PDA

View Full Version : Where is all the wealth...really?

pooltchr
06-05-2011, 09:28 AM
Based on this, one might conclude that most of the wealth in this country seems to find it's way toward our nation's capital.

Why was I not surprised?

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/meet-americas-richest-counties.html

Any chance that those who support the redistribution of wealth will try to move all that moeny out of the beltway area, and get it out toward the "flyover states"?

Steve

Steve

LWW
06-05-2011, 03:37 PM
The moonbat crazy left believes that all wealth belongs to the state.

Soflasnapper
06-05-2011, 05:08 PM
The use of the median income figure makes these county comparisons inaccurate as to the high end (the real wealth), and only reflects a higher low end/middle strata.

It's obvious by the lack of the true money areas' counties' inclusion. Where is the listing for the counties where Palm Beach, Beverly Hills, Belair, Cherry Hill, Manhattan, etc., are located?

Those counties don't show here, despite being where the top money people reside, because the MIDPOINT income median figure, representing where half the people are above it, and half above it, is lower. Overall, a county may have a lower median figure, but MUCH MORE HIGH-END WEALTH, and a greater aggregate wealth, than a higher median income county.

pooltchr
06-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Having lived in Palm Beach County for several years, I can tell you (but you probably already know) that while there are many very wealthy people on the island, the rest of the county is pretty much a blue collar area.

The article I posted would indicate that a much higher percentage are in the above average income catagory in the counties they listed.

Basically, what it points out is that there is quite a bit of money floating around at the heart of our givernment. But, we already suspected as much. Not just the giverment employeess, who we know are very well paid, but the lawyers, lobbiests, etc that manage to make a very nice living working either directly or indirectly for the giverment.

Steve

Gayle in MD
06-06-2011, 07:06 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Having lived in Palm Beach County for several years, I can tell you (but you probably already know) that while there are many very wealthy people on the island, the rest of the county is pretty much a blue collar area.

The article I posted would indicate that a much higher percentage are in the above average income catagory in the counties they listed.

Basically, what it points out is that there is quite a bit of money floating around at the heart of our givernment. But, we already suspected as much. Not just the giverment employeess, who we know are very well paid, but the lawyers, lobbiests, etc that manage to make a very nice living working either directly or indirectly for the giverment.

Steve </div></div>

Somebody's got to make enough money to get it to those flyovers, who perpetually have thier hands out, and most on the government dole.

Maryland is top in education, for the third year.

Easterners, have always been the biggest job producers, regardless of the size of Government.

Eat your heart out!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

pooltchr
06-06-2011, 08:12 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Easterners, have always been the biggest job producers, regardless of the size of Governmkent.

</div></div>

Would that be the wealthier easterners, or the poor and middle class easterners?

Steve

eg8r
06-06-2011, 08:17 AM
What does Maryland education have to do with the subject?

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-06-2011, 08:46 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What does Maryland education have to do with the subject?

eg8r </div></div>

Did you read the link?

eg8r
06-06-2011, 08:56 AM
I actually went back to read it again and I ask you again, what does Maryland education have to do with the subject. Are you stuck on the fact that it is talking about the quality of education in Falls Church City and you think that somehow includes your ranking of 50 US States?

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-06-2011, 09:09 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I actually went back to read it again and I ask you again, what does Maryland education have to do with the subject. Are you stuck on the fact that it is talking about the quality of education in Falls Church City and you think that somehow includes your ranking of 50 US States?

eg8r </div></div>

I'm simply pointing out that the States which have the best rankings in education, are also the States which are doing the best, economically.

G.

Soflasnapper
06-06-2011, 09:38 AM
I would almost guarantee that the measure used in the article really says almost nothing about total wealth in a county, and that PB County has far more wealth than any of the higher median household income counties. Consider it mentions a 5th place position or so for a very small county in New Mexico on this measure. There simply cannot be as much wealth there as in PB County with its 6 or 7 very wealth areas, despite that the median income is lower here than there.

It's not quite as you say in Palm Beach County, although you are correct that the wealth of Palm Beach isn't matched in most places. However, Jupiter Island may just match it quite close, and then you have many high end enclaves like Palm Beach Gardens, Wellington (horses and polo, for one indicator there), etc. Wiki mentions: With wealthy coastal towns such as Palm Beach, Jupiter, Manalapan, and Boca Raton within its limits, as well as equestrian mecca Wellington and golfing haven Palm Beach Gardens, Palm Beach County is Florida's wealthiest county, with a per capita personal income of $44,518 as of 2004.[3]

But measuring total wealth of a county, all you need are a couple of billionaires and quasi-billionaires, and that total will be very high, although the MEDIAN will not be much changed (the AVERAGE would be, though). And there ARE low end millionaires through to deci- and centi-millionaires to billionaires in all the ritzy neighborhoods and cities I mentioned above. (How'd I originally forget Boca Raton?)

The other thing you need to get a high wealth total is a lot of people in a county adding into that total. PB County has probably 1.5 million people (it's a large area).

