PDA

View Full Version : Tea Party?..............LOL

Qtec
06-13-2011, 04:21 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tea Party Gears Up For 2012 In Contentious School Voucher Fight

HARRISBURG, Pa. -– The fight over school vouchers in Pennsylvania is a test of whether the Tea Party can transition from a protest movement into sustained political activism. They might yet make the grade, but they're hitting plenty of bumps along the way.

A forum in Shippensburg, Pa., on June 6 showed how the voucher issue has raised serious questions among the Tea Party rank and file.

Tim Hughes, a local furniture store owner, told a panel of policy experts and national campaign coordinators from the Washington-based group FreedomWorks that he didn't think the voucher bill was necessarily a good use of his taxpayer money.

"We're coming to a point where… if I'm going to survive to eat the fish tomorrow, I've got to think about today," Hughes said. "I can't think about, 'Well I've got to think about helping all these other people get a fish for tomorrow.' And I know that sounds selfish, but yet at the same time that's just a reality of where the economy is, for the most part."

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>The crowd was small: <u>11 people</u> showed up to hear <u>four</u> panelists talk about the details of the voucher bill.</span> Many of the questions were skeptical, especially as the session wore on and it became clear that the vouchers would only go to low-income students for the first few years of the program. The audience was also dubious that the program would ever be expanded beyond poor students, now that it is being whittled down in the state legislature's budget negotiations.

The stakes of the fight have much to do with 2012. <span style='font-size: 14pt'><u>FreedomWorks, a national conservative group,</u> is trying to both keep local Tea Party activists engaged and build a <u>grassroots </u>network.</span> </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FreedomWorks avows that its mission is to advocate for "lower taxes, less government and more economic freedom for all Americans," by "combin[ing] the stature and experience of America's greatest policy entrepreneurs with the grassroots power of hundreds of thousands of volunteer activists."

Its "freedom agenda" is headed by <u>privatizing Social Security, implementing a flat tax and abolishing the estate tax, limiting tort liability, and expanding school vouchers.</u> </div></div>

ie pretty much the present GOP agenda.

Q

LWW
06-13-2011, 04:24 AM
God bless them.

Qtec
06-13-2011, 04:42 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">God bless them. </div></div>

All eleven of them. LOL

Q

LWW
06-13-2011, 05:13 AM
Check out a "COFFEE PARTY" meeting some time.

This one, in a city the size of Minneapolis ... with a marketing campaign to turn out the people, drew a whopping 9.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_rwysI5o0Vlw/S6-BeYcmFKI/AAAAAAAAAek/_w2djrwV4fQ/s1600/Party+3.jpg

Soflasnapper
06-13-2011, 06:22 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">God bless them. </div></div>

All eleven of them. LOL

Q </div></div>

Sweeping the nation, I hear.

When they get to dozens, look out!

LWW
06-13-2011, 07:56 PM
Well ... if 11 could turn 700+ seats nationwide, there's no telling what dozens might do.

And, trust me, the are many, many dozens.

Gayle in MD
06-13-2011, 09:29 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Qtec</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tea Party Gears Up For 2012 In Contentious School Voucher Fight

HARRISBURG, Pa. -– The fight over school vouchers in Pennsylvania is a test of whether the Tea Party can transition from a protest movement into sustained political activism. They might yet make the grade, but they're hitting plenty of bumps along the way.

A forum in Shippensburg, Pa., on June 6 showed how the voucher issue has raised serious questions among the Tea Party rank and file.

Tim Hughes, a local furniture store owner, told a panel of policy experts and national campaign coordinators from the Washington-based group FreedomWorks that he didn't think the voucher bill was necessarily a good use of his taxpayer money.

"We're coming to a point where… if I'm going to survive to eat the fish tomorrow, I've got to think about today," Hughes said. "I can't think about, 'Well I've got to think about helping all these other people get a fish for tomorrow.' And I know that sounds selfish, but yet at the same time that's just a reality of where the economy is, for the most part."

<span style='font-size: 14pt'>The crowd was small: <u>11 people</u> showed up to hear <u>four</u> panelists talk about the details of the voucher bill.</span> Many of the questions were skeptical, especially as the session wore on and it became clear that the vouchers would only go to low-income students for the first few years of the program. The audience was also dubious that the program would ever be expanded beyond poor students, now that it is being whittled down in the state legislature's budget negotiations.

The stakes of the fight have much to do with 2012. <span style='font-size: 14pt'><u>FreedomWorks, a national conservative group,</u> is trying to both keep local Tea Party activists engaged and build a <u>grassroots </u>network.</span> </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FreedomWorks avows that its mission is to advocate for "lower taxes, less government and more economic freedom for all Americans," by "combin[ing] the stature and experience of America's greatest policy entrepreneurs with the grassroots power of hundreds of thousands of volunteer activists."

Its "freedom agenda" is headed by <u>privatizing Social Security, implementing a flat tax and abolishing the estate tax, limiting tort liability, and expanding school vouchers.</u> </div></div>

ie pretty much the present GOP agenda.

Q </div></div>

Hmmm, guess Fox didn't air their usual doctored pictures of the hundreds of thousands, Crowd.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif