PDA

View Full Version : Major Feature Film On Pool

spock2011
06-15-2011, 02:16 PM
Although you will not know my identity from my postings, I am a relatively well know film and television producer/director that will be starting production on a feature film on the sport of pool in September, similar to The Hustler, Color of Money, and recently Pool Room Hustlers (not to compare to the other films). The film will star an "A" name actress and actor and focus on the game of 8 ball and league play. What I am baffled by is the lack of support from the organized leagues, equipment manufacturers, and local pool halls throughout the country. Do they realize what a boost a major motion picture can do for their business?

Soflasnapper
06-15-2011, 03:06 PM
Mars, is that you?

I think the industry is in retrenching mode, and fairly hard hit by the economic situation, which might account for an unwillingness to contribute to this venture.

But I agree, the right movie can be dynamite to the public interest and the industry. Some movies apparently have no such effect, though. (Do you have the right movie?)

JJFSTAR
06-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Sadly the answer is “No they don’t”. The owners and manufacturers have (for the most part) forgotten or never realized what kind of effect major motion pictures ever had on their business. “The color of money” had a booming effect in the pool world; hoards of people into the pool rooms and millions in equipment sales. You are probably saying to yourself “how can they not realize this?”

I may be telling you something you already know very well but no harm and a great help if you don’t happen to. Pool is a sport that does not have a great number of highly organized business people interested in promoting the sport; that’s why it is where it is. However there are a couple of exceptions. The WPBA is an exception so is the APA; this is where I would start if I were you.

Also think about this, like in most industries the people involved care more about the “names” inside of their industry than they do outside of their industry. So they care less about you and the lead characters than they do about their own “stars”. If you get 3 or 4 “names” in the pool world involved your job will become easier overnight. I am not sure but these people should not be hard to contact many have web sites. If you, for example got Alison Fisher and Johnny Archer involved your credibility would be upped 1000x. Sorry to inform you of this if you already have these kinds of people on board, but sometimes the obvious needs to be stated.

I wish you great success; it can do nothing but really help me (I am a local pool instructor)

Sincerely, John Fischer

bradb
06-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Have you talked to the big name equipment people like Simonis, Brunswick, Preditor, Cuetec. Aramis? They pay big money for pro sponsorships, surely a movie mention would be of interest to them. Getting big name players involved as mentioned above is a great idea, people outside of pool won't know them but their profile and contacts within the game is important.

Also there's European market which is much more organized and aggressive than here. I would keep plugging and networking, once word is around about you, and people know you are serious you should start seeing some results.

Brad

Fran Crimi
06-15-2011, 04:39 PM
That would be the equivalent of making a film about poverty in Appalachia and then expecting the Appalachians to fund it for you because it will benefit them.

How much does it actually cost to properly produce and market a MAJOR film? 10 Million? 20 Million? More?

06-15-2011, 05:33 PM
Even if they were fully aware of the potential you mention, they're certainly not used to throwing around the kind of money you're talking about. And they're not aware in the first place, because their business acumen doesn't include communications. I think you should seek your support from people who simply enjoy a well-made, intelligent film; that's what "The Hustler" was, and aside from hiring Mosconi as technical advisor, Fox didn't get any industry money at all. GF

bradb
06-15-2011, 05:52 PM
True, the pool industry does'nt have the big bucks but there is some potential. The Hustler was made befor films used advertising for revenue. The color of money did use name players, but they already had Newman and Cruise, they did'nt need ad bucks but now even top grossing films seek it out. If another big pool film came along today with the right marketing and business plan, investors, sponsors would climb on board, it happens up here in BC (which is the second hollywood) all the time.

One thing, for pool sponsors to come along the script will have to be positive towards the game, Pool Hall Junkies made pool players look like a bunch of low life thugs.

Brad

06-16-2011, 12:00 PM
How major is "major"? I'll support it either way out of curiosity and my interest in Pool. When is it due out? In theaters or straight to DVD?

Eric >would guess it's the Jen B movie

Rich R.
06-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Spock, how do you expect billiard companies and pool rooms to financially support your movie when most of them are treading water trying to stay in business themselves?

The idea of a high quality, pool related, movie is great and I wish you luck with it. I will be waiting in line to see it.

Brian in VA
06-16-2011, 01:39 PM
Welcome to the forum, Spock!

