PDA

View Full Version : BCA leagues - your opinion

Karatemom
09-15-2002, 11:46 AM
This Tuesday is the first meeting for our 2002-2003 fall BCA leagues. This would be my first time joining a league so I'm not so sure what to expect from the league or the meeting. There are a few reasons why I want to join the league: playing with people other than my son, LOL; improving my game; and qualifying for Vegas next year. This particular league travels between two different ph's, which is nice when you have to haul a 10 year old around. This is a plus for me. Any opinions you might have regarding this would be helpful, as it would at least give me some knowledge going in to the meeting Tuesday. Chris has explained some of it, but like any good wife, I never listen to him /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif, j/k.

Thanks ahead of time.

Heide ~ BTW, Chris is feeling much better!!

9 Ball Girl
09-15-2002, 11:56 AM
Hi Heide. I too belong to a BCA league. As a matter of fact, our first game/meeting of the Fall season is this Wednesday. Playing in leagues is good in that you get to play different people at different levels. My league here in NY plays on barboxes so that's another odyssey of its own. /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif I used to play on an APA league 3 years ago and I prefer the game rules of the BCA instead. The only thing that I'm not too crazy about but live with is that the BCA is in round robin format whereas the APA you play races. Good luck and keep us posted on how you do!

09-15-2002, 12:16 PM
i've been playing leagues for several years now and generally think it's a real good way to develop your game and meet new people.

not all leagues, however, are equal. both mine are bca. well,sorta. one uses bca format and rules but is trophies and stix only(clicks). that's my recreational league. the other one is pure b.c.a. and sends six teams to vegas every year. very competitive. it's generally considered the toughest league in town. (cornbreads)

a teammate also plays an a.p.a. league where he has joined as the designated "3". he's making an art for outta 3 cushion carom scratches. it's funny to some of us because he is known in our part of town as pretty dangerous. streaky but subject to run several racks any time. seems the a.p.a. folks are just used to this kind of stuff and the team he is on is a guranteed vegas trip.

in any event, i think you'll probably enjoy bca league. by the way, if you don't already have a rule book then get one. you'll need it.

dan

Karatemom
09-15-2002, 12:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> by the way, if you don't already have a rule book then get one. you'll need it.

dan <hr></blockquote>

Thanks, Dan. Chris has got one. Looks like I'll be doing some reading over the next few days /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif.

Heide

Karatemom
09-15-2002, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> The only thing that I'm not too crazy about but live with is that the BCA is in round robin format whereas the APA you play races. Good luck and keep us posted on how you do! <hr></blockquote>

I would prefer races as well, however, I've never played round robin before. It does help though that the Monday night tourneys I play in use BCA rules, so at least I'm familiar with that part of it /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif.

Heide

09-15-2002, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Karatemom:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: houstondan:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; by the way, if you don't already have a rule book then get one. you'll need it.

dan &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

oh, and i should mention; don't rely on that little black and green book they hand out to league players. they left out a lot of stuff and some parts are dead wrong. where they talk about hitting the 8 first on an 8-ball open table(bih-foul) they forgot to delete an old conflitcing part and it does not have the new stuff about when some games actually begin (crossing head string vs tipon c.b.). honestly, you should be able to rely on the team capt. for that stuff but god bless the child what's got his own.

enjoy

dan...oh, also, ask about "local interpretations" like not calling push or double kiss shots.

09-16-2002, 02:39 AM
I think BCA is better for your game than APA. Good luck to you and hope you learn a lot!!!

griffith_d
09-16-2002, 06:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: houstondan:</font><hr> &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: Karatemom:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; &lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote: houstondan:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr&gt; by the way, if you don't already have a rule book then get one. you'll need it.

dan &lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

oh, and i should mention; don't rely on that little black and green book they hand out to league players. they left out a lot of stuff and some parts are dead wrong. where they talk about hitting the 8 first on an 8-ball open table(bih-foul) they forgot to delete an old conflitcing part and it does not have the new stuff about when some games actually begin (crossing head string vs tipon c.b.). honestly, you should be able to rely on the team capt. for that stuff but god bless the child what's got his own.

enjoy

dan...oh, also, ask about "local interpretations" like not calling push or double kiss shots.

<hr></blockquote>

HoustonDan

What part of town are you in?

Do you play at the Cornbreads on 290?

Griff

09-16-2002, 08:35 AM
&lt;hr&gt;&lt;/blockquote&gt;

HoustonDan

What part of town are you in?

Do you play at the Cornbreads on 290?