Wealth is a different thing than income, although they're related. If you ever looked at Bill Gates' INCOME, you'd underestimate his wealth by orders of magnitude. Having a high income doesn't make anyone wealthy at the end of one year. Plenty of high earners are high spenders and/or in a lot of debt, so while they may enjoy a high standard of living, they may not be accumulating much if any wealth, and can even be nearly broke on a net worth accounting. Living in a MacMansion can obviously make one 'house poor,' because paying so large a mortgage can take so much of ones income.

Gayle in MD
06-06-2011, 11:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Soflasnapper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would almost guarantee that the measure used in the article really says almost nothing about total wealth in a county, and that PB County has far more wealth than any of the higher median household income counties. Consider it mentions a 5th place position or so for a very small county in New Mexico on this measure. There simply cannot be as much wealth there as in PB County with its 6 or 7 very wealth areas, despite that the median income is lower here than there.

It's not quite as you say in Palm Beach County, although you are correct that the wealth of Palm Beach isn't matched in most places. However, Jupiter Island may just match it quite close, and then you have many high end enclaves like Palm Beach Gardens, Wellington (horses and polo, for one indicator there), etc. Wiki mentions: With wealthy coastal towns such as Palm Beach, Jupiter, Manalapan, and Boca Raton within its limits, as well as equestrian mecca Wellington and golfing haven Palm Beach Gardens, Palm Beach County is Florida's wealthiest county, with a per capita personal income of $44,518 as of 2004.[3]

But measuring total wealth of a county, all you need are a couple of billionaires and quasi-billionaires, and that total will be very high, although the MEDIAN will not be much changed (the AVERAGE would be, though). And there ARE low end millionaires through to deci- and centi-millionaires to billionaires in all the ritzy neighborhoods and cities I mentioned above. (How'd I originally forget Boca Raton?)

The other thing you need to get a high wealth total is a lot of people in a county adding into that total. PB County has probably 1.5 million people (it's a large area).

Wealth is a different thing than income, although they're related. If you ever looked at Bill Gates' INCOME, you'd underestimate his wealth by orders of magnitude. Having a high income doesn't make anyone wealthy at the end of one year. Plenty of high earners are high spenders and/or in a lot of debt, so while they may enjoy a high standard of living, they may not be accumulating much if any wealth, and can even be nearly broke on a net worth accounting. Living in a MacMansion can obviously make one 'house poor,' because paying so large a mortgage can take so much of ones income. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>Living in a MacMansion can obviously make one 'house poor,' because paying so large a mortgage can take so much of ones income</span>. </div></div>

So true. Many of my so called "Wealthy" friends, ended up walking out leaving keys on the kitchen counters of humongous homes, in Northern Virginia.

Guess that's where that old saying comes from, "The bigger they are, the harder they fall."

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

eg8r
06-06-2011, 12:40 PM
So it doesn't have anything to do with the subject.

eg8r

pooltchr
06-06-2011, 02:24 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

So true. Many of my so called "Wealthy" friends, ended up walking out leaving keys on the kitchen counters of humongous homes, in Northern Virginia.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif </div></div>

So your friends made foolish purchases, and when things caught up to them, they just said screw the bank, and walked away from their obligation to pay back money they borrowed???????

Nice friends you hang around with!!

Steve

eg8r
06-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Boca is my hometown. My family moved away about 25 years ago and I have missed it ever since. Oh well, you have to go where business leads I guess. I absolutey hate Orlando and have always thought it was drab from the beginning. I love the "look and feel" of south Florida but I don't miss the traffic. I was down in Boca a few years ago and noticed that it no longer looks like the beautiful hometown I moved away from. It is now covered with 6 lane highways and huge strip centers everywhere. Inevitable I guess but Boca just is not the same place that I grew up.

I remember when my wife and I were just dating and I went down to visit my grandparents in Boca. She was used to the "rich" in Orlando going to country clubs. I had the wonderful opportunity to introduce her to a Yacht Club. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Man did her eyes open up to what "real" wealth is. There are rich people in Orlando but the real "wealth" is Palm Beach.

eg8r

pooltchr
06-06-2011, 03:05 PM
True, but I think one big difference is the PB county money is old money. These days, it is pretty much common knowledge that a great number of high paying jobs are in DC.

As sofla pointed out there is a difference between wealth and income. If you have wealth, you can go anywhere. If you want income, DC is the place to go.

Steve

eg8r
06-06-2011, 05:31 PM
The Millionair Next Door is a fantastic read on millionaires in the US. The data is about a decade old but I doubt it has changed all that much.

eg8r

Soflasnapper
06-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Back when, supposedly IDAHO (???) had the highest percentage of millionaires, iirc.

From farming? Always found that an astounding statistic (if it was really true, which I never researched).

DickLeonard
06-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Gayle I know Mass has a pretty hgh list of Colleges. Williams # one Liberal arts. George Steinbrenner ia a Alum he wanted to be a sports writer. He was an asst football coach with Lou Sabin at BU and thenwent on to the Buffalo Bills till his father called him home to take over his shipbuilding company.

