most people on this forum need to be told what to post in general and dogmatic yet amorphous terms.

If you wish to lead the discussion here in any particular direction, why not do it by pulling on the rope rather than pushing it?

=TB=

09-15-2002, 11:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> blunt and dogmatic yet amorphous terms.
=TB= <hr></blockquote>

jeez and me without my dictionary

rackmup
09-15-2002, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Webmaster of CCB:</font><hr>

Board Rules

This bulletin board service allows you <font color=red>(that's me)</font color=red> and other users <font color=red>(that's you guys and gals)</font color=red> to post information, provide feedback to Billiards Digest and its affiliates, and interact in real-time <font color=red>(note: it doesn't mandate "pool oriented" interaction)</font color=red>.
By using the Cue Chalk Board you agree not to post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others <font color=red>(like my right to speak freely about any topic)</font color=red>, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law.

You will be responsible for, and indemnify and hold harmless Billiards Digest, its subsidiaries, divisions, affiliates, agents and representatives against, any claim arising from any material that you post or transmit.

Although Billiards Digest and its affiliates may from time to time monitor or review posts to this bulletin board, neither Billiards Digest nor its affiliates ARE under any obligation to do so or RESPOND.

You acknowledge that Billiards Digest and its affiliates do not control the information <font color=red>(nor should anyone else)</font color=red> available on the Cue Chalk Board and that any opinions, advice, statements, services, offers or other information or content presented or disseminated on this bulletin board are those of their respective authors who are solely liable for their content. This includes but is not limited to BD writers or staff who may post from time to time.

Billiards Digest and its affiliates reserve the right, in their sole discretion, to edit, refuse to post or remove any material submitted to or posted on the Cue Chalk Board. This includes the right to refuse access to the Cue Chalk Board to any individual, group, or party who has acted in violation with this usage agreement.

You accept that if needed, Billiards Digest will at its discretion contact the Internet Service Provider of any individual, group, or party who posts messages outside the limitations of this agreement in an effort to eliminate future violations.<hr></blockquote>

Well...there you have it. The CCB, while it is a part of a billiards website, it is not designed for the sole and primary discussion of pool/billiards (according to the rules.)

What has happened here shouldn't be admonished, condemned or ridiculed. What HAS happened here?, you ask. Simple: Friendships have been made. Some have been strengthened by face-to-face meetings with those who were formerly "faceless" while others have prospered simply because of the ideas shared, thoughts passed along, kudos offered for "things well done" and all of the other wonderful peripheral effects of friendship, be they next door, across the state or across the seas.

While I agree, some of the posts are off topic, no man should ask that friendships and the conversations shared between those who recognize the value of such relationships, be ceased simply because the MINORITY wish to keep this forum "strictly pool."

Remember...it is pool that brought strangers together. It is pool that allowed strangers to become friends and it is this forum that allows those of us who have developed these friendships, to communicate our thoughts between each other.

I personally, will be glad to cease talking about anything but pool when someone else steps up and agrees to buy my stamps and envelopes, pay for my gasoline and vehicle upkeep or purchase my airfare so that I can continue to share the same "off-pool-topic" conversations with my CCB generated friends in person. Until that happens, once you learn my posts are not to your liking, or "off-topic", simply pass them by and move onto the posts about the "best-laminated-tips-for-break-cues-without-linen-wraps-and-with-short-ferrules-attached-to-laminated-Predator-shafts-for-nine-ball-soft-breaks-on-Simonis-860-in-humid-poolrooms-without-good-food-and-with-loud-music-played-by-bangers." Those are always fun to read for days.

Regards,

Ken (stepping down from the soapbox now)

Vapros
09-15-2002, 12:56 PM
You're not listening, I'm afraid. Nobody is asking you to stop your personal contacts. However, we are requesting that you utilize the features provided by CCB for this purpose, instead of using the Forum to stretch out a thread for ever and ever. Thanks.

09-15-2002, 01:12 PM
OK... YOU HAVE ASKED.. AND WE HAVE SAID NO... NOW GET OVER IT

Vapros
09-15-2002, 05:17 PM
I'm afraid you are correct, pal. Everything points that way. I am over it and I'm outa here. I have wasted too much time already, accessing posts that do not concern me, do not interest me and are unrelated to the thread I am trying to follow.

