PDA

View Full Version : November 5, 2003: Medicare Privatization Debate

Qtec
06-07-2011, 03:15 AM
November 5, 2003: A Great Medicare Privatization Debate (http://crooksandliars.com/karoli/november-5-2003-rep-sherrod-brown-speaks-me)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the aspects of the current Medicare debate that just drives me crazy is how the Beltway pundits treat it as <u>"bold, new, and courageous." </u>I've written a lot on that particular frame in the past, but I ran across something tonight that reminds me of just how not-new it really is.

During the Medicare Advantage debate, Sherrod Brown said this, as recorded in the Congressional Record:

[Privatization] has really been the thrust. From President Bush to the gentleman from California (Mr. Thomas) to Speaker Gingrich a few years ago, to back in 1965 <u>Republicans really wanted this system turned over to the insurance companies. Privatize Medicare and give it to the insurance industry.</u> Go back to 1965, out of roughly 200 Republican Members of the House and Senate, <u>only 23 voted for the creation of Medicare.</u> <span style='font-size: 11pt'>Gerald Ford</span> in 1965, a future President,<u> voted against it.</u> <span style='font-size: 11pt'>Congressman Dole,</span> future Senator Dole, Republican Presidential candidate, <u>voted against it.</u> <span style='font-size: 11pt'>Senator Strom Thurmond</span> <u>voted against the creation of Medicare.</u> Congressman Donald Rumsfeld in 1965, later Secretary of Defense and the architect of this plan, I put in quotation marks, of the rebuilding of Iraq, voted against the creation of Medicare.

Then in 1995, the first time Republicans had an opportunity to do something about Medicare, the Republicans under Speaker Gingrich tried to cut it by $270 billion in order to give a tax cut to the most privileged Americans, the same old story. <span style='font-size: 14pt'>Speaker Gingrich said in October 1995 that he hoped Medicare would wither on the vine. </span>

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Gosh, that sure sounds familiar.</span> But wait, there's more, from Rep. Cardoza:</div></div>

The Ryan Plan............You can put lipstick on a pig.............

Q

LWW
06-07-2011, 05:09 AM
So what's the Ryan Plan all about?