Harvard # one in the World. I guess their Library is larger than the Library of Congress. My grand daughters Common Room has access to any Paintings,Books in their possesion. I don't even want to mention all the Billionaires that only spent less than a year putting their Ideas together.

MIT for Their Brain Power. My daughter lives across the street from the Noble Prze Winner who shared it with two other MIT Professors. His work was done thirty years before them. They took his idea and expanded on it.

Maryland is close to the Capital so it only stands to reason that the incomers would bring their offspring with them.Dick

LWW
06-07-2011, 04:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Maryland is top in education, for the third year.

Easterners, have always been the biggest job producers, regardless of the size of <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Governmkent</span>.

</div></div>

Would that be the wealthier easterners, or the poor and middle class easterners?

Steve </div></div>

It's a shame they didn't spread the education around.

Gayle in MD
06-07-2011, 05:59 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">True, but I think one big difference is the PB county money is old money. These days, it is pretty much common knowledge that a great number of high paying jobs are in DC.

As sofla pointed out there is a difference between wealth and income. If you have wealth, you can go anywhere. If you want income, DC is the place to go.

Steve </div></div>

<span style="color: #990000">Your ignorance aboout the Washington Metropolitan Area, is stunning.

There are far more private industry jobs, than government jobs.

Northern Virginia, grew tremendously during the dot com era.

Corporations specializing in technology, are everywhere. Corporate Headquarters, not only in Virginia, but in many parts of Maryland, are easily the main reason why jobs in our area, have not fallen to the low levels of other regions.

If you want to know where all of the wealth is going, you'd be far better off to study the effects of The Bush Tax cuts, to which you righties turn a blind eye.

For example:</span>
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/06/patriotic-millionaires-bush-tax-cuts_n_871840.html

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>WASHINGTON -- Paul Egerman isn't certain how many millions he's saved from the tax cuts enacted during the George W. Bush administration in the early 2000s and extended by President Barack Obama in December of last year.

"I do not know how much I've saved over 10 years but I'm sure it is several million dollars -- probably in excess of $10 million," said Egerman, founder of a medical transcription company called eScription.

And what, HuffPost asked, have you done with all that cash?

"I've kept it," he said. "I have not done anything with that money."

Egerman is part of a gang of self-described Patriotic Millionaires who wish the federal government would help itself to more of their money to address its big budget deficits. Nearly 200 millionaires have signed a letter asking congressional Republicans to consider healing budget gaps with increased revenue -- in particular, higher taxes on millionaires -- instead of just reduced spending.

The group is coordinated by the Agenda Project, a New York think tank, and Wealth for the Common Good, a network of business leaders and wealthy people that promotes "fair and adequate taxation" to support the economy.

Other millionaires on a conference call Monday morning said they had more fun with their extra money than Egerman did.

Story continues below
"I probably traveled a little bit more than I otherwise would have," said Frank Patitucci, CEO of NuCompass Mobility Services, a company that offers relocation management services.

"I got a bigger boat than I used to have," said Dennis Mehiel, the founder and chairman of cardboard box manufacturer U.S. Corrugated, Inc. He lamented that the construction of his 150-foot sloop didn't create any jobs for American workers. "The problem is, it was built in Italy."

Dal LaMagna, founder of Tweezerman, said he used his extra money to help the local economy in by adding stuff to his house in the Pacific Northwest.

"I just started creating jobs myself. I built a dance floor in my house -- which I really didn't need," LaMagna said, adding that he also put in a parking lot. "I just became a Dal LaMagna economic stimulus package in Poulsbo, Washington."

HuffPost readers: Got tons of money? More than you need? Tell us what you do with it -- email arthur@huffingtonpost.com. Please include your phone number if you're willing to do an interview.

The tax cuts enacted in 2001 and 2003 overwhelmingly benefited the richest 1 percent of taxpayers, according to the nonpartisan Tax Policy Center, a joint project of the Brookings Institution and the Urban Institute. The progressive Center on Budget and Policy Priorities estimated in 2009 that the tax cuts "added about $1.7 trillion to deficits between 2001 and 2008."

The tax cuts would have expired in January, but President Obama broke a campaign promise and struck a deal with congressional Republicans that reauthorized the cuts for two more years in exchange for one year of extended unemployment benefits, among other things. Tuesday, June 7, is the 10th anniversary of the tax cuts.

Extending them further would result in an extra $68,079 for the average member of the richest one percent of taxpayers in 2013, according to estimates by progressive advocacy group Citizens for Tax Justice.

"If they are fully extended, they will cost five-and-a-half trillion dollars over the coming decade," said CTJ President Bob McIntyre on the conference call.</span>

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=2705

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>Policy Basics: The 2001 and 2003 Tax Cuts
PDF of this Policy Basics (1pp.)

March 5, 2009

The biggest changes in tax policy enacted under President George W. Bush were the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts, often referred to as the “Bush tax cuts” but formally named the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001 and the Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003.
What Are Their Main Features?
The 2001 and 2003 tax cuts reduced the top four marginal income tax rates (see table), as well as the tax rate on capital gains and dividends. They also phased out the estate tax, repealing it entirely in 2010.

