PDA

View Full Version : "Disneyland"...pool style!

Scott Lee
09-15-2002, 11:55 AM
I have enjoyed the distinct priviledge of teaching students in,and around Des Moines, IA for the past few days, within the confines of Pool Disneyland! My friend, Rick Golden, who just happens to have a cue collection that FAR exceeds ANY I have ever seen...graciously offered the use of his "poolroom"...LOL There isn't ONE of us here that wouldn't lay down and die to have this man's dream layout! In a huge 30 x 60 custom-built room, Rick has two full size Diamond Pro's, one with the tour spec pockets. He has another Diamond SmartTable that should be here anytime. An enormous 72" TV setup is perfect for watching pool videos, or any sporting event. Naturally, Rick has a full bar setup, and a fridge full of drinks. Surrounding all this faboulous pool environment, are HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of pool cues and pool balls, and pool artifacts...many unique, and one-of-a-kind. The cues alone, are unbelievable...from rare old Balabushkas and Szambotis (plus the largest Palmer collection in the U.S.) to beautiful cues from every famous, and many not so famous, cuemakers. To be able to say, "Hey Rick, can I hit a couple with a Schick (or any other name you could think of)?", and to have him pull out 3 and say, "Which one?"...LOL That's FUN!

Unbelievably, Des Moines, a city of 350K+, has NO poolroom.
They have a couple of good pool bars, but NO poolroom. There are, however, several good players, and one very strong player, who posts here often. Mike Athens is a very gifted player, with an extensive knowledge of the game, and the stroke. Mike contacted me, asking about lessons, and offering to help arrange some others among his friends. So I will happily enjoy playing pool and teaching this week, here in Des Moines. To anyone considering opening up a poolroom in a city...consider Des Moines. Pool is HUGE here, with hundreds of league teams, and plenty of potential participants.

I also had the pleasure of working with Karla Chorney a few days ago. This woman is definitely a fine player, who is playing some of the best pool in her life. Hopefully, she will catch a break and make it to the top! I think some of the things we worked on will help her do that! BTW...if you are an Elk, they have one of the best Elk's Club poolrooms in the country, in Waterloo! Beautiful, old Brunswicks, perfectly maintained. Karla and her busband, Tom (who runs the poolroom), can be seen playing in midwest scotch doubles events...and Karla posted two '2nd's out her last two singles tournaments, so she is due!

Scott Lee

09-16-2002, 12:29 AM
Big headed, egotistical...

09-16-2002, 01:01 AM
I can see Art sitting at his computer, with his stick in one hand and his other on the keyboard just waiting for Scott to post something so he can post his own ignorance. Keep up the good work Art, you idiot.

TomBrooklyn
09-16-2002, 01:13 AM
Hey art, your in the wrong forum. Go to the other place.
=TB=

09-16-2002, 01:54 AM
Nice of you to assume that I'm male.

SpiderMan
09-16-2002, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> the largest Palmer collection in the U.S
Scott Lee <hr></blockquote>

Scott,

How many Palmers does Rick have? Randy Goattlicher has about 900, by his own accounting 5 years ago.

SpiderMan

Fred Agnir
09-16-2002, 02:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> (plus the largest Palmer collection in the U.S.) <hr></blockquote>
Larger than Randy Goettlicher's collection?
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr>
Unbelievably, Des Moines, a city of 350K+, has NO poolroom.
<hr></blockquote>
Are these all pool bars?

http://www.playpool.com/finders/cgi/poolhall_usa.cgi

Fred

Scott Lee
09-16-2002, 05:17 PM
Spiderman...I could be mistaken, but I think you might have misunderstood Randy. Rick has purchased many of Randy's "better" Palmers, and he (Rick) still only has somewhere around 200.

Scott

Scott Lee
09-16-2002, 05:20 PM
Fred...Yes, there are several pool bars, one with 10 tables, and another with 25+ (but too many kids), but there are NO 9 foot tables to be had anywhere in town. Most of the big table players go north to Ames, to play in the poolroom up there.

Scott

Chris Cass
09-16-2002, 05:37 PM
Hi Scott,

I have to agree 100% about Karla Chorney. She is an excellent player. I watched her play a few times and can say without a doubt this Kid can play. The only thing she's lacking as far as I saw was, the smile when she plays. This woman means business when that cues in her hands. LOL A great looking cue I might add! Great job Jer.

Mike Athens has made a great name for his self out here in the midwest. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him but will sooner or later at Oleathe, KS. I'm only looking forward to meeting him, not playing him in the tourney. LOL He like me has a pool playing family. Many Kudos for both of these up and coming champions.

Regards,

C.C.~~looking forward to catching up with Scott sometime. sorry for not replying to the email, was incompasitated.

