PDA

View Full Version : THOMAS FRIEDMAN: Work and own less ...

LWW
06-13-2011, 02:44 AM
... except for the elites!

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/friedman.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 11pt'>Good news, we’re doomed, says New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman in Wednesday’s "The Earth Is Full." (Has the globe-trotting Friedman never been to Texas?) But we can still save ourselves eventually, as long as we realize that "the consumer-driven growth model is broken and we have to move to a more happiness-driven growth model, based on people working less and owning less."</span> But does that "own less" solution include the privileged columnist as well? ...

Friedman wrote a book on climate change called "Hot, Flat and Crowded," and penned this piece of paranoia in an October 2009 column: <span style='font-size: 14pt'>"...we never know when the next emitted carbon molecule will tip over some ecosystem and trigger a nonlinear climate event -- like melting the Siberian tundra and releasing all of its methane, or drying up the Amazon or melting all the sea ice in the North Pole in summer."</span>

Friedman forwarded Gilding’s anti-capitalistic idea, dressed in green:

<span style='font-size: 11pt'>We will realize, he predicts, that the consumer-driven growth model is broken and we have to move to a more happiness-driven growth model, based on people working less and owning less. </span>

"How many people," Gilding asks, "lie on their death bed and say, ‘I wish I had worked harder or built more shareholder value,’ and how many say, ‘I wish I had gone to more ballgames, read more books to my kids, taken more walks?’ To do that, you need a growth model based on giving people more time to enjoy life, but with less stuff."

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>Friedman's call to "own less" would be more palatable if he wasn't throwing his self-righteous stones from his own palatial residence. The July 2006 Washingtonian magazine called it "a palatial 11,400-square-foot house, now valued at $9.3 million, on a 7.5-acre parcel</span> just blocks from I-495 and Bethesda Country Club."</div></div>

Yet another (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/clay-waters/2011/06/09/privileged-nyt-columnist-tom-friedman-calls-people-work-less-own-less-n) leftist icon shown to be nothing more than a statist hypocrite pimp.

Qtec
06-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Where was he wrong?

Q

LWW
06-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Even if he was right, which he isn't, he is a hypocrite.

But, I have an unfair advantage in that I understand what the writer was talking about.

Soflasnapper
06-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Thomas Friedman is a LEFTIST ICON???

In what parallel universe? Because he has a column in the NY Times, I guess you mean? He is not a leftist, but a squishy moderate, and nobody's idea of any kind of icon at all.

What 'leftist icon' do you know who would say the proper frame of mind after 9/11 was to put an automatic rifle in the mouth of a random Iraqi and say, 'suck on this'?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In an interview with Charlie Rose in 2003, Friedman said:

What they needed to see was American boys and girls going house to house, from Basra to Baghdad, um and basically saying, "Which part of this sentence don't you understand?" You don't think, you know, we care about our open society, you think this bubble fantasy, we're just gonna to let it grow? Well, Suck. On. This.[26][27][28] ..We could have hit Saudi Arabia. It was part of that bubble. Could have hit Pakistan. We hit Iraq because we could. That's the real truth...
</div></div>

Friedman cheer-led the war as appropriate even without WMD, because we needed to show the Arab world who was boss, even if it was an Arab nation unrelated to 9/11, and regime change alone was a sufficient reason all by itself.

Not a leftist. Squishy faux liberal, perhaps.

Soflasnapper
06-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Hypocrite, yes, btw.

Rich ass mo-fo. His idea of cutting back his lifestyle would probably be not buying a second house of this size, maybe something a bit more modest.

LWW
06-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Virtually all of the leaders of the US left are phonies.

Although I disagree with all 3 of them more often than not, the only ones that come to mind that I have any real respect for are:

- Dennis Kucinicjh

- Ralph Nader

- Dennis Lieberman

The Gores, Clintons, Obamas, Kennedys, Reverands Jesse and Al et al of the democrook party are nothing but thugocrats who pimp the naive.

As much as they wail and gnash their collectivist teeth about the plight of the poor ... they have every intention of keeping the poor poor, without the poor they have no power base.