In addition, the tax cuts included three components often referred to as “middle-class” tax cuts, though many higher-income families benefit from them as well. One provision created a new bottom income tax rate of 10 percent for some of the income previously taxed at a 15 percent rate. Another provision increased the Child Tax Credit from $500 to $1,000 per child and made many low-income working families eligible for the credit. The third provision was “marriage penalty relief” — a set of changes that reduced taxes for some married couples.

Nearly all of the tax cuts are scheduled to expire at the end of 2010.

How Much Do They Cost?
The 2001 and 2003 tax cuts added about $1.7 trillion to deficits between 2001 and 2008. Because they been financed by borrowing — which increases the national debt — this figure includes the extra interest costs resulting from that additional debt.

This figure also includes the cost of “patching” the Alternative Minimum Tax to keep the tax from hitting millions of upper-middle-class households, a problem the tax cuts helped cause. (See Policy Basics: The Alternative Minimum Tax.)

Over the next decade (2009-2018), making the tax cuts permanent would cost $4.4 trillion, assuming that the tax cuts remain deficit-financed.

Whom Do They Benefit The Most?
A very large share of the value of the tax cuts flows to high-income taxpayers. In fact, the top 1 percent of households — a group with incomes over $450,000 in 2008 — would receive 31 percent of the tax cuts’ benefits over the next ten years if the tax cuts were made permanent.</span>

<span style='font-size: 14pt'><span style="color: #990000"> Social Engineering? Redsitribution of wealth, to the top? Yet, Proof, throughout Bush's tenure, poor to miserable job creation. Count up the jobs lost in the last three monthis of Bush, and add the lost jobs in the first three months of Obama. You'll see for yourself, or probably not!

Obama has created more private sector jobs in two and a half years, than Bush did in eight years, and he has accomplished it in the midst of Bush's DEEP re4cession, near Depression!

Your ignorance is stunning!!!! </span></span>

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

LWW
06-07-2011, 06:05 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_i4JUFEQHDA8/RzSsAVVsdZI/AAAAAAAAADI/IfUt5M-Ygbs/s1600/bb.jpeg

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif </div></div>

Gayle in MD
06-07-2011, 06:14 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle I know Mass has a pretty hgh list of Colleges. Williams # one Liberal arts. George Steinbrenner ia a Alum he wanted to be a sports writer. He was an asst football coach with Lou Sabin at BU and thenwent on to the Buffalo Bills till his father called him home to take over his shipbuilding company.

Harvard # one in the World. I guess their Library is larger than the Library of Congress. My grand daughters Common Room has access to any Paintings,Books in their possesion. I don't even want to mention all the Billionaires that only spent less than a year putting their Ideas together.

MIT for Their Brain Power. My daughter lives across the street from the Noble Prze Winner who shared it with two other MIT Professors. His work was done thirty years before them. They took his idea and expanded on it.

Maryland is close to the Capital so it only stands to reason that the incomers would bring their offspring with them.Dick

</div></div>

Absolutely!

Another reason why so many private corporations are drawn to the D.C. suburbs, is our quality education offered both in Maryland, and in Virginia.

Corporations set up where they will have access to brightest and best educated students.

My daughter, completed her first year of college, before she graduated high school, on the early entry program.

She was then accepted at The College Of William and Mary, you have to be in the top two percent, in the country as an out of state student, to get into William and Mary.

A quick review of the great colleges in the Washington D.C. Region, along with the large number of PRIVATE SECTOR Jobs, and Corporate Headquarters, easily proves why this region is a top job arena.

But, you know how the right likes to twist everything to suit their Screwed up version of reality! I hear they had to clean up and shut down Wikipedia, on the Paul Revere page, to prevent all of the RW Palinban, from re-writing history to protect Palin's obvious ignorance!

LMAO!

LWW
06-07-2011, 06:39 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DickLeonard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle I know Mass has a pretty hgh list of Colleges. Williams # one Liberal arts. George Steinbrenner ia a Alum he wanted to be a sports writer. He was an asst football coach with Lou Sabin at BU and thenwent on to the Buffalo Bills till his father called him home to take over his shipbuilding company.</div></div>

Seriously ... where do you get this shiite from?

George was born in Rocky River Ohio, he attended Culver Military Academy, in Northern Indiana then Williams College in Massachusetts then Ohio State University. He never attended William and Mary.

He served as a graduate assistant to Woody Hayes at Ohio State University, and upon graduation immediately went to work for the family business. He never coached with Lou Saban ... not Sabin ... and he never coached at BU or for the Buffalo Bills. Saban also did not ever coach with any college with the initials of BU.

ANOTHER MYTH DIES (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Saban) OH DEAR! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Steinbrenner)

pooltchr
06-07-2011, 07:55 AM
Gayle,
Yes there are a lot of private companies in the DC area. But one huge reason is the proximity to the central giverment. How many private law firms exist primarily to do giverment work? How many of those private businesses have giverment contracts? (Sorry, Ed, I didn't mean to bring that up) How many of them are there simply to give them easy access to congress for their lobbying efforts? How many of them end up hosting "receptions" for their favorite congressmen? (or for the ones they are hoping will become favorites)

How much of that business conducted in the DC area would be gone, if it weren't for the government?