Life is too short and there are lots of other things to do. You and yours can have it. Enjoy.

rackmup
09-15-2002, 08:59 PM
No...I am listening. I'm just not succumbing to your wishes. I have said it before and I will say it again: If you don't like the non-pool posts...don't read them. If that doesn't suit you, then, being the gentleman that I am, may I show you the door?

Regards,

Ken

rackmup
09-15-2002, 09:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: vapros:</font><hr>I am over it and I'm outa here.<hr></blockquote>

I see you've found the door. The knob turns to the left and the door opens out. Please...shut it gently and remember; whenever you get whatever it is that is stuck up there, remove it (you'll feel better) and come on back.

To quote Tom Bodette:

"We'll leave the light on for ya'."

Regards,

Ken (the CCB: the land of the free and the home of the brave...and the occasional non-pool post)

rackmup
09-15-2002, 09:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: vapros:</font><hr>I'm afraid you are correct, pal. Everything points that way. I am over it and I'm outa here. I have wasted too much time already, accessing posts that do not concern me, do not interest me and are unrelated to the thread I am trying to follow.

Life is too short and there are lots of other things to do. You and yours can have it. Enjoy.<hr></blockquote>

You never left! You left the above message at:<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CCB Time &amp; Date Stamp:</font><hr>Vapros
(member)
09/15/02 06:17 PM
68.11.240.61<hr></blockquote> And here it is several hours later and there you are, for all to see in the "Who's Online" list, lurking like a...well...a lurker!

Welcome back. I hope you got that nasty thing out of there because it sure was making you dictorial and crabby.

Regards,

Ken

Fred Agnir
09-16-2002, 06:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr>
Board Rules

By using the Cue Chalk Board you agree not to post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind,
<hr></blockquote>

Rules continued

You acknowledge that Billiards Digest and its affiliates do not control the information <font color=red>(nor should anyone else)</font color=red> available on the Cue Chalk Board and that any opinions, advice, statements, services, offers or other information or content presented or disseminated on this bulletin board are those of their respective authors who are solely liable for their content.
<hr></blockquote>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr>
Well...there you have it. The CCB, while it is a part of a billiards website, it is not designed for the sole and primary discussion of pool/billiards (according to the rules.)<hr></blockquote>
I'm of the opinion that it's each poster's responsibility to police themselves in a an adult manner. If you (general) truly believe that there's no implication that this forum should be dominated by pool/billiard discussion, then there's nothing I or anyone else can do to stop you. The black and white of the board rules allows you to continue.

That being said, if you are willing to point to the letter of the rules, then by the same token you must be willing to abide by all of it, including the first part above that I've quoted. I'm sure if *that* part is followed, there'd be less attempts at individual police-ing. The moment that you violate that, then there should be no complaints of people trying to police the board.

Fred

bluewolf
09-16-2002, 08:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:there has been an awful lot of non-pool related posts... Please keep this forum 'pool' related information as much as possible.. &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;I strongly disagree, Tom. I think there has been very little posted lately that has not been directly or indirectly realted to pool.

A little discussion between pool players on other topics is normal and healthy also.

I don't welcome being dictated to on what I should and shouldn't post on this public forum in such blunt and dogmatic yet amorphous terms. I'd be surprised if many others did, either.

If you wish to lead the discussion here in any particular direction, you might find it more effective to do so by pulling on the rope rather than pushing it.

=TB= <hr></blockquote>

just a suggestion and something i have seen before.if a person puts NPR after the topic,then persons who do not want to read non pool topics can skip those threads.

also when a npr thread gets out of hand,it stays out of hand as long as people keep responding to it.i think it is a good idea to start new pool related topics at those times.

some of the topics i tried to start, ww said the ccb had already done those lots of times but people who have been here longer would have better ideas.

heater451
09-16-2002, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Vapros:</font><hr> You're not listening, I'm afraid. Nobody is asking you to stop your personal contacts. However, we are requesting that you utilize the features provided by CCB for this purpose, instead of using the Forum to stretch out a thread for ever and ever. Thanks. <hr></blockquote><blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> No...I am listening. I'm just not succumbing to your wishes. I have said it before and I will say it again: If you don't like the non-pool posts...don't read them. If that doesn't suit you, then, being the gentleman that I am, may I show you the door?<hr></blockquote>"Non-pool related posts" is quite a large category. I think Vapros is referring to 'banter' like posts, which could be sent by PM, instead of posted on the board.

