PDA

View Full Version : GREAT MOMENTS IN DEAR LEADER HISTORY VI

LWW
06-18-2011, 07:18 AM
This one comrades is a golden oldie.

To put things in the proper context, I will use the courageous and inspiring words of dear leader in comparison with the mad scheme and dangerous thoughtcrime spewed by <s>Emmanuel Goldstein</s> <s>Beelezebub</s> the great Satan Robald Raygun.

Both quotes are from their speeches in Berlin.

First, Raygun threatens to forever enslave the citizens of the peaceful Soviet Bloc to the EEEVILLL capitalist pigdogs by removing the Berlin Wall and enabling the demonic hordes to destroy the worker's paradise:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>"MISTER GORBACHEV, TEAR DOWN THIS WALL!"</span>
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>-Ronald Wilson Raygun-</span>
<span style='font-size: 8pt'>-Tyrant and warmonger-</span></div></div>

Next, I present to you dear leader speaking in Germany during his pre immaculation world tour:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style='font-size: 14pt'>"I take pride in the words I am a jelly doughnut!"</span>
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>-Barack Hussein Obama Junior-</span>
<span style='font-size: 8pt'>-The leader God has sent us at this time-</span></div></div>

Soflasnapper
06-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Recycling that old lie about JFK?

Wasn't true then, isn't true now.

Soflasnapper
06-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Dear Urban Legends:

I have heard and read from several different sources the story that John F. Kennedy made a major German language blunder in his famous "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech in Berlin, Germany. The story goes that he should have said "Ich bin Berliner" ("I am a citizen of Berlin"), and that "Ich bin ein Berliner" really means "I am a jelly doughnut." (A "Berliner" is in fact a type of jelly doughnut made in Berlin.) One of my German instructors even claimed this is true, and I once saw it published in a major American magazine, although I forget which one.

Several years ago when I visited Germany, I found myself having drinks with a German journalist who struck me as fairly intelligent, so I asked her the question. She said that it is certainly not true. President Kennedy said the phrase absolutely correctly, although possibly with a thick American accent. It seems that the German language is simply not that trivial — it has subtleties that very few non-native speakers grasp. She said that if President Kennedy had said "Ich bin Berliner," he would have sounded silly because with his heavy accent he couldn't possibly have come from Berlin. But by saying "Ich bin ein Berliner," he actually said "I am one with the people of Berlin." This is her exact translation as best I can remember it.

I believe, although someone would have to verify it, that President Kennedy actually didn't know German very well, if at all. He had a German journalist translate the phrase for him, and that journalist coached him at length on exactly how to say the phrase.

Dear Reader:

Your friend the journalist was on the mark. This is truly The Gaffe That Never Was, notwithstanding reports to the contrary in venues as prestigious as the New York Times and Newsweek magazine. Experts say Kennedy's grammar was flawless when he uttered those words in German near the Berlin Wall on June 26, 1963. The phrase had been translated for him by a professional interpreter.

It is true that the German word Berliner can denote either a person who is a citizen of Berlin, or a particular kind of jelly-filled pastry. But look at it this way: if I were to tell a group of Americans that my editor is a New Yorker, would any of them really think I've confused him with a certain weekly magazine of the same name?

Even AltaVista's Babel Fish translation software — not always the most accurate of interpreters, to put it generously — was able to make perfect sense of the phrase when I typed it in verbatim just now, rendering "Ich bin ein Berliner" in English as "I am a citizen of Berlin" without missing a ping (try it yourself!).

LWW
06-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Translations:

I am one doughnut

OH DEAR! (http://www.translation-guide.com/free_online_translators.php?from=English&to=Danish)

LWW
06-18-2011, 01:26 PM
Word: berliner

English German

doughnut; donut

OH MY! (http://www.ego4u.com/en/dictionary)

Soflasnapper
06-19-2011, 01:08 AM
New Yorker-- a magazine

New Yorker-- a former Chrysler automobile model

Yes, you make a colorable claim of factuality. Just as the above citations do.

But no one is confused when we say, for instance, Anthony Weiner is a New Yorker. Meaning something entirely different from the OTHER two meanings.

Somehow, you claim to be confused about the other ambiguous meaning, insisting it can only be the meaning you reference, rather than how everyone there took the meaning to obviously mean, without any distortion or stretch of imagination.

Please try to upgrade your material slightly, from lame to less lame. Thank you.