I lived there. I know how the government seems to show up in nearly every corner of every community in the area.

Steve

eg8r
06-07-2011, 07:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your ignorance aboout the Washington Metropolitan Area, is stunning.

There are far more private industry jobs, than government jobs.

Northern Virginia, grew tremendously during the dot com era.

Corporations specializing in technology, are everywhere. Corporate Headquarters, not only in Virginia, but in many parts of Maryland, are easily the main reason why jobs in our area, have not fallen to the low levels of other regions.

If you want to know where all of the wealth is going, you'd be far better off to study the effects of The Bush Tax cuts, to which you righties turn a blind eye.
</div></div>Your partisanship is clouding your ability to comment on the subject clearly. The article is not political.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: directly from the article</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In recent decades northern Virginia has become an economic dynamo, driven by a private sector that feasts on government contracting. These counties are also home to corporate lobbyists, lawyers and consultants who work in or around the nation's capital, soaking up federal government spending. And government-related hiring manages to keep the unemployment rate in places like Falls Church City down to 5.7%.</div></div>This is not politically driven but rather government driven.

On top of that, your response had nothing to do with pooltchr's actual post. He said if you have old money you are in Palm Beach, if you are looking for high paying jobs you go to the DC area. Refer back to the paragraph that I quoted from the article and you will see that it does not disagree with you or Steve with respect to the funding for those high paying jobs.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-07-2011, 08:23 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle,
Yes there are a lot of private companies in the DC area. But one huge reason is the proximity to the central giverment. How many private law firms exist primarily to do giverment work? How many of those private businesses have giverment contracts? (Sorry, Ed, I didn't mean to bring that up) How many of them are there simply to give them easy access to congress for their lobbying efforts? How many of them end up hosting "receptions" for their favorite congressmen? (or for the ones they are hoping will become favorites)

How much of that business conducted in the DC area would be gone, if it weren't for the government?

I lived there. I know how the government seems to show up in nearly every corner of every community in the area.

Steve </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I lived there. I know how the government seems to show up in nearly every corner of every community in the area.

</div></div>

That's a lie, and as well, it is proof of your ignorance.

How old were you when you left this area, anyway?

Do you really think what you remember from boyhood, is a good reference to what happens here, now?

We have a Department of Justice, and a number of other Federal Government Departments. The lobbyists, on K. St., are from all over the country.

There is no need for any corporation to set up their corporate headquarters here, in order to buy RW reps. Where are the Kock Brothers corporate offices?

You righties need to get your facts straight.

On one hand, you want government to stay out of your lives, on the other, you want to use it to invade every personal, family, decision, from birth control, to abortion, to gay rights, none of which is any of your business.

You can't run a country of this size, without government.

What you people want, is ridiculous.

Yes, there are many government jobs, here.

That does not account for the many private industry jobs, here.

They are here, because both Maryland and Virginia, have higher educational standards. Hence, Maryland is tops, number one, in educational standards, for the last three years, because we make education a top priority.

AND, both Maryland and Virginia, have some of the best colleges in the country.

You totally ignore all of these facts, in your presumptive analysis that ONLY the government, is cause for our jobs, and higher income levels.

Show me a state that doesn't have any government contractors, or government jobs. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Ridiculous!

G.

pooltchr
06-07-2011, 08:27 AM

G. </div></div>

No, but you can certainly run a country without a government of this size!
(and do a better job of it)
But beyond that...is the job of the federal giverment really to "run" the country????????????????
Steve

Gayle in MD
06-07-2011, 08:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

G. </div></div>

No, but you can certainly run a country without a government of this size!
(and do a better job of it)
But beyond that...is the job of the federal giverment really to "run" the country????????????????
Steve </div></div>

Tell it to the Repiglicans, since they're the ones who grow the Federal Government, and support The Military Industrial Congressional Complex, where we see most of the wasted government spending.

And YES, it is the job of the Government to run the country!

Not Corporate America!!!

eg8r
06-07-2011, 09:01 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Show me a state that doesn't have any government contractors, or government jobs. </div></div>Thank you for proving his point. All states have govnerment jobs but very few of them have such great paying jobs and high sustained wealth as those around DC. The data doesn't lie no matter how much you want to shutter your eyes. That entire area is a budding metropolis for one reason and one reason only, getting their hands in the taxpayer funds.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-07-2011, 09:25 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Show me a state that doesn't have any government contractors, or government jobs. </div></div>Thank you for proving his point. All states have govnerment jobs but very few of them have such great paying jobs and high sustained wealth as those around DC. The data doesn't lie no matter how much you want to shutter your eyes. That entire area is a budding metropolis for one reason and one reason only, getting their hands in the taxpayer funds.

eg8r </div></div>

I don't agree, Ed. It is a factor, but I maintain, our educational standards, are just as much a factor, as anything else.

Besides that, the studies show that income levels are roughly the same, for private and public, sectors, when educational levels are taken into consideration.