Griff <hr></blockquote>

i'm in far northwest past willowbrook. usually hit clicks @ 290 and hollister or cornbreads at the beltway and westheimer. where is a 'breads on 290??

dan

Amanda
09-16-2002, 08:53 AM
I play in both BCA and APA leagues. Aside from the format of being round robin I much prefer BCA. Why?
1. It's a money league, everyone gets money at the end.
2. Over all we have a higher skill level of players, better competition
3. Less sandbagging!
4. And of course better opportunities for Vegas
We also have TAP in this area, and you think APA has a sandbagging problem?
Best of luck to you in starting with your new league! Tonite (monday) is our second night of the new session so its straight to the pool hall from work today, come to think of it, thats 3 days a week for me. Is not just a sport, its an addiction!
Amanda

Karatemom
09-16-2002, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Amanda:</font><hr> I play in both BCA and APA leagues. Aside from the format of being round robin I much prefer BCA. Why?
1. It's a money league, everyone gets money at the end.
2. Over all we have a higher skill level of players, better competition
3. Less sandbagging!
4. And of course better opportunities for Vegas
We also have TAP in this area, and you think APA has a sandbagging problem?
Best of luck to you in starting with your new league! Tonite (monday) is our second night of the new session so its straight to the pool hall from work today, come to think of it, thats 3 days a week for me. Is not just a sport, its an addiction!
Amanda <hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the info Amanda. Although earning some cash back in the end would be nice, it's not a major plus for me. Believe me, if I cared about the money, I wouldn't be shooting pool, LOL. I love a challenge though, so shooting with more experienced players is something I look forward to.

Boy, 3 days a week. I'll be up to 2 when leagues start. Mondays are the local tourneys and then leagues on Tuesdays. I get off work at 12:30 p.m., so I won't have to rush from work to shoot; would hate to have to do that. I do agree with you: it's not just a sport, it is an addiction.

Thanks,

Heide

Karatemom
09-16-2002, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Art:</font><hr> I think BCA is better for your game than APA. Good luck to you and hope you learn a lot!!! <hr></blockquote>

Don't know the difference between the BCA and APA, but as far as I know, we don't have an APA league out here, or at least one that I'm willing to travel to. I'm not terribly familiar with the BCA leagues either, but that one seems to be more recognized out here.

Heide

Amanda
09-16-2002, 11:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Karatemom:</font><hr>
Thanks for the info Amanda. Although earning some cash back in the end would be nice, it's not a major plus for me. Believe me, if I cared about the money, I wouldn't be shooting pool, LOL. I love a challenge though, so shooting with more experienced players is something I look forward to.

Boy, 3 days a week. I'll be up to 2 when leagues start. Mondays are the local tourneys and then leagues on Tuesdays. I get off work at 12:30 p.m., so I won't have to rush from work to shoot; would hate to have to do that. I do agree with you: it's not just a sport, it is an addiction.

Thanks,

Heide <hr></blockquote>

Oh the 3 days a week is just my weekdays, I also play a local tournament on Sundays unless of course there is a CAT tour or Planet Pool tournament to play in. Aside from that I also try to get out thursday and/or Saturday to play/practice, friday is my day off from pool.....well most fridays /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif

Karatemom
09-16-2002, 01:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Amanda:</font><hr>
Oh the 3 days a week is just my weekdays, I also play a local tournament on Sundays unless of course there is a CAT tour or Planet Pool tournament to play in. Aside from that I also try to get out thursday and/or Saturday to play/practice, friday is my day off from pool.....well most fridays /ccboard/images/icons/wink.gif
<hr></blockquote>

Geez, I thought I was busy /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif. I don't get to shoot during the week, except for Monday and soon Tuesday evenings. One day of the weekend, I try to get out for the whole day and shoot, then the other day I have to do my housework. I wish I had that much time to put into this game.

Heide

Fred Agnir
09-16-2002, 01:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Karatemom:</font><hr>Any opinions you might have regarding this would be helpful, as it would at least give me some knowledge going in to the meeting Tuesday.<hr></blockquote>
I think for newish players (new to leagues), the BCA round-robin format is a nicer introduction to leagues. There's less pressure on each individual as each round is a cumulative team score.

Bear in mind that any BCA-sanctioned league is free to choose whatever format they want, including an APA-style. The handicapping isn't standard for the BCA. Such as it is, the National BCA tournament is non-handicapped also.

I'm of the opinion that playing leagues is an excellent way to put yourself into competitive play. Unlike a tournament, you're assured of not going two-and-out. I think you're doing the right thing.

Fred

Karatemom
09-16-2002, 01:53 PM
Thanks Fred. I always value your input. I am looking very forward to tomorrow night's meeting to see what's in store for me. The leagues start up in October and get all happy just thinking about it, /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif.

As for going two-and-out, the last time I did that, I got so mad at myself that the next week, I came back and took it off. I do feel though that I might somehow let the team down should I lose a game. I suppose this is a normal feeling, until I start feeling more comfortable with it.

Thanks again, Fred.

Heide