PDA

View Full Version : One Pocket Help Wanted

PQQLK9
09-15-2002, 07:03 AM
As an aspiring struggling One Pocket enthusiast I would appreciate any tips and advice anyone could offer to help me to improve my game. I would like to hear some ideas on stragety, game plans, moves and do's and don't. I have found that when I sucessfully break my opponents serve I am usually in pretty good shape for the opening stage of the game. I also seem to try and send the balls up table pretty quick in the game using draw to hold the CB near the short rail between the center diamond and his/her pocket. Any good ideas out there...help make me better...thanks

OnePocketChamp
09-15-2002, 08:15 AM
You have to obtain the proper chess mindset when playing a game of one hole. Study your opponents moves, by this I mean does he show any predictable shot patterns, discover his weakess shot ability and maybe most important try to anticipate his next shot (because this where you will have to shoot from). The absolutely utmost important segment of good one hole is the control you maintain over "whitey".
OH, another point to consider is your success in making the spot shot, in a practice drill can you make the spot shot 10 out of 15 attempts? If not, then practice, practice, practice because this can win many end games in one hole.
Hope this short reply helps you, now go pick your next game and have fun.

NH_Steve
09-15-2002, 08:43 AM
Try this method of playing the spot shot when it's your game ball & position is not an issue. I find it has a lot less sell out potential than shooting the spotshot conventionally.

START(
%AO0O5%IV4D9%Ph3E3%UP5N4%Vg3E5%YC8Z8%ZN5P0%eB5b5%f 6%g7%_G5D8
%`J9K6%aN9N6%bE7K5%cF5F3%dG0C8
)END

<a target="_blank" href=http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html>WEI table shortcut</a>

09-15-2002, 02:47 PM
Hi PQQLK9,
Always know, and play the count. The count is the score. For example, if you are ahead of someone you play even with by two balls, you have 25% of the game already won. Move balls up table, tying them up and play your opponent out ball for ball. Do your best to never leave your opponent a shot, be patient and protect the lead.

Vapros
09-15-2002, 05:10 PM
When you're not on the attack, and looking for something useful to do with your shot, always try to imagine what the table will look like to your opponent,when your shot is over. Will he like it, and see something painful to do to you? If so, you might want to look further.

PQQLK9
09-16-2002, 03:56 PM
Thanks to all...

Tom_In_Cincy
09-16-2002, 04:49 PM
First.. always look for an offensive shot.. (Look.. consider the consequences..like, selling out if you miss)
Second..
Position the cue ball where your opponent has to move balls towards your pocket
Third,
When you have a chance to move balls towards your pocket, take it. (banking a ball into the stack that will combo balls to your side of the table)

On the break, try to leave the cue ball on our opponents side of the rack, between the 2nd and 3rd diamond. This keeps them from playing the cue ball off one of the balls near your pocket and leaving you with the cue ball in front of your pocket.

And,, if you can.. get Bill Incardona's video on One Pocket.. its great..

NH_Steve
09-16-2002, 07:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>
When you have a chance to move balls towards your pocket, take it...<hr></blockquote>
Tom, I would add a caution, though -- You've got to be able to protect against a return bank when you "move balls towards your pocket", otherwise you're going to get beat unnecessarilly many, many times. If what you are doing is moving balls, not taking a clean shot to your pocket, you've got to try to get the protection in place as a priority -- even if it means moving less balls over to the "good" side!!!

i.e. A little threat on your side combined with a lock down safety is better than a big threat that leaves your opponent a clean bank -- IMHO

Tom_In_Cincy
09-16-2002, 08:16 PM
Steve..

You are absolutely correct.... good point and finish.
One Pocket is a "forced" thinking game.. figuring the offensive ploy and still protecting the table layout has got to be one of the most educational parts of this fine game... it can be taken to any game.. and be used.. and you have to be able to think this way on amost EVERY shot.

Free Wheeling in One Pocket is not recommended.. but I have seen some really good players win... this way.. more than lose.

09-17-2002, 12:23 AM
Thoughts on playing:
- don't always shoot the obvious shot. Sometimes there are shots that really tie-up your opponent, but are hidden since they are not usually used in other pocket billiard games. There has been many a time that I will come up with a different and better shot, if I allow myself not to always jump to an obvious shot.

- sometimes it is beneficial to actually miss a shot and leave the object ball by your pocket. If your opponent does not clear the ball, you can run.

- When behind, play like a lion. When ahead, play like a lamb. (Ronnie Allen quote)

- Find and practice the 2-rail, and 3-rail bank shots. These are wonderfully depicted in "upscale one-pocket" by Koehler. He discribes memorizing banking "zones", which can be memorized by diamond location. Pretty good book, all in all.

- all other things equal....distance is your friend, when leaving your opponent a long shot.

- Look for and utilize the intentional scratch occasionally. I've won many a game by intentionally moving the cueball to a part of the table and taking a foul (owe a ball). If you put your opponent in a rough spot, that previous foul may pay big dividends for only the price of a ball.
-
- Always think offensive, but with a defensive mindset. The very best one-pocket players keep their opponent on the defensive. When playing a great player, it may never seem that you are taking an offensive shot. Strive to take shots where your opponent is mostly concerned with just getting balls away from your pocket. Great offensive shots often move more than one ball toward the pocket (known as herding).

- learn how to really "lag" balls (both non-banks and banks).

- practice "fanning balls" (barely hitting them with the cue ball). Seems sorta funny, but will pay dividends in this game

- In the early game, be diligent about protecting your "money balls" with what remains of the rack. ie- don't let your opponent see open balls by your pocket.

Lastly, read some of the few books on the subject and view any accustats that you can find.

Regards,

Doug

NH_Steve
09-17-2002, 05:03 AM
Nothing wrong with 'going' when you like your chances on a shot &amp; you have more to gain...
If the score is right for the shot...
If it's not going to lead to a trap for yourself!

PQQLK9
09-17-2002, 10:11 AM
I'm getting some Great advice......the following is a quote from Eddie Robin's &lt;Winning One Pocket&gt;

"Of all the games that can be played on a pool, billiard, or snooker table, the game of one-pocket is obviously the most stragetic. Many a sharp-shooting nine-ballplayer, upon trying his or her hand at one-pocket, has failed miserably against an otherwise far weaker opponent who understood the basic strategies of this game".