You guys hate your govenment, and think it should be smaller, when in fact, is take a big government to run a huge country, and while I am all for cutting waste, I believe it is absurd, that a country the size of ours, can be overseen, operationally, by a small government.

However, if your goal is to reduce Government, I suggest you change your voting prefernces since history proves, that Repiglicans are most responsible for growing its size.

G.

pooltchr
06-07-2011, 09:31 AM
But Gayle, the function of government is not to "run" the country. The function of government is to protect the country.

And if the giverment would get the hell out of the business of trying to run the country, the country would be much better off.

Steve

Gayle in MD
06-07-2011, 09:41 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But Gayle, the function of government is not to "run" the country. The function of government is to protect the country.

And if the giverment would get the hell out of the business of trying to run the country, the country would be much better off.

Steve </div></div>

To make such a statement after we all saw what Wall St. did to this country, is proof of stunning ignorance.

Corporations cannot be trusted to regulate themselves, as I have stated here, all along.

If the Crash taught us anything, it surely taught us that much.

Just as eight years of the Bush tax cuts taught us that tax cuts do not lead to higher job creation.

G.

sack316
06-07-2011, 10:00 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle,

Steve </div></div>

Steve, I'm not positive this would be an accurate reflection of the area as a whole since I do not have that data at the moment. But Inc. Magazine did a list of 500 fastest growing private companies about 2 years ago. Over 10% of those were in the DC area (a very strong number). Breakdown of those is as follows:

- 31 government services companies
- 8 IT services enterprises
- 5 business and products services companies
- 1 software firm
- 1 energy company
- 3 security services companies
- 1 telecom company
- 2 financial services firms
- 1 advertising and marketing company
- 1 engineering company
- 1 logistics and transportation companies.

Given that 31 of those 55 companies are exclusively government service companies, and I imagine we can safely assume that at least a portion of the rest have some sort of governmental tie to the business they do (at least in part)... I'd say you bring up a very valid point.

Sack

editing because I forgot to include link, oopsie! Here is the article (http://www.dctechsource.com/fastest_growing_private_companies_are_dc_region_te ch_companies.aspx)

LWW
06-07-2011, 10:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But Gayle, the function of government is not to "run" the country. The function of government is to protect the country.

Steve </div></div>

To make such a statement after we all saw what Wall St. did to this country, is proof of stunning ignorance.

Corporations cannot be trusted to regulate themselves, as I have stated here, all along.

If the Crash taught us anything, it surely taught us that much.

Just as eight years of the Bush tax cuts taught us that tax cuts do not lead to higher job creation.

G. </div></div>

Put that fly over bubba in his place Charlotte ... splain it to him how the state is, IYNSHO, omnipotent ... omnipresent ... omniscient ... and headed by <span style='font-size: 11pt'>"a leader that God has blessed us with at this time.”</span> as Comradette Pelosi has told us.

Gayle in MD
06-07-2011, 11:44 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gayle,

Steve </div></div>

Steve, I'm not positive this would be an accurate reflection of the area as a whole since I do not have that data at the moment. But Inc. Magazine did a list of 500 fastest growing private companies about 2 years ago. Over 10% of those were in the DC area (a very strong number). Breakdown of those is as follows:

- 31 government services companies
- 8 IT services enterprises
- 1 software firm
- 1 energy company
- 1 telecom company
- 1 engineering company

Given that 31 of those 55 companies are exclusively government service companies, and I imagine we can safely assume that at least a portion of the rest have some sort of governmental tie to the business they do (at least in part)... I'd say you bring up a very valid point.

Sack

editing because I forgot to include link, oopsie! Here is the article (http://www.dctechsource.com/fastest_growing_private_companies_are_dc_region_te ch_companies.aspx) </div></div>

That article is absurd on its face, IMO..

Fastest growing? Do you think, "Fastest Growing" even begins to address all of the corporate venues in this area?

How many of each of these, do you think are in this area?

8 IT services enterprises
- 1 software firm
- 1 energy company
- 1 telecom company
- 1 engineering company

Not to mention, Washington D.C. enjoys not only a very popular tourist industry, but is a magnet for the ARTS, as well.

Location, location, location.

I am not suggesting that government isn't a draw, for business, but I thought you righties were all for the profits in the public sector???

This area is unique, in it's natural beauty, and boasting one of the most popular sailing regions in the country, in the largest Estuary in the United States, and with some of the very best colleges, in the world, and among the least impacted by natural disasters.

Historically, it is one of the most visited regions in the nation.

You guys can cherry pick, but government, is not the soul source of the good jobs market here. And fastest gorwing does not mean exclusively existing on government contracts.

For example, and this is just one, the U.S. patent office, which I would say is one of the draws for Law Firms, and a necessary govenment agency, draws many attorney's to this region.

There are many, many reasons, why corporations choose this area for their operations, aside from the Federal Government.

And why are all from the right just fine with giving away billions in subsidies to energy corporations, from government tax dollars, but not for other enterprises?

I find this entier thread, absurd beyond belief.