Everyone else has hit the big points but one was left out. The other thing you're fighting is an industry that has had more than it's share of sketchy folks show up with promises of get rich quick schemes that never seemed to quite pan out. As a result, many are slow to come around without compelling reasons. No offense, but the promise of a "feature film" starring an "A name actress" sounds similar to several pitches from the past.

If you want to get some support from those folks, you'll need something with a bit more density than that.

We all wish you the best of luck because you're preaching to the choir here.

My BCA 8 Ball league would be thrilled to be involved and our local room would probably be willing to jump in if you just fixed the AC for them. (Yes, I'm serious.)

Brian in VA

Rich R.
06-17-2011, 06:38 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brian in VA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My BCA 8 Ball league would be thrilled to be involved and our local room would probably be willing to jump in if you just fixed the AC for them. (Yes, I'm serious.)
</div></div>
But Brian, you're forgetting about the scene where the "A" list star, with the flimsy shirt, is embroiled in a marathon pool match. The poolroom is sizzling hot and the sweat is pouring off of our star. The flimsy shirt gets soaked with sweat to the point where it is almost transparent and ..........
Wait! That is a totally different movie. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

Deeman3
06-18-2011, 08:31 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 071838</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even if they were fully aware of the potential you mention, they're certainly not used to throwing around the kind of money you're talking about. And they're not aware in the first place, because their business acumen doesn't include communications. I think you should seek your support from people who simply enjoy a well-made, intelligent film; that's what "The Hustler" was, and aside from hiring Mosconi as technical advisor, Fox didn't get any industry money at all. GF </div></div>

Hello George. Nice to see you posting!

Icon of Sin
06-20-2011, 09:04 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How major is "major"? I'll support it either way out of curiosity and my interest in Pool. When is it due out? In theaters or straight to DVD?

Eric &gt;would guess it's the Jen B movie </div></div>
Cant be that one, E. The original poster mentioned production on his/her feature will start in September.

Production on the "9-Ball" has already started 6 or 7 times already over the past 5 years.

Icon of Sin
06-20-2011, 09:18 AM
In all seriousness, Pool could really use another gritty, but down to earth feature film. Things needed of course would be A-list celebs and professional players as technical advisors to make the actors look as believable as possible as pool players. The last pool related movie to do this properly was The Color of Money almost 30 years ago.

The prodcution needs to take advice from actual players/gamblers/pros. Not the bangers at their local room.

All others since I have failed. The one since with the most potential was "The Baltimore Bullet". It was an entertaining movie. Some funny parts, but most of the pool was unrealistic and the actors just did not look comfortable.

Another decent shot at this was Poolhall Junkies. The main actor/director Mars Calahan actually looked like a pool player (except for all the crazy bank shots and the terrible position error in the last rack). He had a form and bridge hand that looked believable. The other assinine part of this film was when Brad (the films evil pool player) would shoot with his graphite cue that he pulled out of a guitar case. You want see either of those in the hands of a serious player ever.

The next two movies that failed at this were Shooting Gallery and Turn the River. While both had decent named celebs in them (Freddie Prinz Jr, Ving Rhames, Famke Jannsen, Rip Torn) the pool simply did not look realistic.

That's my major gripe. Scorsese obviously took pool seriously enough during the research and production of Color of Money to get some knowledge about cues, back room games and even the players in the back room as well as the style of the rooms they were in. Why other directors and producers dont do the same thing is beyond me. He also had the foresight to put his actors through a bootcamp with the pros/technical advisors to get them looking right, which therefore made the movie look that much more believable.

Ever since the Color of Money, all other pool movies have looked like (and basically have been) B movies.

Heath&lt;----just my 2 cents. Hope everyone has been well.

Icon of Sin
06-20-2011, 09:55 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 071838</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even if they were fully aware of the potential you mention, they're certainly not used to throwing around the kind of money you're talking about. And they're not aware in the first place, because their business acumen doesn't include communications. I think you should seek your support from people who simply enjoy a well-made, intelligent film; that's what "The Hustler" was, and aside from hiring Mosconi as technical advisor, Fox didn't get any industry money at all. GF </div></div>
When you think about it, neither of the most successful pool movies had much (if any) Pool/Billiards brand reconignition in them.

The average Joe doesnt reconignize the tables at Chalkies as Brunswick Gold Crowns, nor do they know the Balabushka in the move was really a Joss. When I think back, the only time I remember seeing a brand on anything in that movie (other then Eddie's car) was on th pool tables in the Tournament at the end. And after watching that movie hundreds of times, as of right now I cannot tell you the name of that brand.

