PDA

View Full Version : The search for the Anonymous!

CarolNYC
09-16-2002, 05:48 AM
Being that we ALL know the feeling of fear,sorrow,panic,paranoia due to 9/11(which many have overcome and turned into courage and bravery)Why have you allowed it to come to this website?And I ask those of you searching to match "IP addresses"-WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO DO WHEN YOU FIND WHO THE ANONYMOUS POSTERS ARE/ Call them names or beatem up?Terrorism has become a part of our everyday lives and its a shame that a few anonymous posts have managed to instill it upon this board!I hope many of you can find peace within yourselves and the strength to ignore such nonsense-and hey,heres a saying that can also be applied to POOL-"your own worst enemy is yourself!"
Oh, one very important thing,Nostroke was with us all weekend-consistently and admirably attends and supports many girls from NY-I'd back him in a heartbeat!
Carol

Chris Cass
09-16-2002, 06:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CarolNYC:</font><hr>I'd back him in a heartbeat!
Carol <hr></blockquote>

That's only one reason, I like you so much!

Regards,

C.C.~~lol

HarryDC
09-16-2002, 07:03 AM
Carol,

I second the motion. Nostroke is a nice soul who travels to support the NY Ladies even as far south as Virginia and Maryland. I would back up Nostroke to. Nostroke loves pool!

HarryDC

bluewolf
09-16-2002, 07:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: CarolNYC:</font><hr> Being that we ALL know the feeling of fear,sorrow,panic,paranoia due to 9/11(which many have overcome and turned into courage and bravery)Why have you allowed it to come to this website?And I ask those of you searching to match "IP addresses"-WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO DO WHEN YOU FIND WHO THE ANONYMOUS POSTERS ARE/ Call them names or beatem up?Terrorism has become a part of our everyday lives and its a shame that a few anonymous posts have managed to instill it upon this board!Carol
<hr></blockquote>

As long as anonymous posters are allowed by the board to post, there is nothing preventing a registered user to post anonomously also.The whole search for ip thingie is rather silly. Plus if you know anything about coomputers, there are ways to fool the system anyway, ie, log off regular isp, long back onto aol and post etc.

i posted once accidentally under anon then logged in as bw and said who i am. i also set up another alias (silverbullet) i used twice.if i use it in the future i will start my post by 'posting as bluewolf'or something so you will all know it is the same person.

but seriously, as long as the board allows anon to post,if they want to be anon that is their right.if we do not like the kind of things they are saying, we should take action as dr d did.

chasing down ip is rater silly and even can result in false accusations. what if several ccbers are using the same computer. ever thought about that?

bw

Nostroke
09-16-2002, 07:21 AM
Thank you Carol and Harry too. Nice to hear that you know i wouldn't do that. Im not mad at ANYBODY by the way-just a little dumfounded and insecure because of the circumstances.Thanks again.

cuechick
09-16-2002, 08:56 AM
Carol,
Thanks so much for your post, and I too think the attack on nostroke silly and unfounded. I noticed a while back that these icp numbers where not a reliable way to trace a person and probally for good reason.
This is an OPEN Forum and those who want to mandate and regulate it into there private 'members only' forum may just kill this thing they think they want to preserve.
I have just 3 word for that: FREEDOM OF SPEECH!!!!

I have noticed a growing trend on the board, an attitude that if a regular dosen't agree with an Anonymous post to jump on that aspect rather than to debate the questions at hand. In the case where you find the post offensive why not just IGNORE it. Hello!! If I see something I don't like on TV I just change the chanel. When some silly wannabee kept making nasty comments about a pro player I am friends with, I just ignored it. And yes he went away...
Why is identiy soooo important to some of you? Who really cares? What is important, IMO is safe guarding personal freedoms and First ammendment rights!
Let's ALL "Get a GRIP!!"

heater451
09-16-2002, 09:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: cuechick:</font><hr>I have noticed a growing trend on the board, an attitude that if a regular dosen't agree with an Anonymous post to jump on that aspect rather than to debate the questions at hand. In the case where you find the post offensive why not just IGNORE it. Hello!! If I see something I don't like on TV I just change the chanel. When some silly wannabee kept making nasty comments about a pro player I am friends with, I just ignored it. And yes he went away...
Why is identiy soooo important to some of you? Who really cares? What is important, IMO is safe guarding personal freedoms and First ammendment rights!
Let's ALL "Get a GRIP!!"<hr></blockquote>It's not so much about "knowing the enemy", but that the anonymous post often don't just disagree, but they are intentionally offensive.