09-16-2002, 07:51 PM
hey Fred, on the playpool.com list.
1. The building that McCoys was in was sold out from under him. that was in march, the last of the 9 footers
2. Loco Joes has 3 nickel arcades (35 tables takes 8 nickels nothing but kids from 12-22 year olds, lots of fights, used to have good tourneys but now they run 2 tourneys a week, get this 2 bucks to get in the door, 5 bucks for the tourney and only 75% payback
3. 63rd St. billiards was only open a year about 5 bartables and under funded. they didn't last long and have been closed a year.
4. cafe di vang had a shooting a couple years ago. um I have never been there and the other oriental sounding one I have never heard of but the address leaves alot to be desired.

the only big tables in the whole town at a place of business is at Rock Bottom Brew Pub. And they only let people on the waiting list play.

so we have got it bad for a pool hall.

Elvis
09-16-2002, 09:28 PM
Ames is where I am headed to play leagues this year. Just a nice little 60-70 mile drive. It beats anything they have around here. You really gotta love the game some times.

Rod
09-16-2002, 10:00 PM
Scott, have fun in heaven while it lasts. It really sounds like a beautiful room. If he has a bunch of Palmers maybe I could get one identified. I've seen a lot of them but never one exactly like this or the weight screw. You lucky dog, have fun.

SpiderMan
09-16-2002, 10:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Scott Lee:</font><hr> Spiderman...I could be mistaken, but I think you might have misunderstood Randy. Rick has purchased many of Randy's "better" Palmers, and he (Rick) still only has somewhere around 200.

Scott <hr></blockquote>

Scott,

I'm sure that's what he said. If you do a search on Google, you'll see that Randy posted that number several times on RSB back in the late '90s. Search for "900" and "Randyg". Maybe he had liquidated somewhat before Rick encountered him.

SpiderMan

Scott Lee
09-17-2002, 01:01 AM
I asked Rick again tonight about the Palmers. He said Randy may have more, but he has the most complete collection, with examples of every single cue in all three lines, with the exception of one cue. Naturally he has multiples and many custom pieces too.

Scott

09-17-2002, 06:27 AM
Scott,

This is the room I was talking about when you were here. I've heard about Rick's setup and collection and hope someday I get the opportunity to see it myself.

As far as our session goes, I can't thank you enough for the time you spent with me! I haven't had much time to spend on the drills, but what I have done has left me somewhat frustrated. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I'll keep working at it though, and soon I'll have the "midas touch" mastered, I hope!

Karla

stickman
09-17-2002, 09:56 AM
It certainly does sound like Disneyland for a poolplayer! Geez, and to think I was impressed when I went to my friends house last night to practice before league. I have known him for quite some time, and played pool with him, but had never seen his pool room until last night. It is a very large basement room with fairly tall ceilings. I can very much appreciate the tall ceilings. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif He had the usual TV, stereo, refridgerator, bar, ect. What really caught my attention was the perfect condition Valley Cougar bar table, and the likewise perfect 9' Brunswick GC. Nothing like what you discribe, but impressive to me all the same.

09-17-2002, 11:39 AM
elvis, league starts Wednesday, scott and I we'll be there about 6. see ya there. who are you by the way?

Scott Lee
09-17-2002, 06:06 PM
Karla...I enjoyed working with you too. The SMALL changes we worked on will be hard to change, but will make you play better in the long run! Good luck...and see you in the winner's circle! I'll be the one cheering out loud for you! LOL

Scott

Cueless Joey
09-17-2002, 06:30 PM
Scott, next time you see Rick, can you ask him if he'd trade some of that old Palmers with my NEW Meucci with Red Dot shafts?
I have some collectable Marlboro cues too I'd be willing to part with for old clanky Szambottis.
Poor guy. His cues are outdated. He needs zero deflection Red Dots.

Scott Lee
09-17-2002, 06:35 PM
Jim...That sounds like a nice room too! Rick's has 20 foot ceilings, that you would REALLY appreciate! LOL Hope to see you again in Parsons, or close by!

Scott

Elvis
09-17-2002, 11:50 PM
My real name is Chris and I am shooting on a team from Carroll. TJ Cuemania and we have t-shirts. I am shooting with Ron "Buck" Rich who you may know. He is from the Coon Rapids area and used to shoot with a team by the name of Over the Hill Gang. Hey come to think of it...I have the new CCB Keyring on my case..see ya there..probably closer to 7:00.

Scott Lee
09-18-2002, 12:30 AM
Joey...As much a cue afficionado that you and your friends are, you should roadtrip up to Riudoso, NM in 10 days, for the International Collectable Cue Show, being put on by Bill Stroud/Josswest. Examples from several famous private collections (including Rick's) will be shown, as well as the exotic cues that are being made now by 50+ cuemakers, to show and sell there. It is open to the public.

Scott

Scott Lee
09-18-2002, 12:34 AM
Chris...You're sure right! Karla and Mike are both excellent players already!...really nice people too! Mike's son, Cody, is 11 and has a very good stroke for no serious training. Of course, Dad knows a TON, so he has obviously shared some things with him...like you have with Heide and Christ! We'll have to get these two poolplaying families together for a pool party!

Scott

Cueless Joey
09-18-2002, 01:46 AM
Scott, I know two guys going to that "show". Both avid collectors. I think Jerry Q might go as well.