Closest thing to a brand actually mentioned in the movie was the Balabushka name applied to a Joss cue. Dont get me wrong. I wouldnt let Tom Cruise screw around with a real Balabushka either.

Assistance from pool companies and brands isnt really needed I dont think and would look tacky with all the product placement. Id sooner look for assistance from major companies such as Coke or Budweiser etc. A neon Bud light in the background is a common thing to see in a bar on a league night. As could be a can of Coke.

Last thing you want is "Check out my cool cue, it's a Lucasi!" or zooming in onthe Valley logo by the corner pocket just to watch the player rattle the ball in it. (As it is damn near impossible to rattle a ball in Valley buckets).

So this is about a girl in an 8ball league. Is this by chance based off the book "Sweet"? Here is a link for those who don't know about "Sweet" http://heatherbyer.com/sweet.php

06-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Heath mentioned that the Jen B movie is 9 ball, not 8 ball, so I'm out of guesses.

Eric &gt;moving on

bradb
06-20-2011, 04:40 PM
Icon....

You don't need to put products in the viewers face in a movie, its done subtilely. For instance it could be a sponsors name for a fictional tournament. Theres a hundred ways to do it and make it real. Also the last few movies about pool were crap and I don't blame sponsors for not putting their products in them.

The color of Money had a few over the top scenes, the last really true movie on Pool (for its time) was the Hustler. But thats not the point, only 5% of the viewers will know anything about the game, As long as its not the old stereotypical BS about pool thats laughable to even novices.

Also it has to be more than just about pool to make it work. The "Titanic" was'nt really about the ship, it was a rousing good story with the ship as the backdrop.

Brad

06-21-2011, 12:54 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Icon of Sin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> When I think back, the only time I remember seeing a brand on anything in that movie (other then Eddie's car) was on th pool tables in the Tournament at the end. And after watching that movie hundreds of times, as of right now I cannot tell you the name of that brand.

</div></div>

They were Murrey tables. In fact, a friend of mine bought one of the actual tables. It came with a chrome/stainless plate, engraved with the details, attached to the table.

Eric

SpiderMan
06-22-2011, 10:40 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spock2011</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Although you will not know my identity from my postings, I am a relatively well know film and television producer/director that will be starting production on a feature film on the sport of pool in September, similar to The Hustler, Color of Money, and recently Pool Room Hustlers (not to compare to the other films). The film will star an "A" name actress and actor and focus on the game of 8 ball and league play. What I am baffled by is the lack of support from the organized leagues, equipment manufacturers, and local pool halls throughout the country. Do they realize what a boost a major motion picture can do for their business? </div></div>

Did you give all these folks "throughout the country" any more information than you've given us? If not, don't be so surprised that they blew you off.

OTOH, since you posted this a week ago and haven't responded to any of the comments, you may just be a nit trolling.

SpiderMan

Rich R.
06-22-2011, 10:45 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SpiderMan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OTOH, since you posted this a week ago and haven't responded to any of the comments, you may just be a nit trolling.</div></div>
I think you are right about this nit.

Rival Crown
06-27-2011, 05:27 PM
all I ask for Spock, is ya do a great job, ask real pro pool players, and better yet, those who have extensive experience in gambling settings, so that you'll capture a real pool hall. and make sure the " A actress" has a real solid stroke like, Paul Newman in The Hustler.

kimberly Getti
06-28-2011, 12:05 AM
nice one. .

west palm beach pest control (http://southeasterntermite.com) - Fort Lauderdale pest control (http://southeasterntermite.com) - south florida pest control (http://southeasterntermite.com)

Scott Lee
07-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Well, here it is a month later, and still no reply from Spock. I'm not sure, after reading his/her initial post, what the heck they were asking anyway. I'd hate to put the troll/nit label on somebody who is serious about making a pool movie. Spock...please come back and post some more on this. If you wish to remain anonymous, but would like some serious feedback, you can email me, and I'll keep it confidential.

Scott Lee
email: poolology@aol.com

DickLeonard
07-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Soflasnapper all you have to do is dig up Paul Newman and you would have a hit. Better yet Induct him in to the Hall of Fame. ####

nAz
07-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Cool new pool movie... I hope you feature everyday amateurs and not just those cliquish groups of people who never truly accomplished anything significant in pool yet get cover stories written about themselves simply because of the people they "hang" around with.