For example, the post about Barbara's pecans was only "pool related", because passed the valuable information that the pecans are a valid stake, if you bet against her. However, if someone posted, "Thanks, I got the nuts," then that would be better off as a PM. (Of course, there is still no enforcement--there's not even a policy to enforce. It's just a viewpoint, capiche?)

Note:There were several "Thanks Mike, I got my keychains," but that relates to the CCB keychains, plus, it provides others with the information, in case that poster is a 'distributor'. As in life, there's a lot of grey area. . . .

Disclaimer: I was not singling out Barbara, pecans, nor SPetty's post about them, it was simply the first post I thought of, as it was recent.

========================

bluewolf
09-16-2002, 08:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Webmaster of CCB:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;

Board Rules

This bulletin board service allows you <font color=red>(that's me)</font color=red> and other users <font color=red>(that's you guys and gals)</font color=red> to post information, provide feedback to Billiards Digest and its affiliates, and interact in real-time <font color=red>(note: it doesn't mandate "pool oriented" interaction)</font color=red>.
By using the Cue Chalk Board you agree not to post or transmit any unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, profane, hateful, racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable material of any kind, including, but not limited to, any material which encourages conduct that would constitute a criminal offense, violate the rights of others <font color=red>(like my right to speak freely about any topic)</font color=red>, or otherwise violate any applicable local, state, national or international law.

<hr></blockquote>

well this last fray went right over the top.maybe if there werent flames and insults and long threads relating to it,the people would not be so upset about the npr stuff.

i deeply regret my part in the last one and hope to never be involved in anything like that again. the pen is mightier than the sword and hurt cannot be taken back or made all better by saying 'im sorry'

i think ill post as 'silverbullet 'for awhile and maybe in time certain people wont hate bluewolf anymore.

Laura

09-16-2002, 11:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Fred Agnir:</font><hr>
by the same token you must be willing to abide by all of it
Fred <hr></blockquote>

MUST is a word used in dictatorships not in free societies.... the word you are looking for is .. should? could?? might??? maybe?

09-16-2002, 01:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

CCB Stands for CUE CHALK BOARD

<hr></blockquote>

I'm glad that was clarified! I was about to start posting to the CANADIAN CREDIT BUREAU!

Fred Agnir
09-16-2002, 01:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: d0wnt0wn:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Fred Agnir:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt;
by the same token you must be willing to abide by all of it
Fred &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

MUST is a word used in dictatorships not in free societies.... the word you are looking for is .. should? could?? might??? maybe? <hr></blockquote>
You've read it out of context. If I said "you must be joking", that's the same context. It certainly isn't dictating that you *are* joking.

It's a statement of probability or supposition, and not an order as you suggesting. Exchange the word "apparently" or "are obviously" for "must", and maybe it'll make sense. Or not.

Fred &lt;~~~ must be crazy for adding yet another worthless post

rackmup
09-16-2002, 05:09 PM
...I don't care what anyone posts. It could be about pool, a swimmimg pool, a secretarial pool, a pool of water, a car pool or a compilation of others pooling their thoughts.

I'm going to post whatever I feel like posting (within the guidelines set forth by the CCB.) Others can utilize their ability to read what they want and to ignore the rest.

I'm more worried about Osama popping up again and possibly driving an AMC Pacer loaded with plastique into my favorite Baskin-Robbins or Saddam pushing some red button in an old leather briefcase that he keeps handcuffed to his wrist as he sleeps in his favorite pair of flannel "Terrorists are Us" pajamas and sending some camel-urine laden bomb our way than I am about the non-pool related posts here at the CCB.

Get a grip people...it's a "message board." The typed words you see are "messages." Read 'em, ignore 'em, respond to 'em...whatever floats your boat. Remember what your Momma told you when you were a kid: "Words never hurt anyone."

Regards,

Ken

Rod
09-16-2002, 05:38 PM
Sometimes this stuff is funnier than the Sunday comics. Ok I have a grip, now. My Momma never told me that, she said punch them in the nose! Well after she paid for some doctor bills, she said RUN!

heater451
09-16-2002, 06:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: rackmup:</font><hr> ...I don't care what anyone posts. It could be about pool, a swimmimg pool, a secretarial pool, a pool of water, a car pool or a compilation of others pooling their thoughts.