G.

eg8r
06-07-2011, 12:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">George was born in Rocky River Ohio, he attended Culver Military Academy, in Northern Indiana then Williams College in Massachusetts then Ohio State University. He never attended William and Mary.
</div></div>Where in Dick's post did he say William and Mary? I do see his first two sentences reference Mass and Williams which seem to agree with your post where you mention Williams College in Mass. I just don't see where Dick said anything about William and Mary.

eg8r

eg8r
06-07-2011, 12:36 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not suggesting that government isn't a draw, for business, but I thought you righties were all for the profits in the public sector???
</div></div>I sure am. And I have no problem admitting that these private companies earn a profit using government money and that the best place to get your hand in the cookie jar is right there in the DC area. All the data proves it.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-07-2011, 12:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">George was born in Rocky River Ohio, he attended Culver Military Academy, in Northern Indiana then Williams College in Massachusetts then Ohio State University. He never attended William and Mary.
</div></div>Where in Dick's post did he say William and Mary? I do see his first two sentences reference Mass and Williams which seem to agree with your post where you mention Williams College in Mass. I just don't see where Dick said anything about William and Mary.

eg8r </div></div>

You are right.

Dick didn't say anything about The College Of William And Mary.

G.

eg8r
06-07-2011, 12:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't agree, Ed. It is a factor, but I maintain, our educational standards, are just as much a factor, as anything else.
</div></div>Education would be a much minor factor when talking about the people we are talking about. The primary factor would be income. People flock to areas with high income. Once they make the decision to move there their secondary objectives to look at are crime and education. Both play a vital role in the final resting spot but neither play a major role in the decision to pick up move there.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-07-2011, 12:41 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not suggesting that government isn't a draw, for business, but I thought you righties were all for the profits in the public sector???
</div></div>I sure am. And I have no problem admitting that these private companies earn a profit using government money and that the best place to get your hand in the cookie jar is right there in the DC area. All the data proves it.

eg8r </div></div>

Do you think that corporations who seek Government Contracts, do ONLY government work?

Does your company do ONLY government Contracting?

They're located in Florida, no?

My point, it isn't necessary to locate in Washington D.C. in order to contract with the Federal Government.

g.

eg8r
06-07-2011, 12:56 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think that corporations who seek Government Contracts, do ONLY government work?

</div></div>Absolutely not which is what I was tryign to tell you in another thread where you kept acting like my paycheck comes from the taxpayer slush fund when in all reality not a dime of the work I currently do has to do with a single government contract.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>Heck no, headquarters is Bethesda, MD. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Sounds like the area we are talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point, it isn't necessary to locate in Washington D.C. in order to contract with the Federal Government.
</div></div>You are correct, however the data suggests that is your best bet to land the money quickly.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-07-2011, 01:07 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you think that corporations who seek Government Contracts, do ONLY government work?

</div></div>Absolutely not which is what I was tryign to tell you in another thread where you kept acting like my paycheck comes from the taxpayer slush fund when in all reality not a dime of the work I currently do has to do with a single government contract.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>Heck no, headquarters is Bethesda, MD. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Sounds like the area we are talking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My point, it isn't necessary to locate in Washington D.C. in order to contract with the Federal Government.
</div></div>You are correct, however the data suggests that is your best bet to land the money quickly.

eg8r </div></div>

It is a good area, for business, government contracting, and otherwise, IMO.

Few do ONLY Government contracting, IMO. That was my point.

G.
G.

sack316
06-07-2011, 01:23 PM

Fastest growing? Do you think, "Fastest Growing" even begins to address all of the corporate venues in this area?
</div></div>

What is absurd about the article? It posts data and information and in fact compliments the DC area:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The numbers and performance by DC area technology companies are staggering. </div></div>

It also mentions that the growth of government service industry is a national trend simply reflected by the DC area growth trend.

It doesn't say this is good or bad, it just shows growth and where growth is occurring. What's "absurd" about that?

Sack

Gayle in MD
06-07-2011, 01:28 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

What is absurd about the article? It posts data and information and in fact compliments the DC area:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The numbers and performance by DC area technology companies are staggering. </div></div>

It also mentions that the growth of government service industry is a national trend simply reflected by the DC area growth trend.

It doesn't say this is good or bad, it just shows growth and where growth is occurring. What's "absurd" about that?

Sack
</div></div>

I think most of those high growth corporations, do more than JUST Government contracting.

That is why I am saying, there are other amenities, and advantages, for corporations to set up here, than JUST government Contracting, and most of them do more than JUST government work.

G.

sack316
06-07-2011, 01:33 PM
I think most of those high growth corporations, do more than JUST Government contracting.

That is why I am saying, there are other amenities, and advantages, for corporations to set up here, than JUST government Contracting, and most of them do more than JUST government work.

G. </div></div>

I'm sure they do, in 24 of those 55 companies. Really those 24 companies could have no business at all with government for all I know... I just happen to believe it is a safe assumption that a portion of those do at least have a little business with government... and I readily admit that is only an assumption that could be completely wrong. And even if so, fact still remains that 31 of those 55 companies are considered "government services companies".