Hey better yet make a movie about Carom Billiard, its coming back strong in the USA!

Scott Lee
07-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Holy mackeral naz! I haven't seen or heard from you in 100 yrs!
Glad to see you posting again (although I haven't been here much myself). Do you still hang with Wendy at all?

Scott Lee

Alaskan_Pool
08-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Whatever you do, please, please, please do not show pool players in the middle of z game somehow having a setup pool trick shot they perform. Instead, have experts there who will show you power stroke shots that might actually come up in a game, if you must have this kind of razzle dazzle.

As some people advised before it is crucial that they look like real players for authenticity. And trust me on this: it does not matter that most the audience is clueless. They will still know, because fine play looks graceful and smooth, and poor players look awkward and even if people don;t know they will respond to the real thing. They will need a few months of training to look at all good.

jjinfla
08-02-2011, 05:53 AM
Boring. Real life is boring. You need the trick shots to get the audiance's attention. Movies are make believe.

When the Hustler came out everyone remembered the trick shots and tried to do them.

Color of money: How many times have you seen someone twirl his cue? I still see it.

Just don't let the players get up on the table on all fours to make a shot. Unless, of course it is a pretty lady.

How about having Robin Dodson make a game winning jump shot while she is looking at and talking to the fish.

08-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Damn, Naz...why brought you back from the wilderness, lol?

So, are you talking about any "rack stars"?

Eric

nAz
08-05-2011, 02:37 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott Lee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy mackeral naz! I haven't seen or heard from you in 100 yrs!
Glad to see you posting again (although I haven't been here much myself). Do you still hang with Wendy at all?

Scott Lee </div></div>

Hey Scott how are you sir?
I dont post much although i do stop by from time to time to read some of the threads.
Have not seen Wendy for long awhile but she is doing great.

Take care and drop an Email if your ever coming to NYC.

nAz
08-05-2011, 02:39 PM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Eric</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, Naz...why brought you back from the wilderness, lol?

So, are you talking about any "rack stars"?

Eric </div></div>

lol, i don't know... u know the clique crews.

how you doing man?

08-05-2011, 04:14 PM
No complaints here.

Hey, 10th anniversary of the first CCB US Open get together is this year. There's another thread on the forum, about it. You should go...

Eric &gt;going

DickLeonard
08-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Deeman nice to see posting. Long time no read any posts from you. Keep your eye on the ball. Dick

9 Ball Girl
09-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Scott - How you doing??? Haven't seen you in a while. I heard that you surprised Gail at ABC a week or two ago. Find me on Facebook.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have not seen Wendy for long awhile but she is doing great.</div></div>

Um, no I'm not doing great. I allowed a lying man who keeps secrets make a fool of me.

Icon of Sin
09-14-2011, 08:20 AM
It's September, did production start?

billliardsreview
09-22-2011, 11:13 PM
It sounds great that there will be another billiards film, but I really hope it doesn't follow the same formula as the hustler. If I have to watch one more pool film where someone gets their thumbs broken I will be really let down.

I dont see why film makers can't make a legitimate film, with billiards just as a background. The hustler set the precident, and was an excellent film, but it seems like everything that has followed has just been corny-- even the color of money (maybe it was just because it was the 80's).

Soflasnapper
09-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Pool playing shows up in many action flicks, as a kind of cameo appearance, briefly, usually in a strip club.

I know you don't mean that kind of film! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

DickLeonard
10-02-2011, 01:36 PM
spock2011 Start a movement to have Paul Newman to be inducted in the BCA hall of fame. That might be the only way to create interest in pool.

Pool is like watching grass grow especially nineball.####

Legacy Billiards
10-04-2011, 02:03 PM
Its a great way to promote this sport and I appreciate your idea to make a film on it. But what I feel is, instead of looking for sponsors for the tables and equipment you might want to use for the film, what you can do is find someone who you can partner with and buy the pool tables and the required equipment's. Once you are done making the film, you and your partner can own a pool place of your own and utilize everything you purchased and recover what you've invested and make noticeable profits too!

Also, you can find stylish pool table designs without scratches or dents at most of the branded pool and billiard table manufacturing company's clearance sales. You can find great quality pool tables at a fraction of the price there plus most of them would include free shipping, free introductory accessory kit and free napped pool table cloth.
Goodluck for your film!

KellyStick
06-29-2012, 07:46 AM
So is there any latest news on the fabulous new pool movie? There are so few out there that a new one sounds exciting