I'm going to post whatever I feel like posting (within the guidelines set forth by the CCB.) Others can utilize their ability to read what they want and to ignore the rest.

I'm more worried about Osama popping up again and possibly driving an AMC Pacer loaded with plastique into my favorite Baskin-Robbins or Saddam pushing some red button in an old leather briefcase that he keeps handcuffed to his wrist as he sleeps in his favorite pair of flannel "Terrorists are Us" pajamas and sending some camel-urine laden bomb our way than I am about the non-pool related posts here at the CCB.

Get a grip people...it's a "message board." The typed words you see are "messages." Read 'em, ignore 'em, respond to 'em...whatever floats your boat. Remember what your Momma told you when you were a kid: "Words never hurt anyone."

Regards,

Ken <hr></blockquote>Personally, I'm more interested in whether the economy is going to turn around, so I can quit worry about myself, and all my friends, being able to pay the mortgage and eat.

The only word that I can think of that's a hurting one, right now, is "recession". . . .

========================

09-16-2002, 07:10 PM

rackmup
09-17-2002, 06:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr>My Momma never told me that, she said punch them in the nose! Well <hr></blockquote>

Actually, I lied. My Momma always said "Go tell your sister...she'll beat the guy up FOR you."

Regards,

Ken (still afraid of my sister to this very day but I love her because she is important to the garment industry...she wears yards-upon-yards of polyester clothing.)

09-17-2002, 09:45 AM
how come evry time your economy sucks our canadian dollar has to pay for it :O(

nAz
09-17-2002, 09:49 AM
ROTF d/t

09-17-2002, 10:48 AM
heh well actually the us is our largest trading partner so naturally if your economy sux you arent buying as much from us wich makes investors craop thier pants and our buck goes down..... but the thing is when your economy is strong our buck goes down cause everyone runs and buys the us greenback.... i cant win.. I WANNA BE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

nAz
09-17-2002, 10:58 AM
I consider Canada little America so you can be a American but no more Cursing on this Board!!! lol

TomBrooklyn
09-17-2002, 11:30 AM
Quote: d0wnt0wn: I WANNA BE AMERICAN!!!!!!!!!!!! <hr></blockquote>Hey dOwntOwn, why don't you move to Brooklyn? Everybody else does. I used to live in a Norwegian neighbor, then I lived in a Greek neighborhood, then an Irish one, a Pakastani one, a Greek one, an Irish one, an Arab one, a Russian one, a Puerto Rican one and a Mexican one. Now I live in Chinatown. And I haven't moved the whole time.

Also, a new pool hall opens here every three months.

09-17-2002, 12:47 PM
ive been cursing??? oh sorry thats how we talk here in eskimo land

09-17-2002, 01:10 PM
Hey Tom, i love Brooklyn. Especialy how they teach the alphabet to the kids..."f*ckin a, f*chin b, f*ckin c." LOL St.~~might have had a real shot at passing English there~~

09-18-2002, 09:56 AM
this guy DOwnTOwn is lonely! 2 posts &amp; no real info added to the conversation. The stated reason behind this thread. The CCB is for obtaining GOOD INFORMATION about the Game &amp; the Players.

09-18-2002, 10:58 AM
please enlighten us all with the pool related content of your post. I sit by my computer anxiously waiting for a reply.

NH_Steve
09-18-2002, 02:40 PM
Rackm, you posted the Board Rules from the link at the bottom of the page, but there are actually more rules in the FAQ link:

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>
Registration as a User implies acceptance of the following terms and conditions:
- Participants shall not post any material likely to cause offence, that is protected by copyright,
trademark or other proprietary right - without the express permission of the owner of such copyright -
or that contains personal phone numbers or addresses.
- Participants may not use the Forums to post or transmit advertisements or commercial solicitations
of any kind.
- The appropriate Forum Moderator has the right to edit, censor, delete or otherwise modify any
posted message.
- This web site does not verify or guarantee the accuracy of the material posted to the Forums or
bear any responsibility for any loss, damage, or other liabilities caused by any posted message.
<hr></blockquote>

That's where the "no commercial solicitations" rule shows up...