Qtec
06-19-2011, 01:20 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please try to upgrade your material slightly, from lame to less lame. Thank you. </div></div>

Don't hold your breath.

Q

Qtec
06-19-2011, 01:26 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Berliner
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Berliner <u>is most often used to designate a citizen of Berlin</u>, Germany, <u>but may also refer to:</u>

Berliner (pastry), a doughnut
Berliner (format), a paper size in newspapers
Berliner (train), the CityNightLine line on the Zürich-Berlin Ostbahnhof route
Ich bin ein Berliner, a famous speech by John F. Kennedy </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jelly doughnut misconception
A Berliner

It is a common misconception that Kennedy made a risible error by saying "Ich bin ein Berliner". According to this idea, Kennedy referred to himself not as a "citizen of Berlin", but as a "jelly doughnut", which is known in parts of Germany as a "Berliner".[3] Kennedy should, supposedly, have said "Ich bin Berliner" to mean "I am a person from Berlin"; by this notion, adding the indefinite article ein to his statement implied he was a non-human Berliner, thus "I am a jelly doughnut".[4] However, the indefinite article ein is omitted when speaking of an individual's profession or residence <u>but is necessary when speaking in a figurative sense as Kennedy did.</u> Since the president was not literally from Berlin but only declaring his solidarity with its citizens, "Ich bin Berliner" would not have been correct.[4] </div></div>

You nothing about German or Dutch.

Q

Q

LWW
06-19-2011, 06:18 AM
It is amazing how compelled the far left is to defend their series of Godkings.

Snoopy, being so close to Germania I am most disappointed in you.

What Kennedy should have said, and meant to be interpreted as saying, was "ICH BIN BERLINER" to claim he was a symbolic resident of Berlin.

Qtec
06-19-2011, 06:31 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LWW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is amazing how compelled the far left is to defend their series of Godkings.

Snoopy, being so close to Germania I am most disappointed in you.

What Kennedy should have said, and meant to be interpreted as saying, was "ICH BIN BERLINER" to claim he was a symbolic resident of Berlin. </div></div>

Like I said before, you haven't a clue about German or Dutch languages.

What you don't understand duffus is that context is everything.

What does JFK say BEFORE hid Berliner sentence?

Don't know? Don't care?

Let Q help, you you poor sorry soul.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Freedom is indivisible, and when one man is enslaved, no man is free. When all are free, then we look forward to that day when this city will be joined as one, and this country and this great continent of Europe, in a peaceful and hopeful globe. When that day finally comes, as it will, the people of West Berlin can take sober satisfaction in the fact that they were in the front lines for almost two decades.

<span style='font-size: 17pt'>All as a free man, I take pride in the words "Ich bin ein Berliner!" free men, wherever they may live, are citizens of Berlin And therefore,</span> [Sustained applause, chanting and cheers.]

</div></div>

They knew what he meant, even if you don't.

LEARN (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK907TwM7q0)

Q

LWW
06-19-2011, 07:01 AM
I agree that everyone in attendance probably figured out what he meant.

That doesn't change the fact that it was a huge grammatical error.

And, not to allow you to get away with it, JFK can be excused because he relied upon his interpreters.

Obama, OTOH, decided to repeat the quote without ever daring to wonder whether it was or wasn't correct.

Soflasnapper
06-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Not a huge grammatical error whatsoever, according to those knowledgeable of spoken and written German language usage.

And your counter-expert information is... what?

Reminds me of some arrogant ignoratii back in the day, concerning the way to pronounce Hermann Hesse's last name.

Most favored the Americanized/Anglicized pronunciation, 'Hess,' making the last 'e' silent. (As per rule in English.)

Some who affected superior knowledge demanded it be pronounced, 'Hess-uh,' condemning those who used the common Anglicized version instead as quite stupid. (Although we routinely use Americanized versions of foreign words when speaking English, not saying 'Paree' for Paris, e.g.)

Problem: evidently the family (and Hermann followed the family custom) pronounced it 'Hess-EE,' so the common German pronunciation using a schwa sound at the end was historically false. Making the faux expert complaint ridiculous and false.

LWW
06-20-2011, 03:07 AM
You have convinced me ... Obama isn't the only jelly donut in question.

Soflasnapper
06-20-2011, 02:37 PM
You claim it was a grammatical error.

Experts say it was correct idiom.

Gosh, who to believe?