Sack

Gayle in MD
06-07-2011, 01:44 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sack316</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

G. </div></div>

I'm sure they do, in 24 of those 55 companies. Really those 24 companies could have no business at all with government for all I know... I just happen to believe it is a safe assumption that a portion of those do at least have a little business with government... and I readily admit that is only an assumption that could be completely wrong. And even if so, fact still remains that 31 of those 55 companies are considered "government services companies".

Sack </div></div>

And I am simply stating that Government services companies, do not always exist on nothing BUT government work, which the article suggests, in an assumption that they are growing, solely because Government is growing.

the fact is that business is growing in this area, not ONLY because of government.

There are many corporations here, that do government work, and other work, as well.

And, there are many who do NO GOVERNMENT work, at all.

A company in this region, IOW, is not solely dependent on the Federal Government, for growth.

G.

G.

pooltchr
06-07-2011, 01:45 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

eg8r [/quote]

As many times as she has embarrassed herself on here shooting from the hip, I would have thought she might have done the google on that one before posting! But I'm really surprised that since she is the resident expert on all things Maryland, that she didn't know that.

Steve

Gayle in MD
06-07-2011, 01:55 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

eg8r </div></div>

As many times as she has embarrassed herself on here shooting from the hip, I would have thought she might have done the google on that one before posting! But I'm really surprised that since she is the resident expert on all things Maryland, that she didn't know that.

Steve [/quote]

I have never "Embarrassed myself" here, nor anywhere else.

You're the one with no appreciation for your own ridiculous statements, and false assumptions.

"He who knows not, and knows not, that he knows not, is a fool."

FYI!

pooltchr
06-07-2011, 02:55 PM

FYI! </div></div>

Actually.....it appears you just did!

Steve

eg8r
06-07-2011, 03:13 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And I am simply stating that Government services companies, do not always exist on nothing BUT government work,</div></div>Instead of guessing just look them up and see if the majority of the work is government related. My guess is absolutely. It is very hard to secure government work and it is very costly to comply to the demands required of such contracts. Most small companies that do government work generally live and die by the contract awarded. My experienced bet is if these companies are small to medium sized and they won a government contract than you can bet dollars to donuts that government money represents greater than 50% of the company's revenue.

eg8r

eg8r
06-07-2011, 03:25 PM
I get your point now (it took a while to get it out of you) but as mentioned in another comment the sheer cost of doing business with the government generally decides how much work an independant firm is doing outside of their gov't work. The overwhelming majority can not afford to compete with defense contractors for even the smallest of jobs so they are mainly subs on a program. The requirements we flow down to a supplier are tremendously expensive and prohibitive if the majority of the work being done is for non-government work. Look up the costs for getting AS9100 certified, special process certifications, etc. On top of getting certified you then have to pass an annual audit by a third party firm in addition to any source surveillance audits my company might run. Keeping on the straight and narrow is very expensive and non-government jobs for the most part don't pay enough to keep these certifications active. Many medium sized companies do outside work but I gaurantee you if they live and die by their government programs.

eg8r

Gayle in MD
06-08-2011, 03:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And I am simply stating that Government services companies, do not always exist on nothing BUT government work,</div></div>Instead of guessing just look them up and see if the majority of the work is government related. My guess is absolutely. It is very hard to secure government work and it is very costly to comply to the demands required of such contracts. Most small companies that do government work generally live and die by the contract awarded. My experienced bet is if these companies are small to medium sized and they won a government contract than you can bet dollars to donuts that government money represents greater than 50% of the company's revenue.

eg8r </div></div>

Well that's interesting, Ed, but my Father had a printing plant, the largest in Washington D.C. and he did a lot of government work, but it was surely not even the majority of his business.

While that was a long time ago, IMO, there is far more going on in contracting, and business, in this area, than just Government Contracts, both in Maryland and Virginia.

G.

LWW
06-08-2011, 04:52 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gayle in MD</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pooltchr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: eg8r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

eg8r </div></div>

Steve </div></div>

You're the one with no appreciation for your own ridiculous statements, and false assumptions.

"He who knows not, and knows not, <span style="color: #3366FF">&lt;--- PRECEDING COMMA IS INAPPROPRIATE</span> that he knows not, is a fool."

FYI! [/quote]

You don't even know how to use the quote function or a spellchecker.

I also fixed your latest error, no charge.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'><u>FYI:</u></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."</span>
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>-Abraham Lincoln-</span> </div></div>

pooltchr
06-08-2011, 07:09 AM
Well that's interesting, Ed, but my Father had a printing plant, the largest in Washington D.C. and he did a lot of government work, but it was surely not even the majority of his business.

While that was a long time ago, IMO, there is far more going on in contracting, and business, in this area, than just Government Contracts, both in Maryland and Virginia.

G. </div></div>

Let's think about that for just a minute. If I own a printing company, and two of my biggest customers are General Dynamics and Lockheed Martin, technically, I'm not doing government work. But, were it not for the work they are doing for the government, I probably wouldn't have their business.

OMG....that almost sounds like the business is actually trickling down!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve