PDA

View Full Version : IP addresses (FYI)

heater451
09-15-2002, 08:17 PM
Recently, some people have been getting accused of posting anonymously, and attacking others, because their IP address is getting matched up.

This is not a surefire way to identify someone, since there are only a limited number of IP addresses, and service providers usually only control a range of these.

It appears that some ISPs, like AOL may proxy a group of users through a server with one IP, so that many people seem to have the same address. (I am not sure if this is exactly how it's done, but it appears to be something similar.) ( http://webmaster.info.aol.com/index.cfm?article=15 )

Some/most providers 'own' a range of IP addresses, and assign these dynamically to users, as they connect. However, it seems that many times a user will get the same one, since there are only so many, and they may be geographically distributed. . . . (For example, my IP changes each time I connect, but I have seen that I get the same one, from time to time.)

===================

Nostroke
09-15-2002, 08:36 PM
I just noticed i had 2 different IP addresses tonite and i was matched on both of them on the same thread and both times by anonymous bashers!!

Damn- Even I think i look guilty!!

But unless i developed another personality in the past 24 hours that im not aware of, It wasn't me!!

Harold Acosta
09-15-2002, 09:26 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: heater451:</font><hr> Recently, some people have been getting accused of posting anonymously, and attacking others, because their IP address is getting matched up.

This is not a surefire way to identify someone, since there are only a limited number of IP addresses, and service providers usually only control a range of these.

It appears that some ISPs, like AOL may proxy a group of users through a server with one IP, so that many people seem to have the same address. (I am not sure if this is exactly how it's done, but it appears to be something similar.) ( <a target="_blank" href=http://webmaster.info.aol.com/index.cfm?article=15>http://webmaster.info.aol.com/index.cfm?article=15</a> )

Some/most providers 'own' a range of IP addresses, and assign these dynamically to users, as they connect. However, it seems that many times a user will get the same one, since there are only so many, and they may be geographically distributed. . . . (For example, my IP changes each time I connect, but I have seen that I get the same one, from time to time.)

=================== <hr></blockquote>

Your server is responsible for assigning IP addresses. For those of us who reprogram our own computers, we know this.
No one on this board can pinpoint anyone by the IP address alone. So don't worry about this.

People are allowed to post whatever the heck they want since it is allowed by the CCB; therefore, forget about being accused of anonymous posts. These will continue dispite whatever the heck other people believe.

Harold ~ tired of the bull$[censored] about anonymous posts.

09-15-2002, 09:27 PM
ditto i think admi should NOT show IP addys

09-16-2002, 02:49 AM
this must be all related to the pool mentality because i don't see this issue on other forums. but since everyone is caught up in this, and haven't yet figured out the reason for anonimity on the web, why not try opening an additional ccb message board where no one becomes a member unless there is full disclosure of one's identity and see what happens.

i can guess. your posters will be cut by 80%. all everyone will do is pat each other on the back,,there'll be no stepping on toes. issues will be rehashed every two weeks. the board will stagnate,,,and finally die.

and then you'll all come back to this board.

heater451
09-16-2002, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Harold Acosta:</font><hr>Your server is responsible for assigning IP addresses. For those of us who reprogram our own computers, we know this.
No one on this board can pinpoint anyone by the IP address alone. So don't worry about this.<hr></blockquote> Actually, with a port scanner, an IP could be run, to probe a machine for open ports. However, breaking in, or crashing the machine takes a whole other set of skills/tools. Most of the IP's here are dynamic (as you say), and aren't easily traced, although some people have a static address, and are less of a moving target. When the PC is off, it is not able to be probed, either.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Harold Acosta:</font><hr>People are allowed to post whatever the heck they want since it is allowed by the CCB; therefore, forget about being accused of anonymous posts. These will continue dispite whatever the heck other people believe.

Harold~ tired of the bull$[censored] about anonymous posts.<hr></blockquote>I agree.

===============

09-16-2002, 10:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Actually, with a port scanner, an IP could be run, to probe a machine for open ports.

<hr></blockquote>

Scanning for open ports will be of little use to most people - even most wanna-be hackers. It isn't like it was 5 years ago when there was a variety of attacks that could be successfully executed on someone with only knowing their IP.

09-16-2002, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

It appears that some ISPs, like AOL may proxy a group of users through a server with one IP, so that many people seem to have the same address. (I am not sure if this is exactly how it's done, but it appears to be something similar.) ( <a target="_blank" href=http://webmaster.info.aol.com/index.cfm?article=15>http://webmaster.info.aol.com/index.cfm?article=15</a> )

<hr></blockquote>

To add to that, many of us post from work. I know, in my case, there are thousands of employees at my company, and we all go through a proxy. If someone else from here were to post a message on this board, it would appear that we are using the same IP.