That is, if someone posts, "I don't drop my elbow on follow-through, because I think it's too much extra movement," that's a bit different than posting, "You're a complete idiot, if you drop your elbow. It doesn't take a moron to see that it causes extra movement in your stroke. You're ugly, and your Mama dresses you funny."

Otherwise, you are correct, about ignoring anony posts. In fact, that's the single most effective course to take against any poster that you wish to avoid.

=====================

Sid_Vicious
09-16-2002, 09:54 AM
That's the best idea, if in the future there is an anonomous reply to one of my posts, I'll simply figure them unworthy and leave them unopened. If people won't even go to the trouble of making some kind of a name up, then it tells me something about their character...sid

09-16-2002, 10:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Being that we ALL know the feeling of fear,sorrow,panic,paranoia due to 9/11(which many have overcome and turned into courage and bravery)Why have you allowed it to come to this website?

<hr></blockquote>

Isn't this is bit overboard?

TomBrooklyn
09-16-2002, 11:11 AM
Compare this forum to the founding of America as a nation. There were trials and tribulations but also successes and achievements. There were disagreements and debate, but all worked together towards a common goal.

Someday, someone will write a song about BD CBB that we will all sing together. And someday, there will be a flag...

=TB=

09-16-2002, 11:21 AM
I think comparing the effects of anonymous posts to 9/11 is rediculous.

09-16-2002, 11:59 AM
"If people won't even go to the trouble of
making some kind of a name up, then it tells me something about their character...sid "

Do you see anything inherently silly about this statement? Do you really believe a pretentious, made-up ID name to post under, really gives you any more reality or credibility to the reader than "Anonymous"? In all fairness, many of those posters with handles, DO give their real names periodicaly; but so what! They are still essentially every bit as anonymous. Otherwise why not post with your full name? There aren't very many who do that! Check the profiles. Why do people leave out all of their personal information? Having a "name" doesn't guarantee that you have a legitmate identity or that your posts have any integrity. Most people are attracted to these forums initially BECAUSE they can invent a persona that is greater than the reality.

heater451
09-16-2002, 12:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> . . .In all fairness, many of those posters with handles, DO give their real names periodicaly; but so what! They are still essentially every bit as anonymous. Otherwise why not post with your full name? There aren't very many who do that! Check the profiles. Why do people leave out all of their personal information? Having a "name" doesn't guarantee that you have a legitmate identity or that your posts have any integrity. Most people are attracted to these forums initially BECAUSE they can invent a persona that is greater than the reality. <hr></blockquote>The major difference is, that having a registered persona allows others to identify a poster as someone they wish to read or not.

Since "Anonymous" is often the 'name' given for belligerent posts, then one will miss on any interesting/useful posts under that moniker. If Sid chooses to ignore any replies by "Anonymous", then he would miss your point--although I almost suspect you of posting as such, just to see if he replies. . . .

Also, many times I have seen that the defenders of allowing "Anonymous" posts like to use the fact that some people post "Good" information anonymously. For example, Q-guy, Fran, and ####leonard, prior to registering (although, Q-guy and Fran usually overwrote "anonymous", in the necessary field).---The point is, if someone posts with "Anonymous", and has something worthwhile to read, then it may get ignored, if "Anonymous" posts are unilaterally ignored (due to the "Bad" anony posts).

BTW, another benefit to being registered, is that no one can pretend to be a registered member (at least, not easily). And, we've already seen that checking IP numbers gets us nowhere. . . .

======================

09-16-2002, 12:28 PM
"Since "Anonymous" is often the 'name' given for belligerent posts, then one will miss on any interesting/useful posts under that moniker."

You make a very good point here. I just don't really care very much about whether my posts are read by anyone other than the person that I am replying to.

"If Sid chooses to ignore any replies by "Anonymous", then he would miss your point--although I almost suspect you of posting as such, just to see if he replies. . . . "

You are a clever person! :-)

CarolNYC
09-16-2002, 02:46 PM
Really?
Well, I posted a simple update on a qualifier we just played and seen two people attacking one another,a coward hiding in the shadows and the blaming of an innocent bystander and then the panic to search for IP addresses!I was NOT comparing the event of 9/11 because there is NO comparison and hopefully in our futures,never will be-the comparison was to the actions of terrorist and their effects!

CarolNYC
09-16-2002, 02:48 PM
Cuechick,Nostroke&amp;Chris,
Im winking!Stay well!
Carol